Running the CD-RW as non-root

Post by Jason Bon » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm running several cd-rw programs and all seem not
to want to work when running as non-root.  The cdrom
and cd-rw drives are set up as:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Aug 31 21:29 cdrom -> sr8

brwsrwsrwx   1 root     root      11,   8 Aug 29 18:58 sr8

for the cdrom and

brwxrwxrwx   1 root     root      11,   0 Aug 29 18:58 sr0

for the cd-rw

when I run cdrtoaster and try to blank a cd-rw media it says:

cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Cannot do mlockall(2).

When I try and run ripperX as non-root it says:

Error Code 14:
Cdparanoia complains /dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.

and I've made sure there is a cd in the cdrom drive.

When I try and run kisocd and click on options, it lists the incorrect
cd-rw drive and says below it:
I have to be root to scan the scsi-devices!

All of these programs run fine as root, so it must be some
permission problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

  Jason

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. Disk Quotas?

3. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

4. Help: problem with libc.so.4

5. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

6. f77 rand function

7. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

8. Support for 3Com 3C589B PCMCIA lan card

9. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)

10. non-root to mount floppies as rw

11. vi (Re: =-> Is /tmp: -rw-rw-rw- root system" a risc?)

12. Non-SCSI CD-RW HELP !!!

13. Two unrelated questions -- cdrecord with non-scsi cd-rw drive / timidity.cfg