Printing to an SMB Winprinter

Post by David Be » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:03:10

Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print server without
the proper printer drivers?  The printer in question is a Xerox P8 (No e).
It's not just Linux that needs a driver for this thing -- My W2K machines can't
use it either!  It'd be nice if I could use the same solution for both Linux
and Windoze.  I was thinking, maybe there's a program I could run on the print
server to recieve the raw data and convert it as if it were being printed
directly from the that machine...  Does something like that exist, or is there
an easier solution?  Thanks!

-------------------------
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

Post by Peter K?hlman » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:09:26

> Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print server
> without
> the proper printer drivers?  The printer in question is a Xerox P8 (No e).
> It's not just Linux that needs a driver for this thing -- My W2K machines
> can't
> use it either!  It'd be nice if I could use the same solution for both
> Linux
> and Windoze.  I was thinking, maybe there's a program I could run on the
> print server to recieve the raw data and convert it as if it were being
> printed
> directly from the that machine...  Does something like that exist, or is
> there
> an easier solution?  Thanks!

> -------------------------
> David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

> Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
> address. :)

Yep, there is (in theory). It is called GhostScipt (and RedMon). Both work
together to tell the outside world "look, here's a PostScript Printer
waiting for you to connect).
It is not easy to set up, but once set up, it works without any bigger
problems. Just every other computer thinks, its printing to a Postscript
printer on another computer.

Printing to an SMB Winprinter

Post by David Be » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:05:06

Looks like what I need. :)  Thanks!

-------------------------
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

Printing to an SMB Winprinter

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 01:21:24

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print server without
> the proper printer drivers?

You multi-posted this message -- posted it separately to different
newsgroups. I answered in another group. In the future, when you must
post to multiple groups, cross-post -- post once, listing all the groups
on one line. As a general rule, you should post to just one group, with
two or three as the absolute maximum. Multi-posting wastes time and
bandwidth. For instance, I wouldn't have answered if I'd seen Peter's
answer in this thread, which provides basically the same information I
did in my response.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

1. Printing to an SMB Winprinter

Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print server without
the proper printer drivers?  The printer in question is a Xerox P8 (No e).
It's not just Linux that needs a driver for this thing -- My W2K machines can't
use it either!  It'd be nice if I could use the same solution for both Linux
and Windoze.  I was thinking, maybe there's a program I could run on the print
server to recieve the raw data and convert it as if it were being printed
directly from the that machine...  Does something like that exist, or is there
an easier solution?  Thanks!

-------------------------
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

2. Caldera Linux Server 3.1.1 (2.4.13) Installation - HELP needed

3. Is this particular Turtle Beach sound card supported?

4. Printing to an SMB Winprinter?

5. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.11)

6. SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

7. XFree 4.x and screen size

8. printing with winprinters

9. Can connect to smb://192.168.0.112/share but not smb://NYS/share

10. should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

11. Such a thing as "Secure" SMB, ie encrypted SMB?

12. smbsh /smb: Do I create the directory /smb