Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Post by Loren C » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

i have decided that i need to put up a dedicated Dos/Windoze
workstation (so i will not have to take down my linux box).

it would be nice to switch to this box, using one of the newer
switch boxes i see that have ports for VGA, keyboard and mouse.

is this practical?  Safe for the equipment?

i know that i would have to boot with everything connected, not a problem.
but when i switch back, hours or days later, will the monitor have
problems by the momentary glitch?  again, i am assuming that i will have
to run identical frequencies on both systems (or have a modeline set up
in a batch file that can be blindly invoked).

is anyone doing this?  is this just a bad idea, for technical reasons?
i will be using a 17" multi-sync NEC to start,  followed by a 20" fixed
freq. Intergraph.  i am willing to take a _small_ risk, wrt the
hardware, i just don't want to be attempting something really stupid,
that will eventually bite me.

all advice, and what the hey, blind speculation, is welcome.

thanks,

loren

Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Post by John Tisc » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Our servers here at work (3) all run from the same keyboard, mouse, monitor
using a 4 port switcher, and it has worked fine for years.. Of course the
port switcher runs
about $300 .. Supports both PS/2 and Serial .. Any mix can be used...

- John

Post by Loren Co » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Our servers here at work (3) all run from the same keyboard, mouse, monitor
>using a 4 port switcher, and it has worked fine for years.. Of course the
>port switcher runs
>about $300 .. Supports both PS/2 and Serial .. Any mix can be used...
> >- John

i am guessing that your solution provides some active logic to circumvent
possible problem (like losing the mouse).

that is not economical for me at home, with just two stations.  still,
can you give me the name/source, or more description?

thanks,

loren

>>i have decided that i need to put up a dedicated Dos/Windoze
>>workstation (so i will not have to take down my linux box).

>>it would be nice to switch to this box, using one of the newer
>>switch boxes i see that have ports for VGA, keyboard and mouse.

>>is this practical?  Safe for the equipment?

>>i know that i would have to boot with everything connected, not a problem.
>>but when i switch back, hours or days later, will the monitor have
>>problems by the momentary glitch?  again, i am assuming that i will have
>>to run identical frequencies on both systems (or have a modeline set up
>>in a batch file that can be blindly invoked).

>>is anyone doing this?  is this just a bad idea, for technical reasons?
>>i will be using a 17" multi-sync NEC to start,  followed by a 20" fixed
>>freq. Intergraph.  i am willing to take a _small_ risk, wrt the
>>hardware, i just don't want to be attempting something really stupid,
>>that will eventually bite me.

>>all advice, and what the hey, blind speculation, is welcome.

>>thanks,

>>loren

Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Post by Carnife » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

i use a Linksys 2 system switch for monitor,keyboard and mouse.
it worked right out of the box (you need to buy 2 cable sets) and
i have never had a single problem with it. i run linux, win95, nt
and dos. 1 dual 133 hp scsi everything, and one 266 pii rocket
with 96 megs, 20+ gigs between the two of them plus jaz, scanners
laserjets cdroms sound cards etc etc.

<lcoe said>
i have decided that i need to put up a dedicated Dos/Windoze
workstation (so i will not have to take down my linux box).

it would be nice to switch to this box, using one of the newer
switch boxes i see that have ports for VGA, keyboard and mouse.

is this practical?  Safe for the equipment?

i know that i would have to boot with everything connected, not a
problem.
but when i switch back, hours or days later, will the monitor
have
problems by the momentary glitch?  again, i am assuming that i
will have
to run identical frequencies on both systems (or have a modeline
set up
in a batch file that can be blindly invoked).

Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Post by Jerry G » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

If you use a streight mechanical switch box, you must shut down all
equipment when switching.  The logic connection changes most likely
will blow components!

--

 =====================================

               If It Works, Don't Fix It !
              If It Don't Move,  Slap It !
            If It Don't Make Noise, Shake It !
              If It's Broke, Then Fix It ... !
   If You Don't Know How To Fix It, Give It Out !

         WebSite   http://www.total.net/~jerryg

May The Big Blue Screen Of Death Bestow All Spammers!

============= Message Seperator ================

|i have decided that i need to put up a dedicated Dos/Windoze
|workstation (so i will not have to take down my linux box).
|
|it would be nice to switch to this box, using one of the newer
|switch boxes i see that have ports for VGA, keyboard and mouse.
|
|is this practical?  Safe for the equipment?
|
|i know that i would have to boot with everything connected, not a
problem.
|but when i switch back, hours or days later, will the monitor have
|problems by the momentary glitch?  again, i am assuming that i will
have
|to run identical frequencies on both systems (or have a modeline set
up
|in a batch file that can be blindly invoked).
|
|is anyone doing this?  is this just a bad idea, for technical
reasons?
|i will be using a 17" multi-sync NEC to start,  followed by a 20"
fixed
|freq. Intergraph.  i am willing to take a _small_ risk, wrt the
|hardware, i just don't want to be attempting something really stupid,
|that will eventually bite me.
|
|all advice, and what the hey, blind speculation, is welcome.
|
|thanks,
|

|loren

Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Post by Jerry G » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Why don't you try networking the two stations...?

--

 =====================================

               If It Works, Don't Fix It !
              If It Don't Move,  Slap It !
            If It Don't Make Noise, Shake It !
              If It's Broke, Then Fix It ... !
   If You Don't Know How To Fix It, Give It Out !

         WebSite   http://www.total.net/~jerryg

May The Big Blue Screen Of Death Bestow All Spammers!

============= Message Seperator ================

|i have decided that i need to put up a dedicated Dos/Windoze
|workstation (so i will not have to take down my linux box).
|
|it would be nice to switch to this box, using one of the newer
|switch boxes i see that have ports for VGA, keyboard and mouse.
|
|is this practical?  Safe for the equipment?
|
|i know that i would have to boot with everything connected, not a
problem.
|but when i switch back, hours or days later, will the monitor have
|problems by the momentary glitch?  again, i am assuming that i will
have
|to run identical frequencies on both systems (or have a modeline set
up
|in a batch file that can be blindly invoked).
|
|is anyone doing this?  is this just a bad idea, for technical
reasons?
|i will be using a 17" multi-sync NEC to start,  followed by a 20"
fixed
|freq. Intergraph.  i am willing to take a _small_ risk, wrt the
|hardware, i just don't want to be attempting something really stupid,
|that will eventually bite me.
|
|all advice, and what the hey, blind speculation, is welcome.
|
|thanks,
|

|loren

Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Post by John Forko » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

<snip>
: it would be nice to switch to this box, using one of the newer
: switch boxes i see that have ports for VGA, keyboard and mouse.
: is this practical?  Safe for the equipment?
<snip>
: thanks,
: loren

I'm using a cheap VGA/keyboard/mouse switchbox, but am keeping
_individual_ keyboards/mice on each machine, and only switching
the monitor.  Works fine.
   To avoid the "momentary [monitor] glitches" you mentioned
(which I <snipped>), I turn off the monitor before switching
and turn it back on afterwards.  Otherwise, I did run in to
sporadic problems.  As long are you're only switching back and
forth occasionally, this seems like the best procedure to me.
   The above seems like the right solution for _cheap_ switch
boxes (mine cost only about $15), which is all that's needed
for occasional switching.

Post by Loren Co » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Why don't you try networking the two stations...?

indeed! why not?  sometime after 2020, this may not be an issue.  my
problem is trying to occaisionally use a Dos or Windoze application,
often requiring a gui.

the linux host s/b setup to do all the primary network stuff (a multiple
host, home installation), with masquerading and all, but that is in the
future (this takes _time_, and experience to accomplish).  for now, for
me, the simple solution is two phone lines/ two hosts.  i just want to
relieve some of the "real estate" burdon.

also, the linux "Dos" solutions are still not something i am fluent
with.  when i get an Excel 6.0 (now 7.0???) spreadsheet, and my boss
says "i put this in "/common", take a look at it", i have to go to my
office, sometimes this is a major bummer....  this happens rarely
enough that i do not feel justified in requisitioning an nt workstation
(now i would have a real estate problem in the _office_ ;-).

thanks to the folks that have responded.  i now have the courage to at
least try this.

loren

orig post:

>|i have decided that i need to put up a dedicated Dos/Windoze
>|workstation (so i will not have to take down my linux box).
>|
>|it would be nice to switch to this box, using one of the newer
>|switch boxes i see that have ports for VGA, keyboard and mouse.
>|
>|is this practical?  Safe for the equipment?
>|
>|i know that i would have to boot with everything connected, not a
>problem.
>|but when i switch back, hours or days later, will the monitor have
>|problems by the momentary glitch?  again, i am assuming that i will
>have
>|to run identical frequencies on both systems (or have a modeline set
>up
>|in a batch file that can be blindly invoked).
>|
>|is anyone doing this?  is this just a bad idea, for technical
>reasons?
>|i will be using a 17" multi-sync NEC to start,  followed by a 20"
>fixed
>|freq. Intergraph.  i am willing to take a _small_ risk, wrt the
>|hardware, i just don't want to be attempting something really stupid,
>|that will eventually bite me.
>|
>|all advice, and what the hey, blind speculation, is welcome.
>|
>|thanks,
>|

>|loren

Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)

Post by Staffan Hamal » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm using a cheap VGA/keyboard/mouse switchbox, but am keeping
> _individual_ keyboards/mice on each machine, and only switching
> the monitor.  Works fine.

I'm doing the same thing, but I would prefer using one keyboard
because it gets very annoying sometimes to type things on the
wrong keyboard all the time.. =) Mouses aren't that big problems.

Quote:> and turn it back on afterwards.  Otherwise, I did run in to
> sporadic problems.  As long are you're only switching back and
> forth occasionally, this seems like the best procedure to me.

I never turn the monitor of while switching. It has worked very
good for over a year now.

One thing to note though, when buying cables, don't buy the
cheapest ones (as I did first.. =( ), get good, high quality
ones at once, and you won't end up buying multiple sets of
cabling. The cables I bought first made the picture "shaded",
and that was very annoying. Like the picture on a television
set gets sometimes, when you see multiple copies of the
persons on screen.. =)

Post by Arthur Corli » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>Why don't you try networking the two stations...?

>indeed! why not?  sometime after 2020, this may not be an issue.  my
>problem is trying to occaisionally use a Dos or Windoze application,
>often requiring a gui.

>the linux host s/b setup to do all the primary network stuff (a multiple
>host, home installation), with masquerading and all, but that is in the
>future (this takes _time_, and experience to accomplish).  for now, for
>me, the simple solution is two phone lines/ two hosts.  i just want to
>relieve some of the "real estate" burdon.

>also, the linux "Dos" solutions are still not something i am fluent
>with.  when i get an Excel 6.0 (now 7.0???) spreadsheet, and my boss
>says "i put this in "/common", take a look at it", i have to go to my
>office, sometimes this is a major bummer....  this happens rarely
>enough that i do not feel justified in requisitioning an nt workstation
>(now i would have a real estate problem in the _office_ ;-).

>thanks to the folks that have responded.  i now have the courage to at
>least try this.

>loren

Actually, his suggestion is quite valid.  Using Exceed under Win NT, I get
to play with both the Wintel apps, as well as the Linux apps, and nary a
problem insight (outside of the standard Wintel stability issues ;-).  Remote
X, learn it, use it, love it. . .

        --Arthur Corliss
          "Live Free or Die--the Only Way to Live" (NH State Motto)

Post by Ken Farwel » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> : If you use a streight mechanical switch box, you must shut down all
> : equipment when switching.  The logic connection changes most likely
> : will blow components!
> :
> That must be why my CTX blew up.  No. No, that was why I bought the
> kvm switch, it left me with one monitor and $20 for the 4way switch
> was much cheaper than another monitor.

> I have been using the switch for about a year between my windows (ugh)
> box and my Linux box.  No problems.  If you have a multi-sync monitor
> you don't have to worry.  That fixed freq jobby the original poster
> mentioned might be a problem.

> One thing about these cheap manual switchs, you need gender changers
> or special cables for the computer side.  You can get them at most
> computer fairs.  I ordered my switch from www.computergate.com.  They
> didn't mention the need for the special cables.  Stupid, they do sell
> them.

> --
> Graywolf (Tom Rittenhouse)
> Linux is not a viable alternative for Windows 3.1/95/98, it is a
> superior alternative to Windows NT.

  We use the Apex 4 and 8 port OutLook switchs here connected to fixed
freq monitors(NCD 21") with Intel Linux, Intel NT, Sparc Solaris, Sparc
Linux, Alpha Linux. The first thing that we see on boot is the Logon
Screen.

Ken