applixware crash with KDE2/Konqueror

Post by Maurizio Ferrar » Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:22:58

Hi.

I am experiencing this behaviour on several machines, with RH6.2, Suse 7.1,
Suse 7.2 , and applixware 5.0.

I run Applix 5.0 and KDE2.1.2 with all the recent libraries. BTW this
behaviour exists since KDE2.0

If I try to save from Applix words AND Konqueror is running, Applix
crashes, but  if no Konqueror is running, Applix words saves files OK. If
BOTH are running, Words crashes when Konqueror updates a window: for
example, whenever I change (remove or add) a file in a directory where I
have a Konqueror window open, so that Konqueror updates the window of  such
directory, if Applix Words is running it crashes mercyless

Doea anyone else experience this problem (I guess so as it happens on plain
vanilla systems and applix installations) and knows of workarounds?

Thank you

Maurizio

--
If you want to reply privately use the following address reversing the

Post by John Cord » Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:52:38

> Hi.

> I am experiencing this behaviour on several machines, with RH6.2, Suse 7.1,
> Suse 7.2 , and applixware 5.0.

> I run Applix 5.0 and KDE2.1.2 with all the recent libraries. BTW this
> behaviour exists since KDE2.0

> If I try to save from Applix words AND Konqueror is running, Applix
> crashes, but  if no Konqueror is running, Applix words saves files OK. If
> BOTH are running, Words crashes when Konqueror updates a window: for
> example, whenever I change (remove or add) a file in a directory where I
> have a Konqueror window open, so that Konqueror updates the window of  such
> directory, if Applix Words is running it crashes mercyless

> Doea anyone else experience this problem (I guess so as it happens on plain
> vanilla systems and applix installations) and knows of workarounds?

> Thank you

> Maurizio

 I have Applix 5.0 and don't have the problems you report (either of
 them). I just tested, Konqueror 2.1.1 running under KDE 2.1.2 - no
 crashes observed. I'm running Debian woody.

  John

Post by Goodyea » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 05:40:24

> Hi.

> I am experiencing this behaviour on several machines, with RH6.2, Suse
> 7.1, Suse 7.2 , and applixware 5.0.

> I run Applix 5.0 and KDE2.1.2 with all the recent libraries. BTW this
> behaviour exists since KDE2.0

> If I try to save from Applix words AND Konqueror is running, Applix
> crashes, but  if no Konqueror is running, Applix words saves files OK. If
> BOTH are running, Words crashes when Konqueror updates a window: for
> example, whenever I change (remove or add) a file in a directory where I
> have a Konqueror window open, so that Konqueror updates the window of
> such directory, if Applix Words is running it crashes mercyless

> Doea anyone else experience this problem (I guess so as it happens on
> plain vanilla systems and applix installations) and knows of workarounds?

> Thank you

> Maurizio

Sounds like it could be something simple like you don't have enough swap
space or /temp space on your drive(s) to run them both at the same time.
They eat space and memory.
--
thanks....Brian

Post by Maurizio Ferrar » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 06:13:47

>> Hi.

>> I am experiencing this behaviour on several machines, with RH6.2, Suse
>> 7.1, Suse 7.2 , and applixware 5.0.

>> I run Applix 5.0 and KDE2.1.2 with all the recent libraries. BTW this
>> behaviour exists since KDE2.0

>> If I try to save from Applix words AND Konqueror is running, Applix
>> crashes, but  if no Konqueror is running, Applix words saves files OK. If
>> BOTH are running, Words crashes when Konqueror updates a window: for
>> example, whenever I change (remove or add) a file in a directory where I
>> have a Konqueror window open, so that Konqueror updates the window of
>> such directory, if Applix Words is running it crashes mercyless

>> Doea anyone else experience this problem (I guess so as it happens on
>> plain vanilla systems and applix installations) and knows of workarounds?

>> Thank you

>> Maurizio

>  I have Applix 5.0 and don't have the problems you report (either of
>  them). I just tested, Konqueror 2.1.1 running under KDE 2.1.2 - no
>  crashes observed. I'm running Debian woody.

>   John

It seems now, with SUSE 7.2, on this machine, to have gone away...I'll keep
my fingers crossed and update another machine to Suse 7.2

Thanks to everybody that took the time to answer.

Maurizio

Post by Christopher R. Carle » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 03:52:12

> It seems now, with SUSE 7.2, on this machine, to have gone away...I'll keep
> my fingers crossed and update another machine to Suse 7.2

> Thanks to everybody that took the time to answer.

> Maurizio

I have Applix 5.0 crashing on my Suse 7.1 system with KDE 2.0.1 whenever
I right click anywhere outside of Applix, after clicking on any cell in
a spreadsheet.  I called Applix support (who were very accessible and
responsive, BTW), and they duplicated the situation.

I think they then tested on some different configurations, but the
result with an upgraded KDE on Suse .1 was still crash, but the problem
was resolved on Suse 7.2

It would be nice to know the ultimate cause of this is, but at least
there is reasonable documentation about it now in the public record.

_______________________
Christopher R. Carlen
Sr. Laser/Optical Tech.
Sandia National Labs

1. KDE2 / Konqueror Crashing

KDE2 crashes (freezes) system when using web browsing with Konqueror.
On reboot, fsck has to repair many 'inodes' with 'zero dtime.'

Using 2.4.0-test9 kernel.

Any suggestions ?

--
"Poof.  You're a puppeteer."

2. What's wrong with stak?

3. Kde2.2 install pb on Mdk 7.2 and Konqueror crash

4. Linux router eth1 problem

5. Another KDE2 RC2/konqueror problem

6. Script to delete lines...

7. Konqueror stops working after KDE2.1 upgrade

8. freebsd & ldap & pam & login

9. konqueror/kde2

10. Konqueror (KDE2 browser) in FreeBSD?

11. Font problems with KDE2 Konqueror

12. 2 kde2 Konquerors living dead.

13. KDE2.2/Solaris - Konqueror probs