How do I install the slackware package from my hard drive?

How do I install the slackware package from my hard drive?

Post by Theodor W Reic » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have purchased the QUE edition of Using Linux. It provides a CD for
creating the root and boot. In the setup file there are options for
have transfered the slacksrc files to my hard drive. In the setup
options it allows you to load from dos. In order to install from the
hard disk you must have a partition with a directory containing the
slackware that each disk other than the boot is contained in a
subdirectory.What does this mean? The Dos partition, that contains the
slackware is in the #3 partition so is it dev/hda3? I thought that was
first logical partition on drive A?
This is not clear. The next step, Now we need to know what subdirectory
the slackware sources can be found in. You must give a directory name
relative to the top of the partition. I don't understand this. I tried
entering /dev/hda3 to the first step and then /dev/hda3/C:/doa/A and
others like it. I may be just suffering from serious lameness and thank
you in advance for your reply.

Post by Tom Schaef » Mon, 25 Dec 1995 04:00:00

~~~>    |     I have purchased the QUE edition of Using Linux. It provides a CD for
~~~>    |     creating the root and boot. In the setup file there are options for

Whoa .... slow down pardner ...

What they don't provide is clear instructions.

Take the CD to a DOS/Win machine that has a working CD ROM drive on
it.

In one of those subdirectories on the CD, you will find rootdisks.144
and bootdisks.144.  Under Slakware, you make 2 diskettes from diskette
images. One is the first boot, diskette, and after you boot up with
it, you will be asked for another diskette. These diskettes are loaded
into a VFS - Virtual File System in memory.

So, first, make a BARE diskette and a COLOR144 diskette. I have
installed from CD-ROM and over NFS - it works but it's tricky, and the
planets have to be lined up properly for it to work.

Copy the bare.tgz file and the color144.tgz files to a temp directory.
Using a DOS version of GZIP.EXE, you GZIP (like pkunzip) the tgz
files. What you're left with is BARE and COLOR144 files, and the
original archives are deleted.

Oh - so I extract the diskette images from tgz files into the dos dir.
Now, run RAWRITE. RAWRITE will ask you for a source file - OHHHHHHH -
lemme guess BARE? Yes. Then it wants a target - A:

Let it copy the BARE and then do COLOR144. Now you have two diskettes
to boot a machine up with. You can test them at this time on your
target machine. RAWRITE will spray the diskette images from the temp
dir to floppy diskettes.

Next, you should get a shitload of diskettes and make (from the
subdirectories on the CD) the A, AP, D, N series of diskettes. You do
this by copying the stuff from each directory onto a regular DOS
formatted diskette. What the slakkers have done is composed an install
system that uses 2 Linux diskettes and regular DOS diskettes to
install the software onto the target machine.

The slakker installer will read the dos diskettes just fine. If you
want to skip the D series - fine, it contains compiler stuff that can
be installed later.

So, boot up with BARE, answer the 'boot:' prompt by just hitting
enter. Then, it will ask you for another diskette, I think it
erroneously asks for a boot diskette - ignore that - they mean stick
in the COLOR144 diskette and hit enter. After both diskettes have been
loaded into memory, you are invited to login as 'root'. Do so.

Then, the temptation to run Setup is normal. Don't. First you need to
run the Linux version of FDISK. So at the prompt run fdisk. A menu
driven program runs and offers you a bunch of choices.
Here's what you need to know. You need at least 2 partitions. Make one
that takes up a majority of the drive. It will be flagged as Type 83,
Linux native.Add another partition for SWAP space. you will need to
manually toggle it to type 82, Linux swap. I have no clue about how
big to make it, figure about 20mb. This is poorly documented.

Once you've created the partition structure you want, WRITE IT TO DISK
and REBOOT. DOn't try to run setup until after you reboot. Stick the
BARE diskette back in, then follow with COLOR144.

Now you can run Setup after you login. Set the installer to QUICK
mode, format the type 83 partition, use the defaults and you should
get it done just fine. They'll ask you for diskette sets, X the ones
you want and start feeding diskettes into it.

You will get a prompt that asks if you want to install from a
partition, CD rom, floppies, over NFS - use floppies until you
understand the install process better.

Oh, if the BARE diskette doesn't work, slakkers have included other
diskette images that support various SCSI and/or IDE systems. USe the
WHICH ONE file to determine which one you need. BARE usually works
fine.

Good Luck!

http://www.icon-stl.net/~netd                  The Internet Nut

How do I install the slackware package from my hard drive?

Post by st.. » Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have purchased the QUE edition of Using Linux. It provides a CD for
>creating the root and boot. In the setup file there are options for

Hmmm.... what CD do you have? I know that the 3.0 version of slackware
does have support for a lot of CDs, and that the Linux development team
is committed to getting as many CDs as possible supported as possible.

Occasionally, a CD company will make people who want to develop a driver
for their CD sign a NDA. This makes it impossible to do a Linux port, becuase
of the way the source code to Linux *must* be freely available.

Also, One problem with buying the book is that, although you get the
really helpful information in the book, you also get a dated version of
slackware. One solution is, for people who have never installed Linux
before, to get a free Linux CD from this source:

http://emile.math.ucsb.edu:8000/giveaway.html

Quote:>So I
>have transfered the slacksrc files to my hard drive. In the setup
>options it allows you to load from dos. In order to install from the
>hard disk you must "have a partition with a directory containing the
>slackware such that each disk other than the boot disk is contained in a
>subdirectory". What does this mean?

That quote is quite a mouthful! This means that you just have to an "XCOPY
/s *.*" from the cd to your hard disk of whatever directory contains a lot
of directories with names like "A1", "A2", "A3", and so on.

You basiclly want a directory somewhere that looks like this:

[example]
D:\ROOT\SLAKWARE>dir

 Volume in drive D is /
 Directory of D:\ROOT\SLAKWARE

.            <DIR>         10-07-95   9:21a
..           <DIR>         12-20-95   8:59p
00_INDEX TXT           527 09-04-95   7:41p
A1           <DIR>         09-27-95   2:48p
A2           <DIR>         09-27-95   2:46p
A3           <DIR>         09-27-95   2:46p
A4           <DIR>         09-27-95   2:46p
A5           <DIR>         09-27-95   2:49p
[and so on...]

Quote:> The Dos partition, that contains the
>slackware is in the #3 partition so is it dev/hda3?

Do a fdisk -l from the Unix prompt ("#"), and look for a partition name
that says "DOS" in the right-hand column. That is the partition that
is you MS-DOS partition. In setup, look for a selection like "Select
Source Media", and select "Install from a hard drive partition". Select
the partition that said "DOS" in the right column when you did "fdisk -l",
and when it asks you what directory you want the slackware sources in,
select the directory name that gave you a DIR listing like the one I had
above (using the above example, it would be "/root/slakware"), taking
care to replace "\" with "/".

Quote:>I tried entering /dev/hda3 to the first step and then /dev/hda3/C:/doa/A
>and others like it.

See above. "/dev/hda3" and "/doa" might be legitimate examples, for example.

OBTW, once you do get Linux up and going, you can, amoung other things,
use your "ix" Netcom account to directly hook up to the internet inside
Linux. In other words, you can run Telnet, Netscape, Mosaic, and many
other internet-specific applications (including server applications--
Unix's great strength) while in Linux, using your NetCruiser account.

--

Post by Chris Peti » Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>OBTW, once you do get Linux up and going, you can, amoung other things,
>use your "ix" Netcom account to directly hook up to the internet inside
>Linux. In other words, you can run Telnet, Netscape, Mosaic, and many
>other internet-specific applications (including server applications--
>Unix's great strength) while in Linux, using your NetCruiser account.

        Just had to add my $.02 here.  This is exactly what I do.  I use
Linux to access e-mail, news, and the Web (via Netscape).  What I find highly
amusing is that Linux TCP/IP is supposedly in beta, right?  It seems much more
stable and better at sharing a PPP connection across processes than Win95's
TCP/IP stack.

        I hardly ever use dos/Win95 anymore.

Post by s.. » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have purchased the QUE edition of Using Linux. It provides a CD for
>creating the root and boot. In the setup file there are options for
>have transfered the slacksrc files to my hard drive. In the setup
>options it allows you to load from dos. In order to install from the
>hard disk you must have a partition with a directory containing the
>slackware that each disk other than the boot is contained in a
>subdirectory.What does this mean?

It simply means that you create a subdirectory called, for instance,
"slakware". In this directory you create one directory for each of the
slackwaredisks. For example" X1", " X2", " X3", " X4" etc.etc.etc.
etc.etc.etc....
Copy the files from the CD to their respective directories.
Quote:> The Dos partition, that contains the
>slackware is in the #3 partition so is it dev/hda3? I thought that was
>first logical partition on drive A?

If your dospart. is /dev/hda3 then so it is, It doesnt really matter
what number is on the partition.
Quote:>This is not clear. The next step, Now we need to know what subdirectory
>the slackware sources can be found in. You must give a directory name
>relative to the top of the partition. I don't understand this. I tried
>entering /dev/hda3 to the first step and then /dev/hda3/C:/doa/A and
>others like it.

In the above example you should point out  the slackwarefiles with
/dev/hda3/slakware (if the "slakware"directory is located directly
under the rootdirectory of your dospart, that is.).

Quote:> I may be just suffering from serious lameness and thank
>you in advance for your reply.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!
If youve got a rootFLOPPY dont try to load the A-package from
floppies unless youve got a second drive to put them in.

Best wishes, good luck and a happy new year.

Sir N

(Currently running Caldera Desktop Preview II)

1. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

OK, here's my situation...
First off, I have installed Linux slackware before but it was 3.4 and it
was just directly from the cdrom... Yes, I am a newbie... Now I am
trying to install slackware 3.5(from scratch-no upgrade) from a
FAT16(DOS/Windows) harddrive of which I downloaded all the necessary
files onto... The windows drive also obviously also has Windows(95) on
it. I now have this HD with all the files on it, as Primary slave...It
is a 3.2 Gig drive though, so, it is HDB1, HDB2, and HDB5, when detected
by linux...I have put the drive I want to install linux onto as primary
master, so i can boot either into windows or linux...the drive i am
trying to install to is only a 541 Meg drive... how can i install to the
541M drive from the 3.2 Gig drive? I am just using the Bare.I bootdisk,
and Color.gz rootdisk... When I try and just install from another hard
drive, and set the source partition and directory, it says the directory
doesn't exist on that partition, though I know it does. I assume it
hasn't mounted the drive yet, when I exit setup, i look at that
partition and it looks as if it's not mounted.(doesn't show any files in
the specified directory).   Anybody have any suggestions???

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Preferably email me at

TecMaster

2. Solaris 10 u1 odd ipfilter issue

3. Need help installing Slackware from Dos Hard Disk

4. Help: Example libiptc

5. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

6. problem when trying to download the files to complete the installion

7. Installing packages onto Debian from hard drive - perl problem?

8. Printing API

9. Installing Slackware on Gateway 266 with Ultra ATA hard drive - PROBLEMS!!

10. Linux install from DOS partition on hard drive?

11. Linux install from Hard Drive corrupted my DOS partition

12. Installing new hard drive....done.

13. Installing Slackware Linux 2.0.2 on 1 GB EIDE Hard Drive