Release of Sun(tm)'s Java(tm) Development Kit Beta 1.0 for Linux

Post by Robert William » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I am proud to annonce that the Linux port of Sun Microsystems (tm) 's
> Java(tm) Development Kit 1.0 Beta is available for ELF-based linux'
> systems.

I obtained the required files and have most things working
except:

The .java_wrapper script does not execute properly on
my RedHat Linux bash.  The line:

PRG=`which $0` >/dev/null 2>&1

does not execute the "which $0" command correctly.
An "echo $PRG" inserted after this line yields the
following upon execution of any of the symbolic links
to this file (./javac temp):

which: no ./javac in (/usr/local/bin:...etc...:/usr/local/java/bin)

Then:

dirname: too many arguments

So...it looks like a problem with bash to me.  Any similar
experiences or helpful comments?
--

Post by Mike Rombe » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

     > I obtained the required files and have most things working
     > except:

     > The .java_wrapper script does not execute properly on my RedHat
     > Linux bash.  The line:

     > PRG=`which $0` >/dev/null 2>&1

     > does not execute the "which $0" command correctly.  An "echo
     > $PRG" inserted after this line yields the following upon
     > execution of any of the symbolic links to this file (./javac
     > temp):

     > which: no ./javac in
     > (/usr/local/bin:...etc...:/usr/local/java/bin)

     > Then:

     > dirname: too many arguments

     > So...it looks like a problem with bash to me.  Any similar
     > experiences or helpful comments?  -- from Bob Williams,

  I had this same problem.  It is not related to bash.  Bash does not have
a builtin 'which'.  It seems that /usr/bin/which is broken when it is
executed like this :  'which /usr/bin/which'.  In your case it breaks when
invoked as 'which /usr/local/java/bin/javac'.  I found the source code to
which and have fixed it so that it behaves like the builtin in tcsh
(ie 'which /usr/bin/which' yields /usr/bin/which).  This fixed the java
problems I (and apparently you) had.  If you would like a copy of this
modified which send me email and I'll send it to ya.

1. Sun Net Talk: Secure and Affordable, Sun's Java[tm] Desktop System in Action.

Register now:  www.sun.com/nettalk/java_desktop?ssobm=ng
Tuesday, February 3, 2004 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern.

Sun executives Jonathan Schwartz, Executive Vice
President, Software Group, and Curtis Sasaki, Vice President
of Engineering, Desktop Solutions will discuss how the Java
Desktop System's combination of open source and open
standards can lower costs, reduce complexity, increase
productivity and eliminate virus attacks.  Following the Net
Talk, there will be a live, online discussion with a panel
of business and technology experts to answers questions.

To Register:  www.sun.com/nettalk/java_desktop?ssobm=ng
Tuesday, February 3, 2004 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern.

2. pkgadd: Can pkgadd create non-root-owned symbolic links?

3. Sun's choice: Linux or Microsoft (was Re: Linux-Any Java development kits or books?

4. How to force a window to always stay on top?

5. AppleTalk(tm) for Linux(tm?)

6. HALP, Please!! Samba Problem

7. Announcing the Release of XFree86[TM] Beta Version 3.1.2D [repost]

8. where is checker

9. Announcing the Release of XFree86[TM] Beta Version 3.1.2B

10. Web Chat: Solstice(TM) Enterprise Manager(TM) 2.1

11. Insight(TM) -vs- Purify(TM)

12. OpenSource(tm)?... How about "OpenSpec(tm)"?

13. : Final Beta (v0.9.2) for Linux PCthreads (tm)