How to configure my Windows keys in Gnome v1.4?

How to configure my Windows keys in Gnome v1.4?

Post by Phillip P » Sat, 05 May 2001 14:47:19

I have been reading the newsgroups and trying to use xmodmap to
configure Windows keys in RedHat Linux v7.1. So far, I have been unable
to make them do anything. This is what I have so far in .Xmodmap file:

!Left Windows Key
keycode 115 = Alt_L

!Right Windows Key
keycode 116 = Meta_R

!Windows Menu Key
keycode 117 = Menu

I would like to make my Windows keys to bring up my Gnome Start
Favorites menu. I can't even make my Windows keys to do anything (i.e.
make CAPS on and off.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? I look forward to receiving replies
soon. :)
--
"I killed an ant, now all my relatives are afraid of me." --unknown
--

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )                                               ICQ UIN: 2223658

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Sat, 05 May 2001 23:56:09

> I have been reading the newsgroups and trying to use xmodmap to
> configure Windows keys in RedHat Linux v7.1. So far, I have been unable
> to make them do anything. This is what I have so far in .Xmodmap file:
> !Left Windows Key
> keycode 115 = Alt_L

        Hmm...doesn't your keyboard already have a left Alt key?  I'm not
sure if it matters, but better safe than sorry; give them names that don't
conflict with anything else.

        Anyway, yes, you want to add that to .Xmodmap.  Then run
"xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap".  Then use whatever key-mapping-setup program
Gnome offers to map the "Menu" key to "bring up menu".  You will also
want to add that xmodmap command to your .xinitrc file so that the
keys get set up every time you start X.

JDW

Post by a.. » Sun, 06 May 2001 05:40:31

>> I have been reading the newsgroups and trying to use xmodmap to
>> configure Windows keys in RedHat Linux v7.1. So far, I have been unable
>> to make them do anything. This is what I have so far in .Xmodmap file:
>> !Left Windows Key
>> keycode 115 = Alt_L
>    Hmm...doesn't your keyboard already have a left Alt key?  I'm not
> sure if it matters, but better safe than sorry; give them names that don't
> conflict with anything else.
>    Anyway, yes, you want to add that to .Xmodmap.  Then run
> "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap".  Then use whatever key-mapping-setup program
> Gnome offers to map the "Menu" key to "bring up menu".  You will also
> want to add that xmodmap command to your .xinitrc file so that the
> keys get set up every time you start X.

Ok. I can't figure out the command that calls the Gnome Start Menu or
the Favorites Menu. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place. I was looking
at Sawmill's keys binding. I am not sure how to configure the keys to call
the menu.
--
"Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding." --unknown
--

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

1. Use Windows key for Alt key in gnome-terminal

Since bash uses some Emacs keyboard commands, I'd like to use the same
keys in each. Currently, Emacs uses the Windows key on my natural
keyboard for Meta. That's good, because it's easier than the Alt key,
which is too close to the spacebar. But for the life of me (and I've
FAQ'ed, Deja'ed, and Alta'ed) I can't find out how to make
gnome-terminal use the Windows key instead of the Alt key for word
movement, e.g.

I'm rather gathering that gnome-terminal doesn't respect X mappings?

2. Support for IEEE 1284 Parallel Port

3. Gnome and windows "menu" key

4. Linux recovering from a dropped cable connection

5. How to configure my Windows keys?

6. BNC Patrol

7. Configuring function keys for "xterm" windows

8. Fresh install sees only 16 megs

9. How to configure my Windows keys?

10. Konsole and <ins> <del> keys

11. Ins key in ncurses applications?

12. Gnome configure error, gnome-libs version not seen correctly