Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by twam » Sun, 20 May 2001 04:08:17

I am looking for some software that would let you run your lunux PC from a
remote location such as one can do with Telnet but I would like an
application that would let you run GUI applications instead of just the
command lines that Telnet has.  If possible I would like to run the remote
software from a Windows PC.

Is there such software available?

Thanks
tom

Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by Grant Edwar » Sun, 20 May 2001 04:16:57

>I am looking for some software that would let you run your lunux PC from a
>remote location such as one can do with Telnet but I would like an
>application that would let you run GUI applications instead of just the
>command lines that Telnet has.  If possible I would like to run the remote
>software from a Windows PC.

>Is there such software available?

Yes.

X11 works across the network.  It was designed that way from
the beginning to allow exactly what you want to do.  You do
need an X11 server to run on the Windows PC.

VNC does what you want, is free, and cross platform.  It's
performance is a bit worse than running a real X server, but
it's easier to install and run under Windows than is an X
server.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I joined scientology
                                  at               at a garage sale!!

Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Sun, 20 May 2001 06:07:36

> VNC does what you want, is free, and cross platform.  It's
> performance is a bit worse than running a real X server

        Considering that VNC includes compression, whereas X does not, you're
basically alleging that VNC is seriously broken...  It's also not been my
experience that VNC is in and of itself slower than pure X.  It may seem that
way at times because you're displaying an entire desktop with VNC as opposed
to the single window you're usually displaying with X, but if you tune your
X session to VNC's preferences (large areas of flat color, as little
animation as possible) its performance can be very impressive.

JDW

Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by Grant Edwar » Sun, 20 May 2001 12:07:59

>> VNC does what you want, is free, and cross platform.  It's
>> performance is a bit worse than running a real X server

>Considering that VNC includes compression, whereas X does not,
>you're basically alleging that VNC is seriously broken...  It's
>also not been my experience that VNC is in and of itself slower
>than pure X.  It may seem that way at times because you're
>displaying an entire desktop with VNC as opposed to the single
>window you're usually displaying with X, but if you tune your X
>session to VNC's preferences (large areas of flat color, as
>little animation as possible) its performance can be very
>impressive.

I always ran VNC in "screen scraper" mode as opposed to running
it as an X-Server under Unix.  It seemed a bit slow that way,
but I spent 99% of my time with VNC running the server under
Win32 and the client under X11.  You're right: there's no
reason that running VNC as an X server should be slow.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I know how to get the
                                  at               hostesses released! Give

Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 20 May 2001 09:59:25

> I am looking for some software that would let you run your lunux PC from a
> remote location such as one can do with Telnet but I would like an
> application that would let you run GUI applications instead of just the
> command lines that Telnet has.  If possible I would like to run the remote
> software from a Windows PC.

> Is there such software available?

Sure.  The X window system was designed from the start to be
networkable.  If you telnet (or ssh) into the remote machine you
simply tell it to display on the local machine.  Eg "export
DISPLAY=local.machine:0.0"  You do need to have an X server
running on the local machine to run the display locally.

--

Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by Bob Hau » Mon, 21 May 2001 07:44:00

On 18 May 2001 21:07:36 GMT, Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

> > VNC does what you want, is free, and cross platform.  It's
> > performance is a bit worse than running a real X server

>    Considering that VNC includes compression, whereas X does not,

But VNC doesn't know what it is displaying, and X does.  The VNC client
is not very smart and basically only knows how to display bitmaps.  An X
server supports a much more sophisticated protocol.

I use VNC a lot, and like it, but X is usually faster, even without
compression.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by Dan Merc » Tue, 22 May 2001 21:11:11

> On 18 May 2001 21:07:36 GMT, Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

>> > VNC does what you want, is free, and cross platform.  It's
>> > performance is a bit worse than running a real X server

>>        Considering that VNC includes compression, whereas X does not,

> But VNC doesn't know what it is displaying, and X does.  The VNC client
> is not very smart and basically only knows how to display bitmaps.  An X
> server supports a much more sophisticated protocol.

> I use VNC a lot, and like it, but X is usually faster, even without
> compression.

Well,  I usually telecommute 2 days a week using ReflectionX over
a cable modem.  I use VNC to connect to my work NT box.  But
Friday I needed to start a job from work,  let it run,  then
connect in from home and finish it.  The bad news,  the VNC on my
HP totally sux, crashing the clients whenever the mouse pointer
hits the edges (even tho the virtual window size was smaller than
the actual screen size).  So I fired up another Xvnc on my Linux
box (I manage the Linux box with Vnc) and that worked as
expected.

I was shocked to see just how much faster than ReflectionX VNC
was. About the only problem I encountered was that the Insert key
wasn't mapped.  I don't think I'm going back to ReflectionX.
I use nedit primarily as my editor,  and the menu based cut and
paste appears to be very network intensive.  It's virtually
unusable over ReflectionX,  but almost instantaneous over
VNC.

I simply cannot buy the argument that X is faster.  It certainly
is not my experience.

--
Dan Mercer

Looking for a GUI telnet

Post by Bob Hau » Wed, 23 May 2001 05:31:42

Quote:>I was shocked to see just how much faster than ReflectionX VNC
>was.

Your mileage varies, I guess.  WinAXE in full-screen mode is faster than VNC
here, over 100 Mbit ethernet.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

1. Qt 0.97 released (C++ GUI toolkit with Motif look and feel)

             ^^^^^^^^^^^

IMO, this now makes Qt the best GUI toolkit for Unix programmers.  As an
example of what is possible, check out my Qt NetHack interface at:
http://student.uq.edu.au/~s002434/nhqt/ (includes screenshot).  Notice that
NetHack is a get-a-key oriented program, yet because of the strength of Qt,
I could write that interface - and it is platform independent (I haven't
checked myself, but I've had confirmation that it compiles file under FreeBSD).
Qt is totally C++, so you are freed from all the intricacies of X11
programming and the lack of type checking in C-based systems such as XView,
Xt, and Motif; yet it is FAST - based on Xlib, NOT Motif, etc., but still
with the characteristic look and feel of Motif (actually, you can also set
it into "Windows" mode, in which case it uses MS-Windows style buttons etc).

And, UNLIKE MOTIF, we can all make and use dynamic binaries - so your programs
are small and fast (Under 10K is possible for small programs, for example).

My personal favourite part of Qt is the excellent documentation - all
fully cross-referenced HTML - beats damned man section 3 any day!!

Check it out.

--
Warwick
--

/     * <- Comp Sci Department, McD: http://student.uq.edu.au/~s002434/mcl.html
\_.-._/    Univ. of Queensland, POV: http://student.uq.edu.au/~s002434/pov.html

2. Olympus TuneUp 5.0 on OSR5

3. Looking for a user friendly gui fax program

4. EV700 Monitor Settings

5. Looking for a GUI library.

6. BUG: PCI driver 64-bit bar size

7. Looking for Gui development tool for PC & Unix

8. netware server from Caldera?

9. HELP - Looking for a GUI based Generic Installation Utility

10. Linux GUI looks DOSsy

11. Looking for GUI - TOOL (DOS and LINUX)

12. looking for a very small GUI email client

13. Looking for a GUI terminal emulator for Linux