win98 to Mandrake7.2 to SuSE?

Post by Bossma » Thu, 30 May 2002 10:07:45

Here's where I'm at. I installed 7.2 quite a while ago on a 400mhz
128ram with two hard drives. c drive is windows, d drive is windows
storage and  linux partition. Don;t  remeber how big I made the swap
etc... partitions. Anyway, a few months down the road I started to
have trouble with my dial up ISP and switched to cable. Heres where
things got screwey. When I booted 7.2 from grub, linux asked me for
login and password for my old dial up isp. Entereed pass and login, to
no avail, and then stopped trying for a long time. Tried it a month
ago, and it loaded right up, but only that one time.  Then windows
crashed. Now I have no access to Grub, so I tried to reinstall linux
7.2 so I can then try SuSE. I get an error message saying I have
negative disk space left. Reading through some of these posts makes me
realize that 7.2 has it's hangups, but I have no clue as to what to
try next. I was gonna repartition my d drive, but I have to much
important stuff on it that I can;t lose. I even have some work stuff
on it <s> . Anyway any help will be more than greatly appreciated.

Bossman

..... but not on linux....... yet

win98 to Mandrake7.2 to SuSE?

Post by Sinister Midge » Thu, 30 May 2002 13:57:37

On Tue, 28 May 2002 20:07:45 -0500, Bossman claimed:

Quote:> Here's where I'm at. I installed 7.2 quite a while ago on a 400mhz
> 128ram with two hard drives. c drive is windows, d drive is windows
> storage and  linux partition. Don;t  remeber how big I made the swap
> etc... partitions. Anyway, a few months down the road I started to
> have trouble with my dial up ISP and switched to cable. Heres where
> things got screwey. When I booted 7.2 from grub, linux asked me for
> login and password for my old dial up isp. Entereed pass and login, to
> no avail, and then stopped trying for a long time. Tried it a month
> ago, and it loaded right up, but only that one time.  Then windows
> crashed. Now I have no access to Grub, so I tried to reinstall linux
> 7.2 so I can then try SuSE. I get an error message saying I have
> negative disk space left. Reading through some of these posts makes me
> realize that 7.2 has it's hangups, but I have no clue as to what to
> try next. I was gonna repartition my d drive, but I have to much
> important stuff on it that I can;t lose. I even have some work stuff
> on it <s> . Anyway any help will be more than greatly appreciated.

> Bossman

> ..... but not on linux....... yet

Are you trying to do an install or an upgrade? If it isn't stable or
working, best to do an install. If that's what you were doing, try one of
these. In all instances, choose not to let it do automatic paritioning.
Otherwise it will attack your windoze stuff.

1. Go in with the installer, tell it to cleanly install things, do a custom
install, and pick less packages than the installer would use if you were
taking one of the canned installs. Make sure to tell it to format the
partitions so it doesn't try adding more to what's already there.

2. Go in with the installer using the option "expert" at the outset (as in
linux expert). When you get to type, select install, choose whatever type
you want (assuming Workstation here), tell it you want to manually select
packages, and deselect some of the things you don't need to make more
room. Again, make sure you tell it to format the existing paritions.

3. Add another drive and let it work with that. (My personal choice.)

--
Support organized crime: buy Microsoft products.

1. Suse Linux And Win98 in network for dummy

I would like to connect my PC with Linux Suse 5.3 and my laptop with
win98. Both have an ethernet card and can be directly connected. I have
understood that I should use SAMBA to do the connection, but I don't
know how !
Is there somewhere any basic help on the package to install, the
configuration to use for a simple network like this ?
How should I configure win98 to see my Linux server ? Should I use a
Novell emulation, start win98 in Novell client or Microsoft Network ?
Where should I tell Linux that my laptop is an user ? Is there any list
of host to configure ?

Thank you for any kind of help

2. MTD/JFFS and Flash 28F640 on Linux kernel 2.2.12

3. newbie: win98 and suse linux 6.4 on 30GB HD

4. please help

5. Using LILO to dual boot Win98 and SuSE

6. telnet to port 25 and qmail

7. Win98, 2000 and suse 6.2

8. arguments to xlC (shared libraries)

9. SuSe on Win98

10. Suse Install files onto CDRs using Win98?

11. Connecting win98 workstation to Suse 6.4 server

12. Suse Linux + Win98

13. WIN98 and Suse-Linux 6.1 Problems