386SX-16 with 8 Megs/120 HD...

Post by Mike Cast » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 14:57:09

Quote:>Is linux possible on this type of system?  I know that X is pretty much
>impossible, but simple console oriented tools (CSLIP/SLIP/PPP, and
>ELM/NN) would be great.

This pretty much matches my original linux system.  Compiles
generally take a while, but I still often did my CS homework
there on it rather than dialing up or going to a lab.

If you like graphics, there are several svgalib programs out,
just be sure you have a card supported by svgalib (svgalib
supports much fewer cards than xfree does, so you're somewhat
limited there if you want higher resolutions and 256 colors).

Now I continue to use my 386sx and a 386/33, both with 120 meg hd
and 8 megs memory, and cross mounting via nfs, nis, and so on.
Haven't had time to install X yet to even see how usable it is,
but I had no problems at all with just the 386sx.

mrc
--
Mike Castle .-=NEXUS=-.  Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly

    We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  -- Watchmen

386SX-16 with 8 Megs/120 HD...

Post by Brian D. Ki » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 01:03:56

Is linux possible on this type of system?  I know that X is pretty much
impossible, but simple console oriented tools (CSLIP/SLIP/PPP, and
ELM/NN) would be great.

Please reply be e-mail...
--
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Brian D. King, Computer Eng. 4 | Certified Amiga Developer, A2000/040 |

386SX-16 with 8 Megs/120 HD...

Post by jle.. » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 03:24:54

Quote:>Is linux possible on this type of system?  I know that X is pretty much
>impossible, but simple console oriented tools (CSLIP/SLIP/PPP, and
>ELM/NN) would be great.

It's going to be real slow...but I'm running 1.1.59 on a 386sx-20 with 6MB
RAM, 15 MB swap, and a 150 MB ext2 partition.  I installed A, AP, D, and N,
and then after getting a new kernel and ppp source, compiling them both, I
have about 71MB used and 74MB left.  This system is primarily my PPP server,
but I also get my mail from it, and had httpd running on it...until the drive
crashed yesterday.

                               |          OR

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu
Home site of NOS11cj...now up to 11cjc5a.exe...and moving to JNOS