HELP: Python SCSI backup tape.... Problems

HELP: Python SCSI backup tape.... Problems

Post by Colin Dic » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,
  After reading through a few threads, it appears I have all the components
but have yet to see an answer to the problem I am having.  When I boot, I
get the following (amongst other things) listed in /proc/scsi/scsi:
====================
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python XXXXX-XXX Rev: 4.AF
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
====================

I notice that the Python was not able to list the model number and wonder
if that is part of my problem.
In /proc/devices I have this entry (amongst others):
==================
Character devices:
  9 st
==================

I can enter the mt status command with the following results:
========================

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
========================

But when I try to tar anything onto the tape, I get an error.  Also,
similar errors when I try to read from the tape etc...:
=======================

boot/
boot/lost+found/
boot/System.map-2.2.5-15
boot/module-info-2.2.5-15
boot/vmlinux-2.2.5-15
boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
tar (grandchild): Cannot write to /dev/st0: Input/output error
tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Broken pipe
--------------------

tar (grandchild): Read error on /dev/st0: Input/output error
tar (grandchild): At beginning of tape, quitting now
tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
========================

So does anyone have any ideas?  I saw other posts reflecting Input/output
errors but did not see answers that would help me.  Any suggestions
appreciated.  Thanks for you time.

--
Colin*
On Call Internet Services

Post by -ljl » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> But when I try to tar anything onto the tape, I get an error.  Also,
> similar errors when I try to read from the tape etc...:
> =======================

A guess, try "tar cvzf /dev/st0" boot.  I think parameter order may
be important, i.e. file-name, or device follows 'f'.

Let us know if this helped.
--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. HELP: Python SCSI Backup Tape... Problems

[...]

Colin Dick
On Call Internet Services

2. how to take 1st word in string

3. Tape backup Python SCSI question

4. syslog problem with new 2.2.2 kernel

5. mt problem with Python SCSI tape drive

6. Linux and Micron P90PCI

7. Python 4mm tape back-ups

8. Slcakware or Debian?

9. Archive Python 28388 tape backup in Solaris Sparc

10. tape backups, scsi tape drive?

11. Tape Backup under Suse 6.0 with a SCSI Tape

12. Archive Python SCSI-2 tape support in Slackware?

13. Help: SCSI tape backup with Tandberg TDC 3600