disable all screensavers?

Post by goa.. » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 08:00:40

I try to play a DVD or VCD in Linux, and a screensaver blanks my screen.
How do I
1) Definitively find all screensavers running on the system, regardless
of how they are running.
or,
2) Disable any screensaver that may be running, withot regard to what
screensaver it is.

Surely this must be possible. How does Windows handle it?

disable all screensavers?

Post by Tom » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 08:36:51

If you look in your control center for screensavers it will have a way to
disable them.

> I try to play a DVD or VCD in Linux, and a screensaver blanks my screen.
> How do I
> 1) Definitively find all screensavers running on the system, regardless
> of how they are running.
> or,
> 2) Disable any screensaver that may be running, withot regard to what
> screensaver it is.

> Surely this must be possible. How does Windows handle it?

disable all screensavers?

Post by David Dorwar » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 08:46:26

Quote:> I try to play a DVD or VCD in Linux, and a screensaver blanks my screen.
> How do I
> 1) Definitively find all screensavers running on the system, regardless
> of how they are running.
> or,
> 2) Disable any screensaver that may be running, withot regard to what
> screensaver it is.

I've had trouble with screen blanking when I watch DVDs with Ogle, but not
with mplayer. You might want to try using mplayer as your DVD software
instead of whatever you are using at the moment.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
Thinking about emailing me? Only do so if it isn't apropriate for this

disable all screensavers?

Post by mjt » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:36:50

disable all screensavers?

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 07:45:27

> > If you look in your control center for screensavers it will have a way to
> > disable them.

> Unfortunately, this is not even close to being an answer to my question.
> I asked:

> >> How do I
> >> 1) Definitively find all screensavers running on the system, regardless
> >> of how they are running.
> >> or,
> >> 2) Disable any screensaver that may be running, withot regard to what
> >> screensaver it is.

> Your answer, instead, tells me how to disable whatever screensaver(s) are
> controlled by the Gnome/KDE control centers. This is neither definitively
> finding all screensavers on the system, nor is it disabling any screensaver
> without regard to what screensaver it is. It is only how to disable a specific
> screensaver. A system may have multiple screensavers running, and I have no
> way to track them down. I need a definitive way to disable all screensavers.
> Just disabling one does not help if the screen still blanks after a period
> of keyboard inactivity.

I doubt there is any definitive way to disable all
screensavers.

First off, how is the system supposed to recognize a
screensaver from some other program?  There's no way (that
I'm aware of) to identify a screensaver from some other type
of program.

Secondly, running multiple screensavers makes no sense
unless you're running in a multi-head environment, _and_
need different blanking characteristics on each (i.e., for
multiple users, not one user with a multi-screen desktop).

As to how Windows handles it...I suspect (educated guess,
here) that on the _vast_ majority (if not all) of Windows
systems, the only screen saver running is MS's own from the
"Control Panel".  Then it's obvious what the screensaver
is.  Consequently I'd be surprised if any third-party
screensavers were indeed turned of simultaneously.

Your problem arises during DVD playing.  Another poster
suggested using mplayer.  One of the things mplayer does is
to disable DPMS before playing and re-enable after.  You can
do this manually if your player doesn't do that.  'man xset'
for starters.  If you want to permanently disable DPMS, edit
XF86Config.  See the appropriate man pages.

I think your problem is not a screen saver, per se, but
DPMS.  Go read up on DPMS.

disable all screensavers?

Post by ynotsso » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 09:20:29

Quote:

> I try to play a DVD or VCD in Linux, and a screensaver blanks my screen.
> How do I
> 1) Definitively find all screensavers running on the system, regardless
> of how they are running.
> or,
> 2) Disable any screensaver that may be running, withot regard to what
> screensaver it is.

> Surely this must be possible. How does Windows handle it?

Not sure about M$, but in Linux you may want to try:

    /bin/setterm -powersave off -blank 0

This won't prevent a user from starting a screensaver, and may not override
the X window manager settings you are using. For X, you should go to the
configuration area of the GUI desktop and disable the screensaver there.

         tony