Which Sound Card to Get?

Post by Young4er » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have just upgraded to SuSE-6.4 Distro Linux on my AMD-K6 400MHz
system.  What I would like to do is to add a soundcard on my Linux
system.  Currently, I have a choice to get either the MagicSound 16-Bit
SoundCard or the SQ1500 Quad PCI SoundCard.  I know the later uses the
Aureal 8810 Chipset and the Aureal only released the compiled Linux
driver as a module (I wished one day it will release the driver's
source).  I had tried to install such a precompiled driver to my system
for a Digital Research ThunderSound to no avail under Linux-2.2.14.  The
kernel kept complaining with version error messages.

Speaking about the Aureal driver for Linux, it currently only support
aureal 8810, 8820, and 8830 chipsets.  The question is which chipset has
more power and features?

--

PS> Remove the "4" from e-mail address to respond.

Which Sound Card to Get?

Post by David Tuppe » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Just my opinion but the SoundBlaster PCI128 and newer work well and are
supported in the 2.2.x kernels.

> Hi,

> I have just upgraded to SuSE-6.4 Distro Linux on my AMD-K6 400MHz
> system.  What I would like to do is to add a soundcard on my Linux
> system.  Currently, I have a choice to get either the MagicSound 16-Bit
> SoundCard or the SQ1500 Quad PCI SoundCard.  I know the later uses the
> Aureal 8810 Chipset and the Aureal only released the compiled Linux
> driver as a module (I wished one day it will release the driver's
> source).  I had tried to install such a precompiled driver to my system
> for a Digital Research ThunderSound to no avail under Linux-2.2.14.  The
> kernel kept complaining with version error messages.

> Speaking about the Aureal driver for Linux, it currently only support
> aureal 8810, 8820, and 8830 chipsets.  The question is which chipset has
> more power and features?

> --

> PS> Remove the "4" from e-mail address to respond.

1. Getting full duplex sound using two sound cards/iphone clone

The only thing that is keeping me from switching to using linux
all the time is the fact that I need to use iphone on a daily
basis.  Windows95 let me setup two soundcards for full duplex sound,
last time I checked (1.5 years ago) the linux drivers did not support
full duplex.  What I want to know is
1) Do the linux drivers support full duplex
2) Are there any voice programs that have sound quality as good as iphone?
Iphone sounds as good as the telephone.

Thanks
--
Anthony C.

2. 3310: Disk expansion

3. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

4. converting win partition to Linux...safely?

5. Possible Faqs on Sound cards <I have read the Sound card How 2>

6. SLIP for Solaris 1.1: A few questions

7. QT library RPM?

8. Sound: Replace beep with other sound thru pc speaker/sound card?

9. Getting sound card driver source

10. getting Aureal sound card working

11. Getting sound card to work...

12. Getting a VIBRA 16 sound card to work, under linux