amount of modems in linux...

Post by Ruair » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I posted an earlier message (below) regarding probs with external modem.  I
think I've cured it.  Even though the modem was external I still had the
original win modem inside the PC,  I could only get a response from the
external modem by taking out the internal modem.  This was even after trying
all combinations of com settings etc.  I cannot set the com port in the
intenral modem as it's plug and play.

Can there only be one modem on a Redhat 5.2 Linux system?  Both modems sat
side by side ok in Windows 95/98 and NT.

Cheers,

Ruairi

----------------------------original
post------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have one of those Intenral Winmodem which Linux does not recognise.

In the meantime I purchased an externa 33.6 Micocom OfficePorte Voice modem
on the assumption that external modems are 'real' modems and that it would
work.  I think Microcom is owned by Compaq

However, I cannot get the system to recognise it.  In minicom I set the
modem up and when exiting it says 'initializing modem' and nothing at all,
no lights or anything flash on the modem.  When the words initializing modem
disappear and the terminal screen appears but when I try and type AT on the
keyboard nothing appears on screen.  All I can do is press CTRL A Z for
help.    It does'nt matter what com port I place it on.

The modem works ok in windows.

Any one know if this modem can work with Redhat 5.2?  I think the modem may
be plug and play, even if a plug and play modem is external will there still
be probs.  Plug and Play is a guess, there's nothing in the modem doc to say
plug and play.

thanks,

Ruairi

amount of modems in linux...

Post by AeonFlux » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Can there only be one modem on a Redhat 5.2 Linux system?  Both modems sat
>side by side ok in Windows 95/98 and NT.

>Cheers,

>Ruairi

Windows assigned the modem the correct irq, then initialized the
winmodem on another irq and port.

The number of modems is limited by the number of serial ports and
irq's on your system.  Try "ls -la /dev | grep -i cua"

AeonFlux?

amount of modems in linux...

Post by Duy D » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I also have 2 modems, but no problem what so ever under RH6 and Mandrake 6.
External 56K motorola + 56K LT winmodem.

> I posted an earlier message (below) regarding probs with external modem.  I
> think I've cured it.  Even though the modem was external I still had the
> original win modem inside the PC,  I could only get a response from the
> external modem by taking out the internal modem.  This was even after trying
> all combinations of com settings etc.  I cannot set the com port in the
> intenral modem as it's plug and play.

> Can there only be one modem on a Redhat 5.2 Linux system?  Both modems sat
> side by side ok in Windows 95/98 and NT.

> Cheers,

> Ruairi

> ----------------------------original
> post------------------------------------------------------------

> Hello,

> I have one of those Intenral Winmodem which Linux does not recognise.

> In the meantime I purchased an externa 33.6 Micocom OfficePorte Voice modem
> on the assumption that external modems are 'real' modems and that it would
> work.  I think Microcom is owned by Compaq

> However, I cannot get the system to recognise it.  In minicom I set the
> modem up and when exiting it says 'initializing modem' and nothing at all,
> no lights or anything flash on the modem.  When the words initializing modem
> disappear and the terminal screen appears but when I try and type AT on the
> keyboard nothing appears on screen.  All I can do is press CTRL A Z for
> help.    It does'nt matter what com port I place it on.

> The modem works ok in windows.

> Any one know if this modem can work with Redhat 5.2?  I think the modem may
> be plug and play, even if a plug and play modem is external will there still
> be probs.  Plug and Play is a guess, there's nothing in the modem doc to say
> plug and play.

> thanks,

> Ruairi

amount of modems in linux...

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I posted an earlier message (below) regarding probs with external modem.  I
> think I've cured it.  Even though the modem was external I still had the
> original win modem inside the PC,  I could only get a response from the
> external modem by taking out the internal modem.  This was even after trying
> all combinations of com settings etc.  I cannot set the com port in the
> intenral modem as it's plug and play.

> Can there only be one modem on a Redhat 5.2 Linux system?  Both modems sat
> side by side ok in Windows 95/98 and NT.

> Cheers,

> Ruairi

> ----------------------------original
> post------------------------------------------------------------

> Hello,

> I have one of those Intenral Winmodem which Linux does not recognise.

> In the meantime I purchased an externa 33.6 Micocom OfficePorte Voice modem
> on the assumption that external modems are 'real' modems and that it would
> work.  I think Microcom is owned by Compaq

> However, I cannot get the system to recognise it.  In minicom I set the
> modem up and when exiting it says 'initializing modem' and nothing at all,
> no lights or anything flash on the modem.  When the words initializing modem
> disappear and the terminal screen appears but when I try and type AT on the
> keyboard nothing appears on screen.  All I can do is press CTRL A Z for
> help.    It does'nt matter what com port I place it on.

> The modem works ok in windows.

> Any one know if this modem can work with Redhat 5.2?  I think the modem may
> be plug and play, even if a plug and play modem is external will there still
> be probs.  Plug and Play is a guess, there's nothing in the modem doc to say
> plug and play.

> thanks,

> Ruairi

Most likely although Linux was not using the Winmodem, there
was still an interrupt conflict because it was seen at the
hardware level.   You might have been able to resolve the problem
by fiddling with interrupts under Linux.   But why bother?
You don't ordinarily need two modems.   Put the Winmodem in
some other computer running only Windows or sell/give it away.

amount of modems in linux...

Post by Chris Mahmoo » Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>  Put the Winmodem in
> some other computer running only Windows or sell/give it away.

Better yet, sharpen the edges and throw it ninja-style at the clerk
who sold it to you.

Hare: An Abelian group?

amount of modems in linux...

Post by Ray O'Lear » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> >  Put the Winmodem in
> > some other computer running only Windows or sell/give it away.
> Better yet, sharpen the edges and throw it ninja-style at the clerk
> who sold it to you.

> Hare: An Abelian group?

*LOL* !!!

amount of modems in linux...

Post by Paul Husta » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I posted an earlier message (below) regarding probs with external modem.  I
>think I've cured it.  Even though the modem was external I still had the
>original win modem inside the PC,  I could only get a response from the
>external modem by taking out the internal modem.  This was even after trying
>all combinations of com settings etc.  I cannot set the com port in the
>intenral modem as it's plug and play.

When you say you tried all settings, does that include changing the com 'B' IO
address and IRQ from the CMOS setup? I'm certain that would've helped you.
Plug-Unt-Play Winmodems will still sit on an IRQ and IO (Com) port when it is
not being used. I'm guessing your Winmodem is hogging COM2 (IO 02f8) when no
driver is loaded.

If you get into CMOS setup and set com 'B' to COM3 and (unused IRQ) then you
can keep both modems attached to your system. You just need to be sure to tell
Linux that the modem is on /dev/ttyS2 instead of /dev/ttyS1. Do this from
setup or you can also simply point the symbolic link name /dev/modem:

( cd /dev ; rm modem ; ln -s ttyS2 modem [enter] )

Quote:>Can there only be one modem on a Redhat 5.2 Linux system?  Both modems sat
>side by side ok in Windows 95/98 and NT.

Ther can be more than one. I don't know how easy it would be to support
multiple TCP/IP connections, but I know linux will handle just about as many
serial ports as you can throw at it. The built in support (2.2* kernels) stops
at 32 serial ports.

OB Linux in the workplace:
Right now I'm setting up a slackware 4.0 box to act as a terminal server for a
number of PLCs at a beverage manufacturer (BIG Thanks to Joe Croft, the author
of Termpkg 3.0). I will start with simple one-way stuff like grabbing fill
weights, encapsulating the 8bit-clean serial data into a telnet session and
dumping the data to a delimited text file for import into a Database or
spreadsheet.

--
Paul Hustava

amount of modems in linux...

Post by Michel Catuda » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I also have 2 modems, but no problem what so ever under RH6 and Mandrake 6.
> External 56K motorola + 56K LT winmodem.

Correction! You have 1 modem and 1 winmodem

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

1. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

Hello,

        I've configured my linux box to receive calls from two 28.8
SupraExpress modems (both support v.34).  Everything works fine, the
connection, everything.  However, when the user logs off, the modems
literally go bezerks and make the LED display shows pure garbage and
the SD/RD leds blinks relentlessly.  After that, the modem no longer
answer to commands issued by my system or to incoming calls, and I get
this kind of messages inside /var/adm/messages:

Feb 24 14:05:02 zeus kernel: ttyS0: 13 input overrun(s)

        for both ports.  The only solution is to power off the modem
and restart it.  Then, uugetty regains controls and accepts answers.

        Here's a copy of my /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS0 file:

CLEAR = NO
HANGUP=YES
#DEBUG=777
DEBUG=010
INIT="" AT&F2S0=1\r OK
ALTLOCK=cua0
ALTLINE=cua0
#WAITFOR=RING
#CONNECT="" ATs0=1\r CONNECT \s\A
TIMEOUT=60

        Help!

        ...David

--

// Socom technologies, Inc.        Tel: 514/939-0480 Fax: 514/939-0834
   " There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. " -- Mark Twain

2. DE-220T support

3. getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

4. LaTeX for Linux

5. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

6. Moving Software raid disks?

7. Determining the amount of traffic over a modem

8. good links on fighting SPAM for REDHat Sendmail

9. List of plug-ins for linux/netscape please!

10. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

11. Linux and Dial-ins (?)

12. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?

13. Netscape plug-ins under Linux