Logging process creation

Post by Frank de Bo » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 06:58:58

Hi,

is it somehow possible to log process creation (Globaly) and information
like total CPU time, max memory usage, etc? I often wonder what kind of
processes are running, by who, etc. (The most what's wondering me is how
much CPU mysql is realy consuming, but that's not the question here ;-))
Thanks in advanced,

Frank de Bot

Logging process creation

Post by dav.. » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:06:10

Quote:> is it somehow possible to log process creation (Globaly) and information
> like total CPU time, max memory usage, etc?

Sure, run any kind of monitoring system like "the big brother" or BCNU.
Keep in mind that if you look too close to the system, your monitor will
be the most time-and-processor consuming process...

Davide

Logging process creation

Post by Stu » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:15:58

Use process accounting.  See this link for more info:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Process-Accounting/

Stu

> Hi,

> is it somehow possible to log process creation (Globaly) and information
> like total CPU time, max memory usage, etc? I often wonder what kind of
> processes are running, by who, etc. (The most what's wondering me is how
> much CPU mysql is realy consuming, but that's not the question here ;-))
> Thanks in advanced,

> Frank de Bot

1. Find exact creation time of a process; not kill a wrong process

(1)
Is there a portable way in Shell, Perl, other tools to find
the exact number of seconds since epoch of a process?

timestamp on /proc/<pid> disqualifies as it is not portable,
Linux /proc/<pid> is always current time.

"current time - elapsed time from ps" disqualifies as
current time and elapsed time from ps are taken at different
times, it may be off by a few seconds.

(2)
How can I kill a process without worrying killing a wrong process?
For example,

some_process & pid=$!
kill $pid

The $pid may be a recycled new process.

I am building an application used on space shuttle, and need
100% reliability. Please help.

Thanks.
--

2. Color problems in x

3. nulling a log process log file

4. S3 Trio64V+

5. log error log to a process?

6. automatic reply databank...

7. Logging user submitted processes to a log file

8. Kernel boot problem

9. Multistream Process Append Process ID To Beginning Of Log

10. Log file creation

11. Apache 1.2.5 and log file creation

12. Process Creation Question

13. automate user creation process