Need to run DOS programs on UNIX machine (without emulators or repartioning)

Need to run DOS programs on UNIX machine (without emulators or repartioning)

Post by sdiesel » Sun, 18 May 2003 21:20:51

Hi

I have Pentium 150 with 32MB and FreeBSD 4.8 installed. I've got some
DOS programs and I want to run them without repartioning. I also can't
use emulator because my PC is too slow. Is there a way to do it?

Need to run DOS programs on UNIX machine (without emulators or repartioning)

Post by Robert Helle » Sun, 18 May 2003 21:45:29

  In a message on 17 May 2003 05:20:51 -0700, wrote :

s> Hi
s>
s> I have Pentium 150 with 32MB and FreeBSD 4.8 installed. I've got some
s> DOS programs and I want to run them without repartioning. I also can't
s> use emulator because my PC is too slow. Is there a way to do it?

Do you have sources?  If so, you can just re-compile them.

Otherwise, you get a copy of VMware and a (legal?) copy of MS-DOS (or
MS-Windows).  VMware is NOT an emulator, it is a 'virtual machine'.

32MB is a bit tight though.  You *could* just buy another (cheap) IDE
disk rather then repartioning your existing disk.

s>

Need to run DOS programs on UNIX machine (without emulators or repartioning)

Post by Nils M Hol » Sun, 18 May 2003 22:35:49

Quote:> I have Pentium 150 with 32MB and FreeBSD 4.8 installed. I've got some
> DOS programs and I want to run them without repartioning. I also can't
> use emulator because my PC is too slow. Is there a way to do it?

doscmd(1) is capable of booting DOS in x86 virtual mode. I am using
it myself to test cross-compiled DOS programs on my FreeBSD box.
It works fine and does not seem to be much than native DOS.

Nils.

--

Post by Timothy Murph » Sun, 18 May 2003 23:06:14

> doscmd(1) is capable of booting DOS in x86 virtual mode. I am using
> it myself to test cross-compiled DOS programs on my FreeBSD box.
> It works fine and does not seem to be much than native DOS.

But does doscmd run under Linux?

I looked up "linux doscmd" under google,
but all the entries seems extraordinarily ancient (1997--1999),
and I didn't see any RPMs or even tarballs.
Where does one get it (to run under Linux)?

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 18 May 2003 23:27:30

>> doscmd(1) is capable of booting DOS in x86 virtual mode. I am using
>> it myself to test cross-compiled DOS programs on my FreeBSD box.
>> It works fine and does not seem to be much than native DOS.
>But does doscmd run under Linux?
>I looked up "linux doscmd" under google,
>but all the entries seems extraordinarily ancient (1997--1999),
>and I didn't see any RPMs or even tarballs.
>Where does one get it (to run under Linux)?

Why post a Linux question to a FreeBSD NG?

--

Need to run DOS programs on UNIX machine (without emulators or repartioning)

Post by Todd Stephen » Sun, 18 May 2003 23:13:14

Quote:> I looked up "linux doscmd" under google,
> but all the entries seems extraordinarily ancient (1997--1999),
> and I didn't see any RPMs or even tarballs.
> Where does one get it (to run under Linux)?

But this isn't a Linux group...

--
Todd Stephens
for email, do like St. Patrick did

Post by Nils M Hol » Sun, 18 May 2003 23:50:58

>> doscmd(1) is capable of booting DOS in x86 virtual mode. [...]
> But does doscmd run under Linux?

Since you have posted to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,
I thought you might be looking for a FreeBSD solution.

Nils.

--

Post by Grant Edward » Sun, 18 May 2003 23:55:51

> I have Pentium 150 with 32MB and FreeBSD 4.8 installed. I've got some
> DOS programs and I want to run them without repartioning. I also can't
> use emulator because my PC is too slow.

I've run a lot of DOS programs on machines _way_ slower than that and they
work fine.  At least under Linux, using DOSemu, DOS programs run at pretty
close to 100% CPU speed.  They _are_ running on an 80x86 processor, ya know.

Quote:> Is there a way to do it?

Have you tried DOSemu and found it to be too slow?  If so, then your machine
is probably just too slow for the program, period -- emulator or not.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now I'm concentrating
                                  at               on a specific tank battle

Post by Ian Northeas » Mon, 19 May 2003 02:39:26

> > I looked up "linux doscmd" under google,
> > but all the entries seems extraordinarily ancient (1997--1999),
> > and I didn't see any RPMs or even tarballs.
> > Where does one get it (to run under Linux)?

> But this isn't a Linux group...

I think you need to check the followup you followed:) Although I don't
know why the OP crossposted this BSD question to a Linux group, it seems
to be causing some confusion.

Regards, Ian

Post by Donn Mille » Mon, 19 May 2003 02:41:48

> But does doscmd run under Linux?

> I looked up "linux doscmd" under google,
> but all the entries seems extraordinarily ancient (1997--1999),
> and I didn't see any RPMs or even tarballs.
> Where does one get it (to run under Linux)?

You want dosemu or Bochs.  Also, Wine has some limited capabilities for
running DOS apps.

Post by charo » Tue, 20 May 2003 14:43:26

> Why post a Linux question to a FreeBSD NG?

        Because he can't get an answer on a Linux NG?

--
"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity?  If Gladstone fell
into the Thames, it would be a misfortune.  But if someone dragged him

Post by Ian Northeas » Wed, 21 May 2003 05:15:07

> > Why post a Linux question to a FreeBSD NG?

>         Because he can't get an answer on a Linux NG?

The original query was about FreeBSD but for some reason crossposted
here. Then someone asked a question which was specific to Linux and so
set a followup to here. This caused some confusion, including one post,
to this group only, saying "this is not a Linux NG".

The real mystery is why the OP crossposted a FreeBSD question to a Linux
group.

The m*is that crossposts, if used at all, should be relevant.

Regards, Ian

Need to run DOS programs on UNIX machine (without emulators or repartioning)

Post by Taylor, Patrick [RICH1:VO00:EXCH » Thu, 22 May 2003 00:59:12

Quote:> Hi

> I have Pentium 150 with 32MB and FreeBSD 4.8 installed. I've got some
> DOS programs and I want to run them without repartioning. I also can't
> use emulator because my PC is too slow. Is there a way to do it?

Boot floppy, if your programs can fit on one, or if they can fit on CD-ROM.

Pt

1. NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

Hello,
 I've been assigned the task of administrating our local area network
which is uxis sr5. I know very little about unix. Is there a program
that I can run in windows 95 or dos that emulates unix? Something that
can teach me the basics of maneuvering around the directories and
writing small programs with the vi editor? Thanks in advance  Dean

2. WinNT and Linux

3. Need a unix emulator to run under windows98 to test shell progams.

4. How to use 2 DNS servers ?

5. HELP NEEDED: Need DOS emulator for WABI under Solaris

6. Free Unix course online

7. Running dos programs with Unix

8. Need HELP with XF86 server setup

9. How to run a DOS batch program from UNIX script non-interatively

10. Running MS-DOS programs on Unix machines

11. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

12. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

13. running a DOS program from C program under Linux ?