DR-DOS7 (NetWare) --> Linux IPX - HELP!

Post by Jeremy Schaeffe » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi!
  I am trying to get a DOS box running DR-DOS 7.02 with Personal Netware
( 3.03 I think) connected to my Linux box. I want the Linux box to be a
file/print/PPP(gateway) server. I have DOS and netware on the Linux box
and could get the two talking when I boot to DOS on both of them. I
downloaded MARS and set that up according to the directions, but nothing
works. the nwserv loads with the error "NETWORK IS DOWN". I have the two
connected by a "null" RJ45 cable (as I stated earlier, it works fine
when both computers are running Personal Netware) I am running 3.0.32
with IPX enabled. The other machine does not seem to find the Linux box.
If anyone has done this before, or has any suggestions, please let me
know. I have not used netware that much and not sure if it is setup
correctly. Thanks!!

Jeremy

DR-DOS7 (NetWare) --> Linux IPX - HELP!

Post by Dieter Rohlfi » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 03 May 1998 21:17:09 -0500, Jeremy Schaeffer

>Hi!
>  I am trying to get a DOS box running DR-DOS 7.02 with Personal Netware
>( 3.03 I think) connected to my Linux box. I want the Linux box to be a
>file/print/PPP(gateway) server. I have DOS and netware on the Linux box
>and could get the two talking when I boot to DOS on both of them. I
>downloaded MARS and set that up according to the directions, but nothing
>works. the nwserv loads with the error "NETWORK IS DOWN". I have the two
>connected by a "null" RJ45 cable (as I stated earlier, it works fine
>when both computers are running Personal Netware) I am running 3.0.32
>with IPX enabled. The other machine does not seem to find the Linux box.
>If anyone has done this before, or has any suggestions, please let me
>know.

You didn't provide any information about your configuration (DOS/Netware
and Linux). So I can't do nothing more than guessing.

- does Linux recognize your network card ?
- how looks your net.cfg in DOS ?
- how looks your nwserv.conf in Linux ?

Provide information, so the community can provide help.

Have a nice day.

Dieter Rohlfing

1. Need help on Starcraft via ISDN->Linux Router->IPX-Routing->Win98

You're gonna need to use CHAP to send/recv the user/pass to/from the
other people.  Read the PPP howto for info on how to configure the
"options" and "chap-secrets" files to get this going.  Then, you'll need
to make sure you have IPX support in the kernel.  Lastly, you'll need to
find a program which will route the packets between everyone.  The
problem is that Starcraft seems to send "broadcast" packets over a PPP
(dialup) link.  This means that linux doesn't route them.  I've tried
setting
up this sort of thing VIA the inet with VPN (having everyone connect to
my linux box), and I wound up trying to write my own program (based on
a program called "ipxbridge") which would listen for broadcasts on every
PPP link, and then send them to every other PPP.  I had it working with 2
people, but more than that seems to mess up.  I'd be glad to hear what you
can find and do, so please post and/or email with updates.

Natman

2. Solaris Device Driver *HELP*

3. alpha linux --> ipx (NetWare)

4. New SuSE 8.2 announced!

5. Win95/IPX -> IP ->PPP ->Linux ->Novell 3.12

6. Opinions on DDS1 drives ?

7. NetWare LAN -> Linux -> Internet?

8. how to generate 001 002 003 004 in ksh?

9. Linux -> Netware -> Internet

10. NetWare LAN --> Linux --> Internet

11. Netware<-->Linux<-->Internet connection question

12. Linux->DosEmu->Netware: Multiuser?