How to install gtk+ and glib in Redhat 5.0

How to install gtk+ and glib in Redhat 5.0

Post by boung ho Le » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I got *.tar.gz files
How to install

1. Gnome + GTK+ + GLIB + Glade development under RedHat 5.2 ???

There is a strong possibility that I will need to develop a Gnome / GTK+
C++ application to be run under RedHat 6.1 (or later).   However, my
development machine is presently running RedHat 5.2.  There are a pile
of reasons why I cannot just upgrade my machine to Red Hat 6.1 (don't
ask -- you don't really want to know).  I have not developed a *pure*
C++ w/GUI application in some time -- generally, I have been using
Tcl/Tk to create a GUI front-end for non-GUI C++ class libraries, but
this job will be different.

I have done some poking around and have found that I cannot just
download the current SRPM release of Gnome, GTK+, GLIB, and Glade and do
a rpm --rebuild, some some parts (gnome-libs in particular) seem to want
some extra stuff: gnome-libs wants utmepter, which needs something from
glibc 2.1, for example.  I have no interest in actually running the
Gnome desktop on my RedHat 5.2 box (I personally have no use for the
excessive eye-candy), I just want to create the GUI easily and quickly.

I have upgraded *some* pieces (I am running current versions of the GTK+
and GLIB development packages:

sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -qa | grep ^gtk
gtk+-1.0.6-3
gtk+-devel-1.2.3-2
gtk+-1.2.3-2
sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -qa | grep ^glib-
glib-devel-1.2.3-2
glib-1.0.6-3
glib-1.2.3-2

And I am running an older version of gnome:

sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -qa | grep ^gnome
gnome-core-0.20.1-2
gnome-libs-0.20-3
gnome-libs-devel-0.20-3
gnome-linuxconf-0.14-4rh

And I don't have glade installed at all.

Is there a version of the gnome development libraries and a version of
glade available that can be installed on a more or less stock RedHat 5.2
system?  I would *prefer* RPMs (or SRPMs), but I have no trouble with
tarballs of sources.

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

2. Solaris pseudo device programming

3. recompilation of glib-1.2.8, gtk+1.2.8 for Redhat 6.2

4. Syslog doesn't log

5. glib-1.1.15 and gtk+-1.1.15 with RedHat 5.2

6. How can I enable the Routing function of linux?

7. gtk+ wont install because of glib

8. another one?

9. Compile/Install problem with glib-1.2.10 and gtk+1.2.10

10. Trouble installing GLIB and GTK+

11. Can't install glib and gtk 1.2.1

12. Installing GTK+/glib

13. glib-1.2.3 and gtk-1.2.3 install problem