PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

Post by Don Gra » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I've been experimenting setting up PLIP on two Linux boxes (following
the PLIP mini How-To.  I've been succesful to a point.  Both machines
have PLIP running (as reported by ifconfig) and route -n on each machine
shows the IP of the other machine.  I can also ping each machine
successfully. I can telnet from #2 to #1 but CANNOT telnet in the other
direction (I think it times out - 'Connection Reset By Foreign Host').
I'm using the same cable I use for Win95 Direct Cable Connection.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?  I'm using kernel
2.0.29 on both boxes.  Thanks!

Don Gray
(Remove NO-SPAM from email address)

PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

Post by James Va » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

On machine2, try the line:

route add default gw machine1 plip0

:
: Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?  I'm using kernel
: 2.0.29 on both boxes.  Thanks!
:
: Don Gray
: (Remove NO-SPAM from email address)

-!-

PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

Post by Dane » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> : the PLIP mini How-To.  I've been succesful to a point.  Both machines
> : have PLIP running (as reported by ifconfig) and route -n on each machine
> : shows the IP of the other machine.  I can also ping each machine
> : successfully. I can telnet from #2 to #1 but CANNOT telnet in the other
> : direction (I think it times out - 'Connection Reset By Foreign Host').
> : I'm using the same cable I use for Win95 Direct Cable Connection.

Make sure that inetd is running on machine #2.  That was my problem,
initially.  Without inetd, the telnet daemon won't start up when machine
#1 tries to initiate a connection.

--
Dane "Danger" Johnson

PGP Key fingerprint = 51 F5 D5 07 4B 7E EF D4  59 F1 26 72 65 D8 9C E4
"There are times when verbal ingenuity is not enough." --Dr. B. Banzai

PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

Post by Don Gr » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

On Sat, 12 Apr 1997 09:07:13 -0700, Don Gray

>I've been experimenting setting up PLIP on two Linux boxes (following
>the PLIP mini How-To.  I've been succesful to a point.  Both machines
>have PLIP running (as reported by ifconfig) and route -n on each machine
>shows the IP of the other machine.  I can also ping each machine
>successfully. I can telnet from #2 to #1 but CANNOT telnet in the other
>direction (I think it times out - 'Connection Reset By Foreign Host').
>I'm using the same cable I use for Win95 Direct Cable Connection.

>Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?  I'm using kernel
>2.0.29 on both boxes.  Thanks!

>Don Gray
>(Remove NO-SPAM from email address)

I appreciate the responses I've gotten.  I've tried adding the gateway
and made sure inetd was running on both machines.  I can ping in both
directions and run telnet/finger/ftp from machine 'two' to machine
'one', but just keep getting timeouts going in the other direction.
IS MY MACHINE POSSESSED!??!  HELP!

Don Gray

(Pls remove 'NO-SPAM' when replying)

PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

Post by James Va » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: I appreciate the responses I've gotten.  I've tried adding the gateway
: and made sure inetd was running on both machines.  I can ping in both
: directions and run telnet/finger/ftp from machine 'two' to machine
: 'one', but just keep getting timeouts going in the other direction.
: IS MY MACHINE POSSESSED!??!  HELP!

Using arp?

How about posting the relevant parts of ifconfig and route -n for us.

-!-

PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

Post by Brian McCaule » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I can also ping each machine
> successfully. I can telnet from #2 to #1 but CANNOT telnet in the other
> direction (I think it times out - 'Connection Reset By Foreign
> Host').

Sounds like a nameserver setup or hosts.allow problem.

PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

Post by Don Gr » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

On 15 Apr 1997 20:16:29 +0100, Brian McCauley

>> I can also ping each machine
>> successfully. I can telnet from #2 to #1 but CANNOT telnet in the other
>> direction (I think it times out - 'Connection Reset By Foreign
>> Host').

>Sounds like a nameserver setup or hosts.allow problem.

That was the problem.  I changed the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files
on machine 'two' and now it works.  Thanks for the help!

Don Gray

(Pls remove 'NO-SPAM' when replying)

1. PLIP PLIP PLIP

Can you help me about PLIP?
I want to know all about PLIP: where can I find these informations on
the Net?

Thanks
Francesco
FRANCESCO DE CARLO - Via Rosselli,78/17 - 70014 Conversano (BA) Italy
Faculty of Computer Science at University of BARI

WEB: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/3619/index.html
PLUTO Linux User Group Member

2. nt to linuz via ftp

3. plip.com (crynwyr) and ncsa telnet and Linux plip

4. V.35 Sync Cards...frame relay?

5. Linux PLIP and Crynwr PLIP?

6. Shell Comparison

7. trumpet winsock crynwr plip & linux plip

8. 1542C & PAS 16

9. linux plip to msdos crynwr plip. HOWTO?

10. PLIP: Linux <--> Dos using pktdrv PLIP.COM

11. plip on linux & plip on dos

12. PLIP: how to assign IRQ when plip is compiled in the kernel?

13. PLIP and PLIP cables