Netscape windows DISAPPEAR :(

Post by Okta » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am running Netscape 4.61 on Mandrake Linux 6.1. (X vers. 3.3.5)
Very very often all Netscape windows disappear when I;

1) Close one of the windows using either the 'x' on the top right of the
window or choosing file/close.

2) Press the 'enter' key, or click 'submit', 'OK' on a pop-up password
autenthication window. (Or if I press 'esc' or click 'cancel')

I read something about chkfonthpath etc. But when I tried to use the
command for 75dpi font, it says that 75dpi fonts is already installed, and
doesn't solve the problem.

What can I do?? (I hear the problem is not solved in Netscape 7)

Oktay

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by kev » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am running Netscape 4.61 on Mandrake Linux 6.1. (X vers. 3.3.5)
> Very very often all Netscape windows disappear when I;

> 1) Close one of the windows using either the 'x' on the top right of the
> window or choosing file/close.

> 2) Press the 'enter' key, or click 'submit', 'OK' on a pop-up password
> autenthication window. (Or if I press 'esc' or click 'cancel')

> I read something about chkfonthpath etc. But when I tried to use the
> command for 75dpi font, it says that 75dpi fonts is already installed, and
> doesn't solve the problem.

> What can I do?? (I hear the problem is not solved in Netscape 7)

Putting up with it is probably your only option. Or use a different browser.
The chkfontpath fix was for a Java problem (does your browser crash when it
sees Java applets?).
My netscape randomly dies too (average once every couple of days or so), I'm
using 4.7.

- Kev

Quote:

Post by Mike Brow » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am running Netscape 4.61 on Mandrake Linux 6.1. (X vers. 3.3.5)
> Very very often all Netscape windows disappear when I;

> 1) Close one of the windows using either the 'x' on the top right of the
> window or choosing file/close.

> 2) Press the 'enter' key, or click 'submit', 'OK' on a pop-up password
> autenthication window. (Or if I press 'esc' or click 'cancel')

> I read something about chkfonthpath etc. But when I tried to use the
> command for 75dpi font, it says that 75dpi fonts is already installed, and
> doesn't solve the problem.

> What can I do?? (I hear the problem is not solved in Netscape 7)

> Oktay

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

I was having the same problems as you.  Also if you went into the editor
and opened a dialog it would kill netscape every time when you closed
the dialog box or selected OK.  General flaky operation that seemed to
be worse than before.  I had recently ugraded to XFree86 3.3.5 trying to
fix another problem I was having (it turned out to be a intermittent
mother board) and I know that I used the editor back then, so I went
back to XFree86 3.3.3 and all netscapes random crashes and editor
operations were returned to normal.  Something about 3.3.5 and
netscape's dialog boxes and window closing does not agree with
netscape.  I'm running red hat 5.2 and netscape 4.51.

hope this helps,
mike

1. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

Hello there people:)...
  I had linux kernel 1.2.8 installed in my system. I have a SLIP/PPP
connection using either dip (for SLIP) or pppd/chat (for PPP).
  Now, Most of my network stuff are working fine without any problem at all
except talk. Talk works fine for local chatting. No problem at all. The
problem is when ever I call out to other machine (using the SLIP/PPP line),
nothing has ever happen. It got as far as Checking invitation stuff. Never
more.
  Just out of curiosity I ran netstate to check the udp connection whenever
I have talk running. Running locally (talk that is) I got output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
udp        0      0 lucifer.newpaltz.:1328 *:*

Which I presumed opened by talk (only one here because the other side hadn't
responded to the call yet).  I also get the same thing whenever I call
someone outside my system to talk. Of course, it never got to the other
system (I was waiting on the other system using telnet for the talk request,
never got there. And I had made sure that mesg was y).

Now when I call *IN* from other system (telnet to another system and run
talk over there to my system), I have (on my system) output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User

And also from netstat -a, I could find talk/ntalk were still listening.
Seems to me the call from outside didn't get through.

Now, since I haven't done anything to configure talk specifically, is there
anything I have to do to make this connection possible. Since I can't talk
to outside nor can I receive talk request from other hosts, I'm under the
assumption that my talk program somehow is not configured properly.

Any configuration file I have to check?
man, faq, howto, etc to refer to this kind of error?
May be replace my talk/ntalk/talkd/ntalkd with something else and where to
find it/them?
Does it depend on something in the kernel that I have to enable during the
compile time?
Wrong version altogether with the kernel?
Is it possible that talk needs long time to make the connection? (None of my
other stuff that I know of behave like this).
May be my inetd is broken?
If so, how do I check for it?
And where to find the latest version of it?

And while I'm at it, what's the latest version of talk?
Where to find it?
Is there a better chatting program that's backward compatible with talk?
Meaning that the program has more features than talk but at the same time
can be used to communicate with other regular talk program whenever the
program is not available on the other host.

--
Send comment and reply to:

2. Number NIne Imagin 128 Card

3. my trashed hard drive. :( :( :(

4. newbie: set up keyboard/mouse/screen

5. ppp0.pid disappears :(

6. mouse...and XF86

7. Help! Netscape has disappeared!

8. simple question about text editing tools

9. Netscape Disappears

10. disappearing Netscape downloads

11. Disappearing news servers in Netscape

12. Netscape Personal Toolbar Contents Disappear?

13. Netscape Communicator 4.77 disappeared on install