Netscape and video/x-ms-asf

Post by cbai.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Netscape 4.73 on Linux (Caldera 2.4) says it doesn't
know about video/x-ms-asf files even though I have
added that mime type.  Anyone seen (and dealt with)
this before.

Frustrated in Falls Church

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netscape and video/x-ms-asf

Post by Bob Hau » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:43:41

>Netscape 4.73 on Linux (Caldera 2.4) says it doesn't
>know about video/x-ms-asf files even though I have
>added that mime type.

Are you sure that the server is actually using the correct mime type?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Netscape and video/x-ms-asf

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Netscape 4.73 on Linux (Caldera 2.4) says it doesn't
>know about video/x-ms-asf files even though I have
>added that mime type.  Anyone seen (and dealt with)
>this before.

As the MIME type subtly indicates, the ASF video format is a Microsoft
proprietary format. The closest I've ever come to ASF support under Linux
are a few players that will play audio but no video from these files.

I've been looking for a Linux-based ASF player for some time now, and as
soon as I find one I assure you it'll have links to it plastered all over
my web page.

--

Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.4.0-test6

Netscape and video/x-ms-asf

Post by cbai.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I've been looking for a Linux-based ASF player for some time now, and
as
> soon as I find one I assure you it'll have links to it plastered all
over
> my web page.

> --

> Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.4.0-test6

A beta version of Microsoft Media Player for Linux
is available from Microsoft.  I downloaded it and it
plays video and I get sound - seems to work fine.
My only problem is that I am not able to call it from
Netscape.  Cliff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netscape and video/x-ms-asf

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>A beta version of Microsoft Media Player for Linux
>is available from Microsoft.  I downloaded it and it
>plays video and I get sound - seems to work fine.
>My only problem is that I am not able to call it from
>Netscape.  Cliff

Whereabouts on their site? I searched for "Media Player: and found a download
page where I could D/L for the various Microsoft platforms, but no mention
of Linux. When I searched for "linux", their page came up blank. ({chuckle}
Linux really is breaking Microsoft ;> ).

--

Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.4.0-test6

Netscape and video/x-ms-asf

Post by cbai.. » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 21:55:05

I do not have the URL.  I got it by doing a search in Yahoo.
I did download the beta version of Media Player so I know it
can be done.  Cliff

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 11:15:07

> >Netscape 4.73 on Linux (Caldera 2.4) says it doesn't
> >know about video/x-ms-asf files even though I have
> >added that mime type.  Anyone seen (and dealt with)
> >this before.

> As the MIME type subtly indicates, the ASF video format is a Microsoft
> proprietary format. The closest I've ever come to ASF support under Linux
> are a few players that will play audio but no video from these files.

Xmps can play video, but without sound. Performance isn't very good for these.
DivX avi format is much better supported, with sound, and is fast. The DivX
format should be used for compressed high quality video instead of this
Microsoft thing (although they are both variants of MPEG-4).
--

Vladimir

Netscape and video/x-ms-asf

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 13:56:35

>I do not have the URL.  I got it by doing a search in Yahoo.
>I did download the beta version of Media Player so I know it
>can be done.  Cliff

The only reference I could find on either Microsoft's site or Yahoo! was
for a Unix player (Solaris, specifically). A news article I found pointed
to a Microsoft Unix download page which re-directed me towards their main
download page; no mention of Linux whatsoever.

For what platform did you download this file, and what were the search terms
you used in Yahoo! in order to obtain the product?

--

Post by wmcbr.. » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 05:53:25

> A beta version of Microsoft Media Player for Linux
> is available from Microsoft.

You're not talking about the old Netshow, are you? It was available for Linux
before MS bought it and turned it into MS Media Player. They promised updated
versions for Linux and other platforms for years, but did nothing.

1. Play MS Media ASF files under RH7?

I read that you could use aviplay to play  asf and avi files under
linux, but I have not been able to configure this to work for either
format.

Can someone suggest a HOWTO or another utility that will do this for me?

Thanks in advance,

~paul

2. Garbled characters - how to fix?

3. Is MS *.asf format supported?

4. Calculating deltas between date & time stamps

5. MS .asf files on Linux?

6. Checking OWNER of Parent Process in 'C'

7. Can't see the asf video from Apache

8. distributed databases for an IBM PC Ethernet

9. microsoft .asf video format ?

10. ASF Player that plays video?

11. ASF Player for videos?

12. asf video