Mystery chip...AMD

Post by 0000-Admin(00 » Wed, 19 Oct 1994 23:00:20

: Having an AMD486DX2-66, I made some tests. By overclocking it at 40
: (=80) MHz and slowing the bus accesses accordingly, I was able to
: run DOS and (more important) Linux for more than a day.
: The heatsink was quite cool.
I didn't touch the heatsink, but left my tower case open to give it
some fresh air (don't want to burn it the first week ;-))

: Why only for one day? Because when I tried to run Windows my applications
: crashed (general protection faults). And until someone will port serious
: music apps under Linux I need WinDog (sigh!), so I played for a while with
: BIOS hardware settings, and eventually I switched back to 66MHz.
My (local) bus accesses were increased up to 40 Mhz (no isa boards ;-(
and windoze worked like a charm (a friend of mine did some overclocking
too, but his video didn't work (I -> Spea Mirage, he ->Diamond Stealth 32))

: I wonder why this happens: maybe because Windows uses a broader
: instruction set than gcc? Undocumented instructions? Continuous
: real/protected mode switches? Bad programming practices?
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                That's for sure ;-)
: Do you think that getting a better motherboard and/or faster memory
: will help?

: My AMD CPU is quite new, so it's probably no more able to run at
: 80 MHz.
Why change a good design? Besides, mine does work.
: Alberto

: ===========================================================================
:       Alberto Vignani

: ===========================================================================

--

|                     www : http://www.cs.vu.nl/~djgroten/index.html

Mystery chip...AMD

Post by Alberto Vignan » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 22:39:25

[...]

Alberto

        Alberto Vignani

1. Mystery Chip...AMD

While responding to an add inteh local paper for a $99 486 upgrade it came
to light that this upgrade was a quote "486/66 Mhz" which was a "faster chip and less expensive than the i486DX2-66". This propted my query on what the hell
this chip was and the response was AMD. I was not aware of this chip. I was
under the impression that all the 66's 75's 100's etc (non-Pentium) were
overclocked 33 Mhz chips. Does a 'real' 66 Mhz chip exist? If so (and I dont'
think so" do traditional mother boards ( ie that could handle a DX2) support
this chip. And Finally, if this is true is it compatble and reliable.

INquiring minds want to know!! ;-))
Thanks...Colin
--
Colin P. Ryan
Ceramic Engineer and Computer Hobbyist           LINUX

2. A mess of an ethernet problem

3. Multilink PPP Problem

4. Chips & Tech 65550 driver mystery

5. Caldera suit against Microsoft

6. Kernel problems with AMD chips?

7. profiled kernel won't boot

8. Zeos - AMD onboard SCSI II chip -- supported???

9. AMD Chips w/ Linux

10. Gravis cards with new AMD chip

11. Zeos/AMD-SCSI chip support?

12. Running linux on an AMD chip.