difference between Slackware 2.2 and 2.3?

difference between Slackware 2.2 and 2.3?

Post by Ken Neighbo » Mon, 12 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I looked at the Changelog and at the Slackware Pro 2.3 announcement
(see http://www.morse.net/).  I don't see any change except for what
may be due to a later kernel and a list of backup and other products.

What else changed?  I'm wondering what the difference is between
a Slackware 2.2 system with the latest kernel and 2.3.
--
* Linux * OS/2 * Linux * OS/2 * Linux * OS/2 * Linux * OS/2 * Linux * OS

/    Aero/Astro Stanford      http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~wkn/     2
SO * xuniL * 2/SO * xuniL * 2/SO * xuniL * 2/SO * xuniL * 2/SO * xuniL *

Post by Lazaro D. Sale » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I looked at the Changelog and at the Slackware Pro 2.3 announcement
>(see http://www.morse.net/).  I don't see any change except for what
>may be due to a later kernel and a list of backup and other products.

>What else changed?  I'm wondering what the difference is between
>a Slackware 2.2 system with the latest kernel and 2.3.

Ok.. I post the same question to comp.os.linux.help and no answer yet.

So I offer my self to collect a list of the contents of the slackware
distributions. The first thing we need (correct me if I am wrong)
is a copy of the files:

    ../slakware/*/disk*

So I can keep those files on my server (next week I'll be at a meeting)

 http://www.hsr.no/~salem/slak*.tgz

where "*" reflects the distributions whose contents I have.
I have just written a W3 page with more aor less the same info as here.
Want to have look? try then

http://www.hsr.no/~salem/slakdsks.html

BEWARE:
I am going to a meeting next week, and then take my vacations
so don't hold your breath!
Later we could do something with the raw info we collect.

Hope to here from you guys! :-)

--

 School of Science and Technology, HiS | Phone:  +47 51 83 18 79
 P.O.Box 2557 Ullandhaug               | Fax:    +47 51 83 17 50

Post by Ronald Wah » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> >I looked at the Changelog and at the Slackware Pro 2.3 announcement
> >(see http://www.morse.net/).  I don't see any change except for what
> >may be due to a later kernel and a list of backup and other products.

> >What else changed?  I'm wondering what the difference is between
> >a Slackware 2.2 system with the latest kernel and 2.3.

> Ok.. I post the same question to comp.os.linux.help and no answer yet.

You wait for an answer from a newsgroup which doesn't exist anymore.
Here are the current c.o.l groups:

  comp.os.linux.advocacy
  comp.os.linux.announce
  comp.os.linux.answers
  comp.os.linux.development.apps
  comp.os.linux.development.system
  comp.os.linux.hardware
  comp.os.linux.misc
  comp.os.linux.networking
  comp.os.linux.setup
  comp.os.linux.x

 - Ronald.

| >> PGP key available by finger <<  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~row |
| PGP fingerprint: 9D 4A 66 7C A9 9F 6A 5F  90 45 D5 0C DF E5 CB 71 |

1. Font differences between 2.2 and 2.3?

Does anyone know if the Kana font exists for Solaris 2.3 in the same manner
that it exists for Sun OS 4.x and Solaris 2.2?

Under Sun OS 4.x, we were able to run our application with a command like:
        application -fn kana14

With Solaris 2.2, our appliction worked fine by typing:
        application -fnk14

I can't figure out how to run our applications with the Kana fonts for
Solaris 2.3. It brings up the default fonts when I try any of the above
commands on Solaris 2.3.

My apologies if this is not the correct newsgroup for this message.

Thanks,
James Wilson

2. Architecture Question

3. 2.2 -> 2.3 -> 2.4: differences?

4. FSTAB what file type is a NTFS partition?

5. Help: Problems after upgrading Slackware 2.2 to 2.3

6. Setting process name

7. How do I upgrade from Slackware 2.2 to 2.3

8. Configuring Sendmail

9. tmpfs & mmap oddity on Solaris 2.2 and 2.3

10. Write errors via NFS with new Linux kernels 2.2.x/2.3.x

11. SLIP for solaris 2.2 or 2.3?

12. HELP, upgrading 2.2 to 2.3

13. Upgrade problems 2.2->2.3