mt forward wont work

Post by David Johnso » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi, am using a DLT 20/40 for backup and restore, but 'mt forward' won't
forward to the next archive. What am I doin wrong? using RH5.2

mt forward wont work

Post by Rob Kom » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

: Hi, am using a DLT 20/40 for backup and restore, but 'mt forward' won't
: forward to the next archive. What am I doin wrong? using RH5.2
:
Hi,
if there isn't a link from /dev/tape to the actual tape device,
then you have to explicitely tell mt which device to use.
The option for skipping files is `fsf'.  So, to skip one file
you would type `mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1' (assuming that you have
the tape on /dev/st0).  Make sure that you specify the non-rewinding
device by putting the letter `n' in front of the device name,
or the tape will immediately rewind after skipping the file.
I also noticed a new version of mt in the RedHat contrib area and
a new version of dump in the update area; you should update your
box with them.

Cheers,
Rob Komar