bogus Red Hat 5.1 package?

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I receive this Red Hat 5.1 2- CD package from Linux System Labs plus $5
shipping.  While upgrading Red Hat 5.0 to 5.1 towards the end of the
process where it asked to create a bootdisk in disk or LILO, neither it
take the choices but "No" to the prompt.  It also didn't install the
dependencies plus when attempted to "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt" it
returned as "fs iso9660 not supported by kernel" plus the the "mod
probe" is also missing.  When verified the kernel, still as 2.0.32...
Is this a bogus Red Hat package from Linux System Labs?  I have
installed the Red Hat 5.0 for may be 30 times without problem but
getting buggy with this Red Hat 5.1 that should be better package than
5.0?  Now I am stuck with this cheap package but to buy the official
package from Red Hat themselves.   Anybody have similar problem of
either the official Red Hat 5.1 from Red Hat or from this Linux System
Labs?

To reply me, remove extra from my domain address.  Thanks for any
reply...

bogus Red Hat 5.1 package?

Post by don't laugh, it's my mom's accou » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I receive this Red Hat 5.1 2- CD package from Linux System Labs plus $5
> shipping.  While upgrading Red Hat 5.0 to 5.1 towards the end of the
> process where it asked to create a bootdisk in disk or LILO, neither it
> take the choices but "No" to the prompt.  It also didn't install the
> dependencies plus when attempted to "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt" it
> returned as "fs iso9660 not supported by kernel" plus the the "mod
> probe" is also missing.  When verified the kernel, still as 2.0.32...
> Is this a bogus Red Hat package from Linux System Labs?  I have
> installed the Red Hat 5.0 for may be 30 times without problem but
> getting buggy with this Red Hat 5.1 that should be better package than
> 5.0?  Now I am stuck with this cheap package but to buy the official
> package from Red Hat themselves.   Anybody have similar problem of
> either the official Red Hat 5.1 from Red Hat or from this Linux System
> Labs?

> To reply me, remove extra from my domain address.  Thanks for any
> reply...

modprobe is in the modutils rpm. It goes into the /sbin directory, which
is only in the PATH for a root login (su gives a "fast" login, you need
to "su -" to get all the environment set right). For now, "insmod
iso9660", and ask somebody smart about how to get the kerneld to work
right. Or, simply compile support directly into the kernel.

Say,

bogus Red Hat 5.1 package?

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > I receive this Red Hat 5.1 2- CD package from Linux System Labs plus $5
> > shipping.  While upgrading Red Hat 5.0 to 5.1 towards the end of the
> > process where it asked to create a bootdisk in disk or LILO, neither it
> > take the choices but "No" to the prompt.  It also didn't install the
> > dependencies plus when attempted to "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt" it
> > returned as "fs iso9660 not supported by kernel" plus the the "mod
> > probe" is also missing.  When verified the kernel, still as 2.0.32...
> > Is this a bogus Red Hat package from Linux System Labs?  I have
> > installed the Red Hat 5.0 for may be 30 times without problem but
> > getting buggy with this Red Hat 5.1 that should be better package than
> > 5.0?  Now I am stuck with this cheap package but to buy the official
> > package from Red Hat themselves.   Anybody have similar problem of
> > either the official Red Hat 5.1 from Red Hat or from this Linux System
> > Labs?

> > To reply me, remove extra from my domain address.  Thanks for any
> > reply...
> modprobe is in the modutils rpm. It goes into the /sbin directory, which
> is only in the PATH for a root login (su gives a "fast" login, you need
> to "su -" to get all the environment set right). For now, "insmod
> iso9660", and ask somebody smart about how to get the kerneld to work
> right. Or, simply compile support directly into the kernel.

Hello?  I am stuck to not being able to do anything because I can't mount
the CD-ROM.   I know how to mess around with the kernel?  Since my system is
not networked, there's nothing much I can do about.  I can't dial out either
because it can't find the modem asking me for IRQ where I already put every
known value.  BTW, I'm back with Red Hat 5.0.

bogus Red Hat 5.1 package?

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> [snip]
> >probe" is also missing.  When verified the kernel, still as 2.0.32...

> Red Hat 5.1 uses kernel version 2.0.34

> >Is this a bogus Red Hat package from Linux System Labs?  I have
> >installed the Red Hat 5.0 for may be 30 times without problem but
> >getting buggy with this Red Hat 5.1 that should be better package than
> >5.0?  Now I am stuck with this cheap package but to buy the official
> >package from Red Hat themselves.   Anybody have similar problem of
> >either the official Red Hat 5.1 from Red Hat or from this Linux System
> >Labs?

> i installed 5.1 w/no problems... there are some packages that need
> upgrading, and the list of errata is a bit longer, but many of the fixes
> are for security (not a real problem with using it as desktop OS?)

> i had the most problems with upgrading the Real Player, but following the
> errata directions, and using Communicator 4.05, everything works...

> i did find that although the bind8 DNS-HOWTO is included, RH5.1 still
> comes with bind4... this was a problem when configuring a local DNS server
> so i could build a dial-in PPP server (and run dxpc for remote X11 client
> execution)...

I know RH 5.1 has 2.0.34 just like my friends'.  BTW, did you get the official RH
5.1 from Red Hat or LSL?  If you get the official, I would expect you to have
minimal problem unless you're just lucker getting a real package?

--
If your e-mail bounced, please remove "extra" from my e-mail address.

bogus Red Hat 5.1 package?

Post by William H. Ba » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I receive this Red Hat 5.1 2- CD package from Linux System Labs plus $5
>shipping.  While upgrading Red Hat 5.0 to 5.1 towards the end of the
>process where it asked to create a bootdisk in disk or LILO, neither it
>take the choices but "No" to the prompt.  It also didn't install the
>dependencies plus when attempted to "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt" it
>returned as "fs iso9660 not supported by kernel" plus the the "mod
>probe" is also missing.  When verified the kernel, still as 2.0.32...

Red Hat 5.1 uses kernel version 2.0.34

Quote:>Is this a bogus Red Hat package from Linux System Labs?  I have
>installed the Red Hat 5.0 for may be 30 times without problem but
>getting buggy with this Red Hat 5.1 that should be better package than
>5.0?  Now I am stuck with this cheap package but to buy the official
>package from Red Hat themselves.   Anybody have similar problem of
>either the official Red Hat 5.1 from Red Hat or from this Linux System
>Labs?

i installed 5.1 w/no problems... there are some packages that need
upgrading, and the list of errata is a bit longer, but many of the fixes
are for security (not a real problem with using it as desktop OS?)

i had the most problems with upgrading the Real Player, but following the
errata directions, and using Communicator 4.05, everything works...

i did find that although the bind8 DNS-HOWTO is included, RH5.1 still
comes with bind4... this was a problem when configuring a local DNS server
so i could build a dial-in PPP server (and run dxpc for remote X11 client
execution)...

Quote:

>To reply me, remove extra from my domain address.  Thanks for any
>reply...

bogus Red Hat 5.1 package?

Post by William H. Ba » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> i installed 5.1 w/no problems... there are some packages that need
>> upgrading, and the list of errata is a bit longer, but many of the fixes
>> are for security (not a real problem with using it as desktop OS?)

>I know RH 5.1 has 2.0.34 just like my friends'.  BTW, did you get the official RH
>5.1 from Red Hat or LSL?  If you get the official, I would expect you to have
>minimal problem unless you're just lucker getting a real package?

oops... sorry... yes, i got the "official" package, not just the free
portions...
Quote:

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >> i installed 5.1 w/no problems... there are some packages that need
> >> upgrading, and the list of errata is a bit longer, but many of the fixes
> >> are for security (not a real problem with using it as desktop OS?)

> >I know RH 5.1 has 2.0.34 just like my friends'.  BTW, did you get the official RH
> >5.1 from Red Hat or LSL?  If you get the official, I would expect you to have
> >minimal problem unless you're just lucker getting a real package?

> oops... sorry... yes, i got the "official" package, not just the free
> portions...

I just got word from LSL.Com information,
http://x7.dejanews.com/=yahoo/getdoc.xp?AN=388840421&CONTEXT=90526701...
but I'll post again their reply.

bogus Red Hat 5.1 package?

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >> i installed 5.1 w/no problems... there are some packages that need
> >> upgrading, and the list of errata is a bit longer, but many of the fixes
> >> are for security (not a real problem with using it as desktop OS?)

> >I know RH 5.1 has 2.0.34 just like my friends'.  BTW, did you get the official RH
> >5.1 from Red Hat or LSL?  If you get the official, I would expect you to have
> >minimal problem unless you're just lucker getting a real package?

> oops... sorry... yes, i got the "official" package, not just the free
> portions...

I just got word from LSL.Com information,
http://x7.dejanews.com/=yahoo/getdoc.xp?AN=388840421&CONTEXT=90526701...
but I'll post again their reply.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Mail routing

3. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

4. upgrading redhat 6.2 to kernel 2.4.3?

5. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

6. how 2 clear utmp file?

7. Red Hot Red Hat 5.1 Bundles

8. Wanted: perl programmers to write custom Web applications

9. Intel V2740 AGP and Red Hat linux 5.1 ???

10. SCSI not found in install - Adaptec 1522B PnP + Red Hat 5.1

11. Burning a Red Hat 5.1 CD under Windoze

12. Intalling Red Hat 5.1 with IWill Inition SCSI board

13. Problems with Red Hat 5.1 and AMDK6