kernel panic:unable to load vfs filesystem - linux-2.2.9config (0/1)

kernel panic:unable to load vfs filesystem - linux-2.2.9config (0/1)

Post by Fulvio » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I don't know how to do at this point with my new kernel.
I tried to recompile it to how many modules I could, enlarging my
kernel as less as possible.
I don't know how to do at this point with my new kernel.
I tried to recompile it to how many modules I could, enlarging my
kernel as less as possible.
I inserted in it the ext2 filesystem, but the boot has stopped with:
ppp line discipline  registered
request_module[block-major-3]:Root fs not mounted
VFS:Cannot open root device 03:42
Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:42
Just a question:03:42 are  the major and minor device number?
Thanx in advance for your answer, possibly both via newsgroup and
e-mail
I attach also the kernel config file... ;-)

kernel panic:unable to load vfs filesystem - linux-2.2.9config (0/1)

Post by Christian Casteyd » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

If you get a kernel panic at boot time, you may have not included filesystem
support for the filesystem on wich you placed the root partition. That is : the
kernel cannot even mount "/". So crash.

You MUST include support for your filesystem IN your kernel, not as a module. A
module is stored on the root parition (at least, in /lib/modules, but you must
have access to / to access modules). Therefore, the module FS cannot be loaded
until the FS is loaded, and the FS cannot be loaded since the module doesn't
load.

Therefore : answer 'Y' to "Filesystem support" for filesystem you use in your
kernel config.

Hope it'll be usefull.

Post by Collin W. Hitchco » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I don't know how to do at this point with my new kernel.
> I tried to recompile it to how many modules I could, enlarging my
> kernel as less as possible.
> I don't know how to do at this point with my new kernel.
> I tried to recompile it to how many modules I could, enlarging my
> kernel as less as possible.
> I inserted in it the ext2 filesystem, but the boot has stopped with:
> ppp line discipline  registered
> request_module[block-major-3]:Root fs not mounted

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In addition to ext2 filesystem support, you need to compile IDE
support and IDE disk support directly into the kernel (not as
modules).

Quote:> VFS:Cannot open root device 03:42
> Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:42
> Just a question:03:42 are  the major and minor device number?

Yes, in hexadecimal.  The kernel is trying to mount hdb2 as the root.
Is this correct?

Quote:> Thanx in advance for your answer, possibly both via newsgroup and
> e-mail
> I attach also the kernel config file... ;-)

No, you didn't.

Collin