Looking for a good Linux guide.

Post by Egg LeFu » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi.

        I'll be installing Linux (RedHat 5.1) for the first time, and I'm
looking for a decent book on running Linux. I've been using one Unix shell
or another for about five years (school, ISP), so I'm ok from the "user"
standpoint, and the installation guide (plus a mailing list, HOWTOs, and
usenet) should be enough to help me get it installed, but after that, I'd
be at a loss, so a book would be helpful.  I only saw two at my local
bookstore; Linux in a Nutshell (or was it Unix in a Nutshell?), which
seems to be just a biiig list of commands, nothing I couldn't figure out
from the man pages, and Linux for Dummies, which looked like a decent
book.  Can I do better than that?  Something that would tell me "If you
wanna do this, you have to do this and this,"  "Doing this is a bad idea
because yaddayadda..."  That kind of thing.  I checked the book listing at
linux.org, and well, they all look the same from their descriptions.
I'll be using the machine as a stand-alone box for the most part, but I'll
have it on the net for a few hours a day, and would like to have a few
users, and eventually learn sysadmin-type stuff.  Can someone recommend a
good guide, maybe something that would cover the basics, and touch on the
more complex stuff? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jamie Kufrovich

--

FMS3amr A- C- H+ M+ P+++ R+ T Z+ Sp#
RL->CT a cu++ e++ f h+ iw+ j p- sm#

Post by Eric Turne » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.

>         I'll be installing Linux (RedHat 5.1) for the first time, and I'm
> looking for a decent book on running Linux. I've been using one Unix shell
> or another for about five years (school, ISP), so I'm ok from the "user"
> standpoint, and the installation guide (plus a mailing list, HOWTOs, and
> usenet) should be enough to help me get it installed, but after that, I'd
> be at a loss, so a book would be helpful.  I only saw two at my local
> bookstore; Linux in a Nutshell (or was it Unix in a Nutshell?), which
> seems to be just a biiig list of commands, nothing I couldn't figure out
> from the man pages, and Linux for Dummies, which looked like a decent
> book.  Can I do better than that?  Something that would tell me "If you
> wanna do this, you have to do this and this,"  "Doing this is a bad idea
> because yaddayadda..."  That kind of thing.  I checked the book listing at
> linux.org, and well, they all look the same from their descriptions.
> I'll be using the machine as a stand-alone box for the most part, but I'll
> have it on the net for a few hours a day, and would like to have a few
> users, and eventually learn sysadmin-type stuff.  Can someone recommend a
> good guide, maybe something that would cover the basics, and touch on the
> more complex stuff? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

> Jamie Kufrovich

> --

> FMS3amr A- C- H+ M+ P+++ R+ T Z+ Sp#
> RL->CT a cu++ e++ f h+ iw+ j p- sm#

I got my start with Slackware Unleashed and can honestly recommend it. I
think it's published by SAMS although I can't verify that since I lent
it out last year and never got it back (a testimony to its usability or
to my friends laziness... Paul, I want my book back!).

Eric Turner

Looking for a good Linux guide.

Post by Jame » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm using the linux special edition published by que books. They're pretty
good. Also O'reilly does have a more comprehensive book about linux. YOu can
order it form the wepage.

Post by Kevin Lars » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi.

>>         I'll be installing Linux (RedHat 5.1) for the first time, and I'm
>> looking for a decent book on running Linux.

<stuff deleted>

I have been reading Using Linux by William Ball.  I would highly
recommend it.  Beware though, it isn't a highly technical book.  It
gives a lot of solutions to problems, but doesn't delve into why
things are done certain ways.

1. Good Linux Admin Guide?

I'm looking for a good, complete, Linux administration manual WITHOUT a CD.
I was thinking of the Linux Bible, but having recently read a description of
it, it sound like it's really basic.  Is there some sort of a consensus on a
good general purpose, intermediate to advanced book on the subject?

Trent

2. HELP ! fips

3. Looking for doc-Linux Network Administrators' Guide

4. RedHat 6.0 Gnome broke

5. Looking for reference & guide to Linux.

6. Roadrunner & Solaris 8 help!!!

7. Linux Setup Guide and System administration guide.

8. High Level Mutexes

9. Expert Guide: A Text Mode Norton Guide Reader For Linux

10. Expert Guide - Norton Guide Reader For Linux

11. Looking for good linux sites

12. Looking for some good reference sources for the linux native filesystem (and swap)