PPP Server problem

Post by Donald J. Darli » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I've been trying to set up a PPP server on my machine.  The way it is set
up, the machine that calls in can connect, and then telnet, ftp, or
whatever to my machine, which is what I want.  But I also need to be able
to connect via telnet or rlogin to the caller's machine.  Right now it can
take as long as 5 minutes to establish a connection to the calling
machine.  After the connection is established, it runs smoothly.  It's
just the initial connection that takes forever.  This happens with
anything (finger, rlogin, ftp, etc) Any suggestions?

        Don

PPP Server problem

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I've been trying to set up a PPP server on my machine.  The way it is set
> up, the machine that calls in can connect, and then telnet, ftp, or
> whatever to my machine, which is what I want.  But I also need to be able
> to connect via telnet or rlogin to the caller's machine.  Right now it can
> take as long as 5 minutes to establish a connection to the calling
> machine.  After the connection is established, it runs smoothly.  It's
> just the initial connection that takes forever.  This happens with
> anything (finger, rlogin, ftp, etc) Any suggestions?

You most likely have an error in your name resolution config on the
machines you are connecting to or you are connected from an
unregisterd IP address.  Reverse DNS lookups are timing out.

1. PPP server problem (LCP problem?)

Hello,

I have problems configuring a PPP server with FreeBSD.
I have a ppp client with user space ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.1
and a ppp server with kernel ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.2
Both machines use a Zyxel Omni TA 128 Modem at /dev/cuaa0

The client works ok and can dial in a Win95 server without
problems. To dial in the FreeBSD server causes some problems.
The problems seems to be with LCP or the modem configuration.

Server:
I use the ppp/options file from the BSD handbook, changed with my domain
and addresses and debug added (crtscts, netmask ..., <ownip>:<remoteip>,
domain ..., passive, modem, debug)
I used kermit with the /etc/ppp/kermit.ans script
(with line /dev/ttyd0 and speed 19200)

I got following messages from the server:
pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
using interface ppp0
connect:ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyd0
last message repeated 4 times
hangup (SIGHUP)
Modem hangup
Exit

Client:
I have set device /dev/cuaa0, speed 19200 and openmode active.
The AT commands for the modem are ATE1Q0B40
I got following messages from the client:
*Connected
LCP: state change Initial --> Closed
LCP: sendConfigReq
  ACFCOMP
  PROTOCOMP
  ACCMAP[6] 00000000
  MRU [4] 1500
  MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
LCP: state change Closed --> Req-Sent
LCP: Received Configure Reject (1) state = Req-Sent (6)
LCP: RecvConfigReq
  ACCMAP[6] 00000000
  MRU [4] 1500
  MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
<The last for lines are 4 times repeated>
LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
LCP: Layer Finish
Disconnected!

If I use user space ppp at the server side I got the same
behaviour at the client side but no debug info at the server
side. For a short time the getty V19200 ttyd0 process changes
to login -r ?#{?{ or a similar process and then getty is
started again.
Can anybody tell me what's going wrong or give me any hints,
what I can do?

Many thanks
        Elmar

Elmar Haas, Siemens AG, ZT IK 2, Munich, Germany

2. How to use live cd-rom filesystem?

3. PPP Server problem or modem problem

4. Diamond Stealth 3d

5. PPP server problem

6. RedHat kernel v. 2.2.15 ?!?!?!

7. ppp server problem

8. Problem with routed on a firewall

9. PPP-Server Problem

10. Dial up PPP Server problem

11. PPP server problems.

12. ppp server problem with Redhat 7.2 Kernel 2.4.7-10

13. ppp server problem