Repost: News & Mail Software Experiences

Repost: News & Mail Software Experiences

Post by Howard Aro » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have used Forte's FreeAgent as a Usenet reader/poster, and
PegasusMail as an e-mail client for years under Win 3.1, WfWG 3.11
and Win95. They are both outstanding for ease of use and intuitive
operation out of the box, IMHO.

OK, I'm a Linux newbie (SuSE 5.2, kernel 2.0.33) and I haven't a
clue as to every mail/news client out there. But, I've tried Mutt
(OK, but reusing addresses is a pain, and so is configuring sendmail
and fetchmail). I've tried Netscape (dies unless PPP connection is
up -- no offline mail writing; news reader is so-so at best), tin
(read the man page -- huh?) and knews (looks like it ought to be a
good newsreader, but always wants to get every damn group from the
NNTP server)

So, this is a cry for help. Are there apps out there that work as
well as FreeAgent and Pegasus?

OK, let the flames begin.
--
Howard Arons
To reply change the 1's to lower case L's

Post by Nicolai Lennart Peters » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I have used Forte's FreeAgent as a Usenet reader/poster, and
>PegasusMail as an e-mail client for years under Win 3.1, WfWG 3.11
>and Win95. They are both outstanding for ease of use and intuitive
>operation out of the box, IMHO.

>OK, I'm a Linux newbie (SuSE 5.2, kernel 2.0.33) and I haven't a
>clue as to every mail/news client out there. But, I've tried Mutt
>(OK, but reusing addresses is a pain, and so is configuring sendmail
>and fetchmail). I've tried Netscape (dies unless PPP connection is
>up -- no offline mail writing; news reader is so-so at best), tin
>(read the man page -- huh?) and knews (looks like it ought to be a
>good newsreader, but always wants to get every damn group from the
>NNTP server)

>So, this is a cry for help. Are there apps out there that work as
>well as FreeAgent and Pegasus?

I user SLRN for news, en retrives mail with fetchmail and reads them with
ELM.

SLRN URL http://space.mit.edu/%7Edavis/slrn.html

--
Regards

Nicolai Petersen

* Rigtige noerder koerer i text mode *

Post by Carl Fi » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> . . . I've tried Netscape (dies unless PPP connection is
>up -- no offline mail writing; news reader is so-so at best)

I don't recommend Navigator for a mail reader, but you can use it
offline by installing your own mail transfer agent (I use smail) and
configuring Navigator to use that as its SMTP server.  Do the same
with news (install inn or equivalent and point the browser at it, and
use suck to download the news) and both are offline, even if Navigator
doesn't know that.

However, again, I don't recommend either.

I'm a text mode person, I read mail with elm (which I'll bet you'd
hate) and news with slrn.
--

Q. Why do some people take astrology seriously?
a. Because they have unusually small brains.    --Dave Barry

Repost: News & Mail Software Experiences

Post by brian moo » Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:19:27 GMT,

Quote:> I have used Forte's FreeAgent as a Usenet reader/poster, and
> PegasusMail as an e-mail client for years under Win 3.1, WfWG 3.11
> and Win95. They are both outstanding for ease of use and intuitive
> operation out of the box, IMHO.

From what I've heard of them, that is a common feeling.  Pegasus gets
extra brownie points for their anti-spam licensing.

Quote:> OK, I'm a Linux newbie (SuSE 5.2, kernel 2.0.33) and I haven't a
> clue as to every mail/news client out there. But, I've tried Mutt
> (OK, but reusing addresses is a pain, and so is configuring sendmail
> and fetchmail). I've tried Netscape (dies unless PPP connection is
> up -- no offline mail writing; news reader is so-so at best), tin
> (read the man page -- huh?) and knews (looks like it ought to be a
> good newsreader, but always wants to get every damn group from the
> NNTP server)

For mail, I used to use ml (http://people.netscape.com/max/ml/),
though I have since discovered mutt and fell in love with it.  It
may take you a bit to get used to it if you didn't use Elm, but it is
a very powerful mail client, and incredibly flexible.  It's well
worth learning.  I'm not sure what you mean about 'reusing addresses'.
Mutt does support an address book and it's actually the first one I've
bothered to use, since I like how it fits into things.

I used to use Knews for news (you can configure it to not get the entire
newsgroup list (aka 'active') on each connect, though: try the -active
option.  Since then, I found slrn, which is much faster and has far
better kill-file support.

Quote:> So, this is a cry for help. Are there apps out there that work as
> well as FreeAgent and Pegasus?

Don't confuse 'ease of learning' with 'ease of use'.  Mutt and Slrn are
both incredibly powerful and easy to use, though they may take more time
to learn than Agent or Pegasus.  The time spent learning them will
reward you greatly.

--
Brian Moore                             Kill A Spammer For Jesus
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker, Usenet Vandal

Post by Jon Wals » Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> So, this is a cry for help. Are there apps out there that work as
> well as FreeAgent and Pegasus?

I like Gnus and XFMail.

YMMV.
--

Certified Psychic and Healtheologist   | WWW   :  http://www.skepticult.org
True/False Prophet and Fearless Leader | IRC   :  Undernet #skepticult

Post by Jon Gunnar R » Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I have used Forte's FreeAgent as a Usenet reader/poster, and

>So, this is a cry for help. Are there apps out there that work as
>well as FreeAgent and Pegasus?

I came from the windoze world. Used Eudora for mail, and Agent for news. In
my new life I have started to use slrn for reading local news spool set up
by leafnode.

For my mail I use XFMail.

It works well.

--

Jon Gunnar Rue
Running RedHat Linux

Repost: News & Mail Software Experiences

Post by Howard Aro » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Posted & e-mailed.

>> . . . I've tried Netscape (dies unless PPP connection is
>>up -- no offline mail writing; news reader is so-so at best)

>I don't recommend Navigator for a mail reader, but you can use it
>offline by installing your own mail transfer agent (I use smail) and
>configuring Navigator to use that as its SMTP server.  Do the same
>with news (install inn or equivalent and point the browser at it, and
>use suck to download the news) and both are offline, even if Navigator
>doesn't know that.

>However, again, I don't recommend either.

>I'm a text mode person, I read mail with elm (which I'll bet you'd
>hate) and news with slrn.
>--

In fact, I do have smail and can get it to send outbound mail in
tests. But I'm damned if I can figure out how to get Netscape to use
it. I set the SMTP mailserver name to "localhost," but when I try to

"couldn't open a connection to the server."

Should smail be running as a daemon? Is localhost the wrong setting?
Should my host.conf file say "order hosts bind" to do a local search
first?

Any suggestions appreciated.

--
Howard Arons
To reply change the 1's to lower case L's

1. Special Issue of Software Practice & Experience on Web Software

               SOFTWARE PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE:

                        CALL FOR SUBMISSION

The World Wide Web has become an extremely popular Internet application, with
both individuals and organisations producing Web pages.  The underlying
representation used in the Web, HTML, is not easy to read or write.
Consequently, many groups are building software that helps create and manage
Web pages.

The editors of the journal `Software, Practice and Experience' are especially
interested in receiving submissions that describe Web software.  The articles
will be published in a special issue in Spring of 1997.  To be part of the
special issue, submissions must be received by 30 September 1996.

All submissions must meet the normal scholarly standards for the journal; they
will be subjected to peer review like other articles.

Please see the journal for details of the submission procedure.

Andy Wellings
European Editor

2. SNMP Trap

3. UTexas Mail-to-News Gateway reposting articles?

4. backup more than 2GB

5. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions

6. 2.5 x86 promotion?

7. Help: Install RH 6.0, Mylex 250.

8. mail -> news; news -> mail

9. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions