gnome file association not being remembered

gnome file association not being remembered

Post by jcwaln » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:33:10

On my Mandrake 9.0 system, I have associated *.ram files with
realplayer. However, the associations never stick. When I exit the
file association menu then go back in, the association is what it was
before (which is realplayer when I need it to be realplay). And for
some reason, I can't change the viewer because that button is grayed
out.

I've tried edting some mime files I found (even those that said don't
edit by hand) but I guess I haven't found the right file yet, because
the file assocition is always realplayer when I need it to be
realplay.

Any ides?

1. File Associations in GNOME

Does anyone know how to make file associations between an application
and its documents when installing the application on a GNOME Linux
machine?

I've read where you can create user.keys and user.mime files in your
local mime-info folder to set up the open command and file icon, but
these file don't appear to be automatically recognized by GNOME.   A
Properties dialog of the application's document doesn't show the
appropriate mime type.   The document doesn't show appropriate icon and
won't double-click to launch application.

If I manually use Program->Settings->Document Handlers->Mime Types from
the desktop I can add a mime type to my application but the document
still won't launch the application.  Furthermore, the correct icon isn't
displayed.   If I do a Right click, Open With command on the document,
then it starts the application and opens the document.

I've also read on newgroups where gnome-vfs.mime is replacing the system
described above so even if I could get it to work its unclear whether it
would be a reliable way to deploy to any Linux distribution.

Can anyone shine some light on GNOME file associations to allow the
following during application installation:

From home directory with normal login:

-association document to application so double-clicking launches app and
opens document
-give document an appropriate icon based on file suffix

From system directory with root login:

-association document to application so double-clicking launches app and
opens document
-give document an appropriate icon based on file suffix

2. Configuring NCSA httpd, Help!

3. Anybody tried Sony laptop w/Linux yet?

4. Files not displayed in file selector: Gnome bug/error?

5. Problem with Apache personnal web server

6. Open Windows File Manager File Associations

7. history files - tracking users

8. Gnome Desktop Associations

9. KDE 3.0.1, kcontrol->File Browsing->File Associations icon bug?

10. File Manager and File associations

11. CDE File Manager - file association.

12. I am root and can not delete a file?