How do i clear ttyS's so i can install a new modem

How do i clear ttyS's so i can install a new modem

Post by Dave Brow » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have a friend with the 3Com * modem...And it works, so i know its
compatable...I tryed installing my old modem on every ttyS....and
dev/modem....how would i un-install my old modem from the ttyS's? So I can
install my new 3Com * modem? This is what i'm typing to install it in
the first place...."setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x10a0 irq
3"....and than it gives me the error message "cannot setserial, adress
already in use"...And i've tryed installing it under every ttyS...And it
gives me that same error message...So thats why i think my old modem is
still installed for some reason...How can i clear the ttyS's?

How do i clear ttyS's so i can install a new modem

Post by Stu » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I hate to be the one to tell you this but those * modems don't improve
your performance that much.  But they should work as well as the normal
3com modem.  Did you take out your other modem?  If so then it should be ok
to install the new one.  What version of linux are you running.  Do you use
kppp for your internet connection?  Look for jumpers on your modem and if
it has them on there then it should have came with a chart and set it to
the automatic setting or something of that sort.  And then you have to do
whatever you were doing i guess i have never actually heard of doing it
that way.
email for further assistance

> I have a friend with the 3Com * modem...And it works, so i know its
> compatable...I tryed installing my old modem on every ttyS....and
> dev/modem....how would i un-install my old modem from the ttyS's? So I
can
> install my new 3Com * modem? This is what i'm typing to install it
in
> the first place...."setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x10a0 irq
> 3"....and than it gives me the error message "cannot setserial, adress
> already in use"...And i've tryed installing it under every ttyS...And it
> gives me that same error message...So thats why i think my old modem is
> still installed for some reason...How can i clear the ttyS's?

> --

1. How do i clear ttyS's so i can install new modem

I have a friend with the 3Com gaming modem...And it works, so i know its
compatable...I tryed installing my old modem on every ttyS....and
dev/modem....how would i un-install my old modem from the ttyS's? So I can
install my new 3Com gaming modem? This is what i'm typing to install it in
the first place...."setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x10a0 irq
3"....and than it gives me the error message "cannot setserial, adress
already in use"...And i've tryed installing it under every ttyS...And it
gives me that same error message...So thats why i think my old modem is
still installed for some reason...How can i clear the ttyS's?

2. tcsh on Solaris2.1

3. 'clear' does not clear screen

4. Change poster name

5. clear command - Clear does not clear my screen.

6. help, or I will give up.

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Using Linux Apps on Unix machines

9. Modem doesn't clear

10. new tty/old tty

11. Can't install new modem.

12. Problem with readline's clear-screen after installing bash 2.0