Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Charles Lesli » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00



I have the weird behavior from Netscape.  For some strange reason,
whenever, I'm using Netscape, my Xserver crashes.  I'm using the default
window manager, Gnome, with Redhat 6.2 and have installed the Metro-X
3.4.5 xserver.  My video card is an ATI Rage Fury MAXX.  Has anyone had
this problem?  I've update Netscape to 4.73 and the problem still
persist.  There really isn't anything in the log except "Xserver lost
connection ..."

The windowing system is fine as long as I don't using Netscape.

thx
-charles

 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Leonard Even » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> I have the weird behavior from Netscape.  For some strange reason,
> whenever, I'm using Netscape, my Xserver crashes.  I'm using the default
> window manager, Gnome, with Redhat 6.2 and have installed the Metro-X
> 3.4.5 xserver.  My video card is an ATI Rage Fury MAXX.  Has anyone had
> this problem?  I've update Netscape to 4.73 and the problem still
> persist.  There really isn't anything in the log except "Xserver lost
> connection ..."

> The windowing system is fine as long as I don't using Netscape.

> thx
> -charles

I am running RedHat 6.2 and the same version of netscape without
that problem.   Occasionally, if I use a site with badly written
java code, netscape itself will hang, but I can kill it and restart
it.   The netscape java problem has been around for quite a while
through numberous versions of RH and of netscape.

--


Dept. of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL 60208

 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Chie » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00



>I have the weird behavior from Netscape.  For some strange reason,
>whenever, I'm using Netscape, my Xserver crashes.  I'm using the default
>window manager, Gnome, with Redhat 6.2 and have installed the Metro-X
>3.4.5 xserver.

Hello, not sure if this is related,

I experienced problems with Netscape and RedHat 6.0. I had only 20Mb of
memory, and it was pointed out that 32Mb was a minimum for reliable
service, more if used with Gnome.
I never did get the memory, so I'm not sure if that would have solved
things, but it might be worth considering.

Regards

Martin.

 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Charles Lesli » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Wish that was the case, I have 384 Megs of Ram and about 512 Meg of swap
space running on a PIII 700mhz.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


(Chiefy) wrote regarding Re: Netscape and RedHat 6.2:



> >I have the weird behavior from Netscape.  For some strange reason,
> >whenever, I'm using Netscape, my Xserver crashes.  I'm using the default
> >window manager, Gnome, with Redhat 6.2 and have installed the Metro-X
> >3.4.5 xserver.
> Hello, not sure if this is related,
> I experienced problems with Netscape and RedHat 6.0. I had only 20Mb of
> memory, and it was pointed out that 32Mb was a minimum for reliable
> service, more if used with Gnome.
> I never did get the memory, so I'm not sure if that would have solved
> things, but it might be worth considering.
> Regards
> Martin.

 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Akira Yamanit » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> Wish that was the case, I have 384 Megs of Ram and about 512 Meg of swap
> space running on a PIII 700mhz.

Does this happen only on certain pages that you try to view? Can
you reproduce the problem by viewing the same page?
 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Charles Lesli » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00


At first yes, but now it happens when I have Netscape on the Desktop for
a long period of time.  I'm going to not use Netscape for a few days and
see what happens.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


regarding Re: Netscape and RedHat 6.2:

> > Wish that was the case, I have 384 Megs of Ram and about 512 Meg of swap
> > space running on a PIII 700mhz.
> Does this happen only on certain pages that you try to view? Can
> you reproduce the problem by viewing the same page?

 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Jimi Aleshi » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Yeah same thing happens to me sometimes. Hopefully when the new version6
of Netscape comes out, all this won't happen. Netscape 6 is based on
Netscape Gecko, a new, fully standards-compliant layout engine.
Everything is basically all brand new.

> At first yes, but now it happens when I have Netscape on the Desktop for
> a long period of time.  I'm going to not use Netscape for a few days and
> see what happens.

> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


> regarding Re: Netscape and RedHat 6.2:


> > > Wish that was the case, I have 384 Megs of Ram and about 512 Meg of swap
> > > space running on a PIII 700mhz.

> > Does this happen only on certain pages that you try to view? Can
> > you reproduce the problem by viewing the same page?

 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by Rasput » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00



>Yeah same thing happens to me sometimes. Hopefully when the new version6
>of Netscape comes out, all this won't happen. Netscape 6 is based on
>Netscape Gecko, a new, fully standards-compliant layout engine.
>Everything is basically all brand new.

Is there any reason you're not using Mozilla
(since Netscape 6 preview I got was just a clanky old
build of Mozilla anyway)?

M16 came out a week or so ago, and is very usable
(if a memory-sucking RAM hog).

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

 
 
 

Netscape and RedHat 6.2

Post by ejn88b.. » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Have you tried disabling Java in Netscape -->
Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced , the click off the
Enable Java button.  This worked for me.

Ed

In article



> >Yeah same thing happens to me sometimes.

Hopefully when the new version6
Quote:> >of Netscape comes out, all this won't happen.

Netscape 6 is based on
Quote:> >Netscape Gecko, a new, fully

standards-compliant layout engine.

Quote:> >Everything is basically all brand new.

> Is there any reason you're not using Mozilla
> (since Netscape 6 preview I got was just a
clanky old
> build of Mozilla anyway)?

> M16 came out a week or so ago, and is very
usable
> (if a memory-sucking RAM hog).

> --

> Rasputin.
> Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

1. netscape 4.72 crash on redhat 6.2

Hi,

When I open a new message in the messenger of netscape
communicator 4.72 (this is the standard version of netscape
in redhat 6.2) and open my address-book; click a adress and
then click the "to" button.....   netscape crashes!

Does anyone else have seen this problem?
Any suggestions?

Jan

2. colored screen

3. Can't get netscape-dynmotif to run under RedHat 6.2

4. HDD setup - UDMA or PIO?

5. Plugins for Netscape 6.2 and RedHat 7.2 ??

6. problem with sqwebmail and solaris (BER/ldap)

7. Wheel mouse in netscape redhat 6.2.

8. NOTRAILERS

9. Netscape generates a bus error on RedHat 6.2

10. redhat 6.2, gnome 1.2, Netscape Bus Error

11. RedHat 6.2 and Kernel 6.2 on an SMP machine

12. RedHat 6.2 and 6.2 doesnt get acces to..

13. Netscape 4.7 vs. Netscape 6.2 BASE URL PATH on a apache 1.3.26 server