New Install on New HD with an Old HD Copy question

New Install on New HD with an Old HD Copy question

Post by XanthVip » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:10:14

I am relatively new to using Linux and had a question about copy files
from one HD to another.

Had a Redhat 7.1 install that was working fine until I got hit with
the Linux.Slapper.Worm.  So I decided to just buy a new harddrive and
install Redhat 8.0 on it.  Now, since I was doing some webhosting on
this system, I need to pull over the files from my old HD's
/home/httpd/html dir and put it on the new HD.  Problem is, during
bootup, it always installs the old HD even though it's been put second
on the IDE chain and is SLAVE to the new HD.  Anyone have a suggestion
to make the old HD available from the new HD Redhat install so I can
just copy those files over?

If I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Davi » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:24:39

> I am relatively new to using Linux and had a question about copy files
> from one HD to another.

> Had a Redhat 7.1 install that was working fine until I got hit with
> the Linux.Slapper.Worm.  So I decided to just buy a new harddrive and
> install Redhat 8.0 on it.  Now, since I was doing some webhosting on
> this system, I need to pull over the files from my old HD's
> /home/httpd/html dir and put it on the new HD.  Problem is, during
> bootup, it always installs the old HD even though it's been put second
> on the IDE chain and is SLAVE to the new HD.  Anyone have a suggestion
> to make the old HD available from the new HD Redhat install so I can
> just copy those files over?

First check that the jumpers are set right on both disks.

Then you should be able to boot the system and mount the second drive.

mount -t fstype  /dev/hdbX  /mnt/olddisk

fstype is filesystem type used on the old drive.
/mnt/olddisk can be any directory name you choose for a mount point.

If "kudzu" is running at boot time you may need to disable it using
"ntsysv" and removing the asterisk next to "kudzu".

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

Post by XanthVip » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 02:01:01

> > I am relatively new to using Linux and had a question about copy files
> > from one HD to another.

> > Had a Redhat 7.1 install that was working fine until I got hit with
> > the Linux.Slapper.Worm.  So I decided to just buy a new harddrive and
> > install Redhat 8.0 on it.  Now, since I was doing some webhosting on
> > this system, I need to pull over the files from my old HD's
> > /home/httpd/html dir and put it on the new HD.  Problem is, during
> > bootup, it always installs the old HD even though it's been put second
> > on the IDE chain and is SLAVE to the new HD.  Anyone have a suggestion
> > to make the old HD available from the new HD Redhat install so I can
> > just copy those files over?

> First check that the jumpers are set right on both disks.

> Then you should be able to boot the system and mount the second drive.

> mount -t fstype  /dev/hdbX  /mnt/olddisk

> fstype is filesystem type used on the old drive.
> /mnt/olddisk can be any directory name you choose for a mount point.

> If "kudzu" is running at boot time you may need to disable it using
> "ntsysv" and removing the asterisk next to "kudzu".

Thank you very much.  I will try this out this evening.

Post by XanthVip » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:30:14

> > > I am relatively new to using Linux and had a question about copy files
> > > from one HD to another.

> > > Had a Redhat 7.1 install that was working fine until I got hit with
> > > the Linux.Slapper.Worm.  So I decided to just buy a new harddrive and
> > > install Redhat 8.0 on it.  Now, since I was doing some webhosting on
> > > this system, I need to pull over the files from my old HD's
> > > /home/httpd/html dir and put it on the new HD.  Problem is, during
> > > bootup, it always installs the old HD even though it's been put second
> > > on the IDE chain and is SLAVE to the new HD.  Anyone have a suggestion
> > > to make the old HD available from the new HD Redhat install so I can
> > > just copy those files over?

> > First check that the jumpers are set right on both disks.

> > Then you should be able to boot the system and mount the second drive.

> > mount -t fstype  /dev/hdbX  /mnt/olddisk

> > fstype is filesystem type used on the old drive.
> > /mnt/olddisk can be any directory name you choose for a mount point.

> > If "kudzu" is running at boot time you may need to disable it using
> > "ntsysv" and removing the asterisk next to "kudzu".

> Thank you very much.  I will try this out this evening.Well unfortunately that didn't work.  I guess this is where I go deeper into idiot mode.  Here are the errors I get when I boot up and into the "INTERACTIVE" mode which I have yet to let me be interactive with by pushing I:

FAILED: Remounting file system in read-write mode : LABEL=/ duplicated
- not mounted

various others that OK

Starting System Logger:

and that is what i get left with

I did try booting into REDHAT 8.0 and disabling kudzu with chkconfig
and I still get this error.  Perhaps I missed something?  And just to
clarify, I did make sure that my REDHAT 8.0 HD was the Primary master
and the REDHAT 7.1 HD was the Primary Slave which shows up both in the
BIOS as well as the startup text that comes up.

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

Post by mjt » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 03:41:07

> If I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies

... you did multi-post, which is frowned upon. check for responses
in the other newsgroups ...

--
-------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  |    Black holes result

Post by XanthVip » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 04:46:23

> > If I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies

> ... you did multi-post, which is frowned upon. check for responses
> in the other newsgroups ...

Apologies for that. didn't mean to.  Pushed teh POST button and it
stalled and I assumed it was going through..and well...my bad.

I was able to get access to the disk by doing mount  /dev/hdb5 /mnt
which will give me access to the files I need on the old HD.  However,
trying to copy them over to the new HD won't work because I can only
do all of this while I main  single mode.  I have tried remounting
with rw permission but I get a message saying LABel=/ duplicated.
mount failed (to that degree of message)   Any suggestions on how to
by pass this?  As always i appreciate your help.

Post by mjt » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 04:49:46

> I was able to get access to the disk by doing mount  /dev/hdb5 /mnt
> which will give me access to the files I need on the old HD.  However,
> trying to copy them over to the new HD won't work because I can only
> do all of this while I main  single mode.  I have tried remounting
> with rw permission but I get a message saying LABel=/ duplicated.
> mount failed (to that degree of message)   Any suggestions on how to
> by pass this?  As always i appreciate your help.

... i'm not sure how 'deep' you are into completing this task, but
you might want to check this out: http://www.partimage.org/

--
-------------------------------------------+---------------------------

Post by John Sandel » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:14:39

>>>If I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies

>>... you did multi-post, which is frowned upon. check for responses
>>in the other newsgroups ...

> Apologies for that. didn't mean to.  Pushed teh POST button and it
> stalled and I assumed it was going through..and well...my bad.

> I was able to get access to the disk by doing mount  /dev/hdb5 /mnt
> which will give me access to the files I need on the old HD.  However,
> trying to copy them over to the new HD won't work because I can only
> do all of this while I main  single mode.  I have tried remounting
> with rw permission but I get a message saying LABel=/ duplicated.
> mount failed (to that degree of message)   Any suggestions on how to
> by pass this?  As always i appreciate your help.

Take a look at fstab in the /etc/directory. I encountered this problem
once and cured it by changing the left-hand column items from LABEL=xxx
to thead the fstab man page first.

John Sandell

Post by Paul Woodwar » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 01:05:42

>>>... you did multi-post, which is frowned upon. check for responses
>>>in the other newsgroups ...

>> Apologies for that. didn't mean to.  Pushed teh POST button and it
>> stalled and I assumed it was going through..and well...my bad.

>> I was able to get access to the disk by doing mount  /dev/hdb5 /mnt
>> which will give me access to the files I need on the old HD.  However,
>> trying to copy them over to the new HD won't work because I can only
>> do all of this while I main  single mode.  I have tried remounting
>> with rw permission but I get a message saying LABel=/ duplicated.
>> mount failed (to that degree of message)   Any suggestions on how to
>> by pass this?  As always i appreciate your help.

> Take a look at fstab in the /etc/directory. I encountered this problem
> once and cured it by changing the left-hand column items from LABEL=xxx
> to thead the fstab man page first.

> John Sandell

I replaced a hard disk myself recently.  I first tried using norton ghost,
what a waste of time/money.

I booted to single user mode, then issued 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdd'.
This mirrored the entire disk.  If the new disk is bigger, as mine was,
you can use gnu parted to resize the partitions if required.  You can
keep the old disk as a backup while you check the new one.

Seems like a painless method to me.

1. New Install on New HD with an Old HD Copy question

I am relatively new to using Linux and had a question about copy files
from one HD to another.

Had a Redhat 7.1 install that was working fine until I got hit with
the Linux.Slapper.Worm.  So I decided to just buy a new harddrive and
install Redhat 8.0 on it.  Now, since I was doing some webhosting on
this system, I need to pull over the files from my old HD's
/home/httpd/html dir and put it on the new HD.  Problem is, during
bootup, it always installs the old HD even though it's been put second
on the IDE chain and is SLAVE to the new HD.  Anyone have a suggestion
to make the old HD available from the new HD Redhat install so I can
just copy those files over?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Q: Mac to Xenix system connectivity - possible?

3. New/fast HD with old/slow HD

4. chat server for linux

5. PROBLEM: LILO & Transfer of Linux System from old HD to new HD.

6. Ensoniq AudioPCI Ct4810 woes

7. HOW TO COPY AN OLD HD TO A NEW

8. svgalib and ET4000

9. How to copy old HD to new?

10. Problems with an IDE HD and new SCSI HD

11. Setting up 2 new SCSI HD in a system with an IDE HD

12. How to replace dying HD with new HD?

13. New/fast IDE HD with older HD