Mandrake 8.1 shutdown hangs on shutting down interface eth0 (?)

Mandrake 8.1 shutdown hangs on shutting down interface eth0 (?)

Post by Jeroen Walrave » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 06:55:58

Hi, (clich isn't it :p )
I've tried a few distro over the years (mandrake, redhat, slack, deb)
and i was kinda satisfied with all of em.
The reason I installed mandrake again is that my new 3d-card's
manufacturor (hercules) only had decent linux drivers as RPM's, and I
had mandrake 8.1 lying around on CDrom.
Everything works fine, and if it doesn't, it's had allways been
fixable.
I don't shutdown allot, but when i do, the damned thing hangs at
shutting down interface eth0. (I get online by cable)
I don't have a clue why this happens...
Has anyone encountered this prob before? Or does anyone know why this
happens/have a clue on how to fix this?
I'd greatly apreciate any help, even if your tip doesn't work, you'll
have my thanks for trying ;)
Greets

Mandrake 8.1 shutdown hangs on shutting down interface eth0 (?)

Post by Marco Sha » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:46:02

What might happen if you try to shut down the interface in multi-user
mode (while the system is still fully running)?

Not sure about Mandrake, but typically all Linux systems will shutdown
an interface by simply issuing 'ifconfig eth0 down'.

Marco
Remove the 'z' on my address to email me