DiLinux...

Post by WOL Tech Suppor » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm not sure I want to install Linux yet. I want to put it on a computer of
its own. So until then I decided to install Mini-linux. Its pretty cool
because its really simple. It runs on top of dos and its just like linux.
The problem is it does not come with a compiler. My friend told me he was
able to get a compiler working with DiLinux, the same thing as Mini-Linux
but a newer version. I found DiLinux on the Sunsite ftp site but when it
goes to extract it says the last file is corrupt. Read the .lsm file it
says the last disk should be 800K but it is a little over 1 meg. Has anyone
gotten DiLinux installed? And where did you download it from? Thanks..

DiLinux...

Post by Kent Robott » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm not sure I want to install Linux yet. I want to put it on a computer of
> its own. So until then I decided to install Mini-linux. Its pretty cool
> because its really simple. It runs on top of dos and its just like linux.
> The problem is it does not come with a compiler. My friend told me he was
> able to get a compiler working with DiLinux, the same thing as Mini-Linux
> but a newer version. I found DiLinux on the Sunsite ftp site but when it
> goes to extract it says the last file is corrupt. Read the .lsm file it
> says the last disk should be 800K but it is a little over 1 meg. Has anyone
> gotten DiLinux installed? And where did you download it from? Thanks..

It's called doslinux now, the part 7 in distributions/dilinux is not
correct, you need to get diLinux7.tgz from the 'Incoming' directory
to complete dilinux1-7.tgz from distributions/dilinux.

The most recent version of doslinux is version 2 in the Incoming
directory.

Ther's a note with diLinux7.tgz and a WARNING.DILINUX.WARNING in
the 'Incoming' directory.

ftp.sunsite.unc.edu
/pub/Linux/Incoming
doslnx1-7.tgz + doslnx.exe

Future home...
/pub/Linux/distributions/doslinux

DiLinux...

Post by Peter Broadhe » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>It's called doslinux now, the part 7 in distributions/dilinux is not
>correct, you need to get diLinux7.tgz from the 'Incoming' directory
>to complete dilinux1-7.tgz from distributions/dilinux.

>The most recent version of doslinux is version 2 in the Incoming
>directory.

>Ther's a note with diLinux7.tgz and a WARNING.DILINUX.WARNING in
>the 'Incoming' directory.

>        ftp.sunsite.unc.edu
>        /pub/Linux/Incoming
>        doslnx1-7.tgz + doslnx.exe

>Future home...
>        /pub/Linux/distributions/doslinux

I got the new diLinux7.tgz, but it also apparently is corrupt.:-(

I am sure it is the correct replacement file - it is the correct size
this time (375923), and is in /incoming right next (19:58 25/12/96) to
Robotti's message to the maintainer (19:59 25/12/96).  But for me it
didn't work (copy of untgz.log below).

Does this mean I've got to download anoth 9 megs of doslnx1-7.tgz from
scratch?  If so, before I do, can anyone vouch that it's ok (ie that
the files unpack and install ok)?

PB

<begin untgz.log>

 Creating directory: linux/boot OK
 Directories created, extracting linux/boot/--linux-.--- OK
 Extracting linux/boot/loadlin.exe OK
 Extracting linux/boot/kernel_r.{_2 OK
 Extracting linux/boot/system_m.{_3 OK
 Extracting linux/boot/zimage OK
 Extracting linux/temp/--linux-.--- - missing directory!
 Auto-creating directories for linux/temp/--linux-.---
 Creating directory: linux
untgz386: warning - duplicate directory name
OK
 Creating directory: linux/temp OK
 Directories created, extracting linux/temp/--linux-.--- OK
 Extracting linux/temp/temp_rea.{__ OK

untgz386: warning - broken file(s), crc32 error!

<end untgz.log>