Internet Sharing

Post by tvn198 » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 17:51:16

With many strugglings, I finally got nfs working - I had to uninstall
ipchains because it somehow block the nfs from working.  I don't know how
to configure ipchains yet - it seems too complicated and I don't need
that much.

My next question is how to share internet connection((dial up) btw my 2 computers ?
 both running linux.  I read the howto doc but it requires DHCP and IP
Masquerading --- I don't think I have those.  Is there any easier way  ?

Thanks

Internet Sharing

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 22:35:09

On Sat, 07 Jul 2001 04:51:16 -0400, tvn1981 staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:>With many strugglings, I finally got nfs working - I had to uninstall
>ipchains because it somehow block the nfs from working.  I don't know
>how to configure ipchains yet - it seems too complicated and I don't
>need that much.

You need to configure ipchains to allow a range of UDP ports for the
Nightmare File System to work correctly.  You should check the
ipchains-HOWTO at http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ .

Quote:>My next question is how to share internet connection((dial up) btw my 2
>computers ?  both running linux.  I read the howto doc but it requires
>DHCP and IP Masquerading --- I don't think I have those.  Is there any
>easier way  ?

DHCP is not required, but IP Masqing *IS*.  This is much simpler than
you're making it out to be--you sure you read the HOWTO and followed the
directions step-by-step?  It's like so, assuming that you have your
machines in the 192.168.x.x private address space:

# this is necessary
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag
# Load the module for masqued FTP
modprobe ip_masq_ftp
# Do the ipchains rulesets
/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -s 192.168.0.0/16 -j MASQ

Put those in your /etc/init.d/boot.local or create an
/etc/init.d/firewall script.  Have the machine that's attached to the
modem run this script.  Other machines on your LAN that need to access
the modem should have their IPs in the 192.168.0.0 range.  This ipchains
set provides *NO* security at all.

Finally, if both machines are trying to do anything bandwidth-intensive
at the same time, the throughput's gonna be horrible.  But you knew
that, right?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Internet Sharing

Post by tvn198 » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 07:03:42

Thanks, I will try it ...

Internet Sharing

Post by Paul Evan » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:52:34

On 7 Jul 2001 13:35:09 GMT

Quote:> # this is necessary
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
works
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag
no such file
> # Load the module for masqued FTP
> modprobe ip_masq_ftp
no such module
> # Do the ipchains rulesets
> /sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60

message: "ipchains: setting MASQ timeouts failed: Protocol not available"

Quote:> /sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -s 192.168.0.0/16 -j MASQ

I want to do this on a custom built kernel (2.4.5), only it doesn't work
(see above).

Any ideas?

--
Paul Evans

(1st Year Maths & CompSci at Pembroke College, Cambridge, England)

ICQ# 4135350

1. Win2K/RH 8 Network Share + Internet Share

Scott Tribble enlightened us with:

Google for 'samba' (file & printer sharing) and 'iptables' (firewall &
connection sharing). Also make sure you visit http://www.tldp.org/

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

2. Add a lover to your life...

3. Help with sharing internet sharing on my win2k box

4. MSDOS command inside Unix

5. Linux internet sharing and VPN network

6. swap files and Win95

7. Internet Sharing

8. External serial modem recommendation needed.

9. Internet Share via Bluetooth

10. Update to the internet share via linux senario (A easy solution):

11. W98 - RH6.1 Internet Sharing

12. Telnet server and Internet sharing.

13. internet sharing, Windows ME - Red Hat Linux