Something like MS-Exchange for Linux?

Post by Mohd-Hanafiah Abdull » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Is there something like MS-Exchange for Linux?  Would be nice to have to
convince our MIS folks even more to go Linux.  Thanks.

Napi

Post by Timothy J. L » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

|Is there something like MS-Exchange for Linux?  Would be nice to have to
|convince our MIS folks even more to go Linux.  Thanks.

For just mail (which a lot of people seem to buy Microsoft Exchange
for), sendmail or qmail + IMAP / POP server will do it.

If you're using the other "groupware" stuff, it depends on what
other features you are using.

Post by Jim » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Is there something like MS-Exchange for Linux?  Would be nice to have to
>convince our MIS folks even more to go Linux.  Thanks.

Since Linux has been targeted at the geek market not the commercial market, it
currently does NOT have anything as comprehensive as Exchange Server (as you
probably know, the mail client is an entirely different thing - outlook,
eudora, etc. can connect to exchange).  Since it is highly unlikely that MS
will port exchange to Linux and IBM/Lotus just announced that they will not
port domino/notes to Linux, you are kind of stuck.

Another option might be HP Openmail on Linux.  Currently it runs on HP-UX, but
if enough folks ask them, maybe they will port it to Linux (shouldn't be that
hard).  As far as I know the commercial e-mail/groupware market is pretty much
owned by these three packages.

The bottom line is:

  o  You can use linux but you give up a lot of functionality with sendmail.
  o  Use exchange on Win NT
  o  Use domino/notes on Win NT
  o  Use Openmail on HP-UX or get HP to port it to Linux

Hopefully in the next year the geek linux market will get shoved aside by the
commercial Linux market and we can start getting some decent commercial
apps.

Jim G.

Something like MS-Exchange for Linux?

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hopefully in the next year the geek linux market will get shoved aside
>by the commercial Linux market and we can start getting some decent
>commercial apps.

If the "geek Linux market" is, as you say, "shoved aside," then this is
likely to be the death of Linux development as we know it now.

The creation of new facilities on Linux has been driven by the presence
of all those "geeks."  If shoved aside, then the only way you'll see
new development is via commercial development efforts.  And Linux will
be "dead," with the caveat that many people won't notice...

--
"End users are just test loads for verifying that the system works, kind of
like resistors in an electrical circuit." - Kaz Kylheku in c.o.l.d.s

Post by Tony Hoy » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>[snippage]
>The analogue to "Samba" for MS-Exchange on Linux would substantially alter the
>operating system landscape.

>Please tell anyone who has a chance of starting this, about this idea.
>Please write the "Samba" of MS-Exchange!

I've thought of this myself... it would be great to load the exchange
client into outlook & point it at a linux server.

I suppose you'd have to start with a packet sniffer (ethereal?) &
examine the packet exchange between outlook and a running exchange
server, then try to duplicate it on a linux box.  Only when the
protocol was worked out (partially would do) would it be sensible to
write an exchange-samba.

I'd do it here but we run sendmail (on NT ugh!) not exchange.

Possibly someone could capture a few of the required 'conversations'
on their network & post a zip somewhere? (be careful of security
though).

Tony

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted
for the change to take effect. Reboot now?  [ OK ]

Post by Shelton Garn » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>[snippage]
>>The analogue to "Samba" for MS-Exchange on Linux would substantially alter the
>>operating system landscape.

>>Please tell anyone who has a chance of starting this, about this idea.
>>Please write the "Samba" of MS-Exchange!

>I've thought of this myself... it would be great to load the exchange
>client into outlook & point it at a linux server.

>I suppose you'd have to start with a packet sniffer (ethereal?) &
>examine the packet exchange between outlook and a running exchange
>server, then try to duplicate it on a linux box.  Only when the
>protocol was worked out (partially would do) would it be sensible to
>write an exchange-samba.

>I'd do it here but we run sendmail (on NT ugh!) not exchange.

>Possibly someone could capture a few of the required 'conversations'
>on their network & post a zip somewhere? (be careful of security
>though).

I suspect that Oracle is going to be the company that provides Linux
with its Exchange equivalent. They've shown an interest in Linux in
general and they got the apps (which were roundly ignored in the
Wintel world, apparently.)

lee

L. Shelton Bumgarner -- Keeper of the Great Renaming FAQ
Nattering Nabob of Narcissism * http://www.nottowayez.net/~leebum/
ICQ#: 9393354 * "Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time
to reform." -- Mark Twain

Post by Matthias Wark » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Jim G schrieb:

> >Is there something like MS-Exchange for Linux?  Would be nice to have to
> >convince our MIS folks even more to go Linux.  Thanks.

> Since Linux has been targeted at the geek market not the commercial market,

<SLAP>
Silly Guy(TM)!
Linux isn't targeted at any market at all!

[schnibble]

Quote:> Hopefully in the next year the geek linux market will get shoved aside by the
> commercial Linux market and we can start getting some decent commercial
> apps.

Oh gee.
Here we go again.

mawa
--

My site was cracked by some * idiots this summer. It will go up
on another server soon. 'mawaspace' on Angelfire is not mine anymore.

Post by j.. » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:nbyoung writes:
> Someone, please, write the equivalent to "Samba" of MS-Exchange for
> Linux!

Just to satisfy my curiousity, would you tell me what MS-Exchange does that
makes it so special?  I'm not being sarcastic: I use no MS software, and I
really don't know.
--
John Hasler                This posting is in the public domain.

Dancing Horse Hill         Make money from it if you can; I don't mind.
Elmwood, Wisconsin         Do not send email adverti*ts to this address.

1. Linux <-> MS-Exchange Coexistence

While I'm donning my asbestos underwear, let me preface this post by saying
I've been a Linux advocate and user since 1996.

That being said, I need to get a Linux box to send/receive email with an
MS-Exchange server at work as part of a project to assess the feasibility
of Linux on our corporate desktops.  I've check out Ximian's Connector
for Evolution, but they don't yet support RedHat v8.0 and require
MS-Exchange 2000 (we're running v5.5).

Has anyone had any experience in this area?  Can I use standard
POP/IMAP/SMTP protocols if I don't need the groupware features (e.g.
calendar and addressbook - actually, I do need them, but I want to get
this running now while Ximian works on Connector).

Any, tips, tricks, traps, and FAQ's would be appreciated.  Thanks!

--
Scott Drumm             ---Those who beat their swords into plowshares

2. (Q) Problem with printconf in RedHat-7.1

3. LINUX & MS-EXCHANGE

4. ATM

5. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

6. Properties Missing on OL under Linux/XF386

7. Any linux/open-source mail clients that grok MS-exchange?

9. URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

10. LINUX & MS-EXCHANGE

11. MS-exchange and linux

12. Need final word on Linux and MS-Exchange

13. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server