John Walker's Home Planet or Linux equivalent

John Walker's Home Planet or Linux equivalent

Post by William Cliffor » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:54:09

[crossposted to comp.os.linux.misc and sci.astro. Followups set to
comp.os.linux.misc.]

I really like John Walker's _Home Planet_ for Windows

http://www.fourmilab.ch/homeplanet/homeplanet.html

and have been looking for a replacement in Linux. There doesn't seem to
be one. At least not any that do everything Home Planet does. Does
anyone know if Home Planet runs okay in Wine? (I can't think of a reason
why it wouldn't but I thought I would check first)

Alternatively, does anyone know of any Linux native apps in development
that are worth looking into? I saw a lot of early alpha stuff or
projects that looked quite dead. Is anyone interested in working on
something like it? Are there are any live skywatching/astro-educational
projects out there?

Thanks in advance.

--

|"I find in favor of your claim, in newsgroup style justice. However  |
| I also find completely in favor of myself."                         |

Post by Davi » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 01:40:13

> [crossposted to comp.os.linux.misc and sci.astro. Followups set to
> comp.os.linux.misc.]

> I really like John Walker's _Home Planet_ for Windows

> http://www.fourmilab.ch/homeplanet/homeplanet.html

> and have been looking for a replacement in Linux. There doesn't seem to
> be one. At least not any that do everything Home Planet does. Does
> anyone know if Home Planet runs okay in Wine? (I can't think of a reason
> why it wouldn't but I thought I would check first)

> Alternatively, does anyone know of any Linux native apps in development
> that are worth looking into? I saw a lot of early alpha stuff or
> projects that looked quite dead. Is anyone interested in working on
> something like it? Are there are any live skywatching/astro-educational
> projects out there?

Not sure if the programs at this link are what you are looking or but
they might be worth a look.

http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/bridgman/AstroPy/

ID # 123538

John Walker's Home Planet or Linux equivalent

Post by William Hamble » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:54:47

On 3 Mar 2002 05:54:09 GMT, William Clifford

>Alternatively, does anyone know of any Linux native apps in development
>that are worth looking into? I saw a lot of early alpha stuff or
>projects that looked quite dead. Is anyone interested in working on
>something like it? Are there are any live skywatching/astro-educational
>projects out there?

XEphem is available from http://www.clearskyinstitute.com.  It runs on
Unix with Motif (or Lesstif) and the X Window System.  You can buy the
binaries and data on CD-ROM from E. C. Downey or you can download the
source and compile your own binaries.

Post by Victor Wagn » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:59:38

: On 3 Mar 2002 05:54:09 GMT, William Clifford

:>Alternatively, does anyone know of any Linux native apps in development
:>that are worth looking into? I saw a lot of early alpha stuff or
:>projects that looked quite dead. Is anyone interested in working on
:>something like it? Are there are any live skywatching/astro-educational
:>projects out there?

: XEphem is available from http://www.clearskyinstitute.com.  It runs on
: Unix with Motif (or Lesstif) and the X Window System.  You can buy the
: binaries and data on CD-ROM from E. C. Downey or you can download the
: source and compile your own binaries.

It is also included into Debian distribution.

--
In general, they do what you want, unless you want consistency.
             -- Larry Wall in the perl man page

John Walker's Home Planet or Linux equivalent

Post by Matthias Spr√ľngli » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 20:34:33

Hi
Do you know kstars?

http://edu.kde.org/kstars -> edu.kde.org seems to be down at the moment...

http://apps.kde.com/uk/0/info/id/1050 should work.

> Alternatively, does anyone know of any Linux native apps in development
> that are worth looking into? I saw a lot of early alpha stuff or
> projects that looked quite dead. Is anyone interested in working on
> something like it? Are there are any live skywatching/astro-educational
> projects out there?

Matts Sprnglin

1. Linux's equivalent to FreeBSD's 'watch'

I'm familiar with the FreeBSD's 'watch' command where one logged in as
root can monitor and interact with another user's session, but does
anyone know if there's such a util in linux?  I hope so as it can at
times prove to be quite a useful diagnostic tool to help resolve users'
problems (among other uses).

Thanks in advance,

Bill

2. How to run Linux as an X-terminal over the modem?

3. 4.3 compiling John-1.5 {John the ripper}

4. Newbie question: Backspace

5. Linux's equivalent to FreeBSD's 'watch'

6. RH6.1 hangs every month

7. seeking linux equivalent to 'outportb' and 'inpw', please

8. Linux on MIPS

9. linux equivalent to 'outportb' and 'inpw', please

10. How to set up john@domain1.com and john@domain2.com on same server?

11. find out the files > ( file size ) ie 10M or 10K on /export/home/john

12. What should this do?: $SHELL -c 'HOME=foo echo $HOME'