Always Technology SCSI-2 AL-708 multifunction card device drivers

Always Technology SCSI-2 AL-708 multifunction card device drivers

Post by Rohan Tal » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 16:49:32

Hello,

[There are QUESTIONS at the bottom of this article]

I have been thinking of getting an Always Technology AL-7048 (AL-7000
series) VESA Local Bus (VLB) multi-function card.  For those that
don't know, the AL-7048 is a SCSI-2 / bus-mastered IDE (2 drives) /
four floppy controller (2.88MB support) with 2 high speed serial ports
with 16550 UARTs, and an Enhanced Parallel Port.

It seems to be a useful card since it allows for fewer slots to be
taken up!

I believe that there a review on the card by PC Graphics & Video in
August 1994.  At least I have a photocopy of a page that indicates such.
(It was given a fairly good review.)

Some more info from info-sheets:

  Full length card
  32-bit, VL bus master, fast and wide SCSI-2 host adapter.
  The card uses a NCR 53C720 RISC SCSI I/O processor.
  20MB/second [manual says 10MB/second] SCSI data transfer rate.
  9MB/second sustained (?)
  66MB/second burst data transfer rate across the local bus.
  Supports SCSI-2 advanced command set.
  Switchable SCSI active termination (?)
  External 50-pin SCSI-2 connector.
  Internal connector.
  Supports all SCSI hard drives up to 8GB (all?)

  Supports four* [manual says 7] SCSI devices in PC systems and
    servers running DOS, Microsoft Windows(TM) NT, Netware(R) 3.xx,
    4.xx, OS/2 and SCO(R) UNIX.
  Complete [DOS] driver software for CD-ROM, Magneto Optical, WORM
    hard disk, tape, floptical, SyQuest(R) and Bernoulli(R) drives.
  ASPI manager for DOS and Novell.

  Includes NovaBack(R) tape backup software.

They are apparently not on the InterNet but their BBS number is
818-597-0275 (14,400bps, 8n1) which I have had trouble accessing.

I believe their old address used to be

  Always Technology
  31336 Via Colinas, Suite 101
  Westlake Village, CA 91362
  USA

I think that their new address is

  Always Technology
  5142 Clareton Rd, Ste 270
  Agoura Hills, CA 91301
  USA

Their phone number is 818-597-1400 and their fax number is
818-597-1496/0110.

I am actually interested in getting an AL-7048 because I have bought a
SCSI 270MB SyQuest removable hard disk drive and need a SCSI host
adapter to use it!

I have managed to get the SyQuest drive to work with the AL-7048 in DOS
at work, but I want to be able to use both under Linux.

So, can anyone answer these questions:

(I have looked at the SCSI FAQ, and the Linux Hardware Compatibility
HOWTO.)

1. Does anyone else who uses Linux have one?

2. Is there a Linux device driver that will work with it?

3. If not how hard would it be to write one and roughly how long would
   it take?  I know that ALPHA device drivers exist for the AL-500 and
   IN-2000. (A friend and I are thinking of writing a device driver
   for it if none exist already)

4. How much hardware specific information would be needed to write
   a Linux device driver?