Where's the setting of refresh rate ?

Post by ThanhVu Nguye » Sat, 12 May 2001 11:45:37

I look in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 but doesn't see any mention about the
current refresh rate ... where is it set at ?

thanks

Where's the setting of refresh rate ?

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 12 May 2001 13:35:43

On Thu, 10 May 2001 22:45:37 -0400, ThanhVu Nguyen staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:>I look in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 but doesn't see any mention about
>the current refresh rate ... where is it set at ?

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "Multisync 95"
   HorizSync 31.5 - 95.0
   VertRefresh 55 - 160
EndSection

This little piece of the XF86Config tells X what your monitor is capable
of.  The refresh rate is determined from these values and set to the
highest refresh rate the monitor is capable of doing at the current
monitor resolution.  With these numbers, I get 75Hz at 1280x1024, and...
hmm, roughly 120Hz at 640x480.

If the refresh rate on your screen is too low for your liking, run
whatever your distro uses as an X configuration tool and make sure you
enter the right designation for your monitor.  There are a *LOT* of
monitors in the monitor databases of newer distros like RedHat 7.1; that
one autodetected that I had a MultiSync95 and filled in all the correct
numbers.  If you're not so lucky, look up the Hsync and Vsync ranges in
your monitor's manual and enter those manually during the X
configuration process.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Post by <sharithe.. » Wed, 16 May 2001 04:30:03

> I look in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 but doesn't see any mention about the
> current refresh rate ... where is it set at ?

> thanks

In the graphical user interface, login as 'root' , press CTRL+ALT+F1
(ctrl+alt+backspace if that doesn't work) , then type 'Xconfig' (Case
sensitive) and follow the on-screen instructions and choose your settings.
Once finished, reboot and you should be OK!

1. Refresh rate settings don't stick

I'm running Linux Mandrake v8.0.  I've had this exact same problem on
2 completely different systems (both custom-built; one's a Tyan MB
with pIII 850, ATi Rage 128 AGP 32mb video card; the other's a Pentium
233mmx in a PCchips board with onboard 4mb SiS video).

The problem is that whenever I change the refresh rate, the settings
don't stick.  My monitor is a KDS VS-195e, and the OSD tells you the
current resolution and horiz & vert rates.  In Windows on both of
these machines, at 1024x768, the horiz=48.4kHz and vert=60Hz.  And the
picture is fine.  In Linux, however, at 1024x768, the horiz=68.7kHz
and vert=85Hz... and the picture flickers terribly.  So I edit the
/etc/X11/XF6Config file, set specific values for HorizSync to 48.4 and
VertRefresh to 60, and reboot.  But when I reboot, the changes don't
take effect.  So I tried setting them to ranges instead of specific
values... I set HorizSync to 45-55 and VertRefresh to 55-65.  Reboot,
still, changes don't take effect.

Any ideas?  The main problem is the flicker, which I assume is because
of the improper refresh rates.  The secondary problem is that the
changes I make to XF86Config don't stick.

Thanks,
Anthony
http://NoDivisions.com

2. Mandrake PPP question...

3. What's the best way to set refresh rate of video?

4. LinuxLand-Online Linux Support

5. Explicitly set X refresh rate?

6. Linux 2.4.9 smp kernel panic in swap

7. Setting Monitor Refresh Rate

8. Programming Ques. - Fork and Wait

9. Setting video refresh rate, kdmconfig not working

10. refresh rate settings

11. GXT1000 refresh-rate setting ?

12. Manually setting the monitor refresh rate.

13. * HELP *HOW CAN I SET **NOT** DEFAULT RESOLUTION AND REFRESH RATE