Offline News Reader

Post by Donald Stidwel » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Linux using Caldera's OpenLinux and LG desktop.
Ecstatically happy with the setup and glad to be finally running Linux
on a production machine!

Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like WinVN
or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
capability (and it's dog slow).  Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which
is supposed to have this ability, but I can't find it even though the
online help says it's there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Offline News Reader

Post by Mike Brist » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like WinVN
> or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
> capability (and it's dog slow).  Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which
> is supposed to have this ability, but I can't find it even though the
> online help says it's there.

The easiest way to do this is to install and setup leafnode.  It's
a NNTP server that's designed to do this kind of thing, and effectivly
turns all NNTP news reasders (Netscape is a bad choice for this, BTW)
into offline news readers.

http://www.troll.no, if I recall right.

There's probably an RPM on redhat's site, somewhere.

--

NOC FL Administrator                             Demon Internet Ltd
Sales: +44 (0)181-371 1234             Support: +44 (0)181-371 1010

Offline News Reader

Post by Jonathan I. Kame » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

|> Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like WinVN
|> or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
|> capability

Someone else has already addressed this by pointing out that the
easiest way to do Offline News reading in Linux is to make your machine
into an NNTP server, which will then allow you to use any News reader.

|> (and it's dog slow).

If XRN is slow for you, then either (a) using an old version of XRN or
(b) you've got it configured wrong.  If, for example, you are using XRN
over a SLIP connection, you absolutely have to change the default
configuration to make it behave well.

Incidentally, the current beta release of XRN will (I hope) become the
next production release some time in the next month.  It has many new
features, including article threading.  See
<http://www.mit.edu/people/jik/software/xrn.html>.

Offline News Reader

Post by Brett W. McC » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm a newbie to Linux using Caldera's OpenLinux and LG desktop.
>Ecstatically happy with the setup and glad to be finally running Linux
>on a production machine!

Good for you!

Quote:>Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like WinVN
>or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
>capability (and it's dog slow).  Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which
>is supposed to have this ability, but I can't find it even though the
>online help says it's there.

In other words, something that downloads mail to the local queue.  Look for
slurp (the news equivalent of popclient of fetchmail).  It slurps news from
a news host, and you can then read it with a news reader (I like slrn, but
there are others).

Brett W. McCoy
                         http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/1038
"The Number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

Offline News Reader

Post by Robin S. Soch » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> Donald Stidwell writes:
> Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like
> WinVN or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
> capability (and it's dog slow).

Actually, since you're using Linux, you don't want an offline newsreader
but a newsserver - this isn't MS-country, you know... one law for them
and another law for us. If you have a stand-alone system, you might want
to try leafnode from <http://www.troll.no>:

       Leafnode  is  a  USENET  package intended for small sites,
       where there are few users and little disk space, but where
       a large number of groups is desired.
       The  design  of  leafnode is intended to self-repair after
       problems, and to require no manual maintenance.
       The leafnode program itself is the NNTP server.  It is run
       from /etc/inetd.conf when someone wants to read news.  The
       other parts of the package, fetch and texpire, are respon-
       sible  for  fetching new news from another server, and for
       deleting old news.

There are other options like the ubiquitous inn, but leafnode should
be fine.

Quote:> Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which is supposed to have this
> ability, but I can't find it even though the online help says it's
> there. Any suggestions?

Sure. Trash netscape. If you *really* want offline capability, try
either x-agent or Quassia Gnus <http://www.gnus.org>.
<blink>Warning</blink> qgnus is alpha software.

However, Gnus is *the* best mail and newsreader there is for Linux. It's
slow, and XEmacs is a memory hog, but I can do just about everything you
could wish for except IMAP: inline MIME, PGP, supercite, threading,
scoring, washing... Did I say that I like Gnus?

Cheers,
Robin

--
Robin S. Socha M.A. (*PLONK*ed by Jost Boekemeier)
Political Science Dept., Bonn University

Offline News Reader

Post by Michael Perr » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
> Subject: Offline News Reader
> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:48:15 -0500

> Hi all,

> I'm a newbie to Linux using Caldera's OpenLinux and LG desktop.
> Ecstatically happy with the setup and glad to be finally running Linux
> on a production machine!

> Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like WinVN
> or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
> capability (and it's dog slow).  Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which
> is supposed to have this ability, but I can't find it even though the
> online help says it's there.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks in advance.

> Don

Hi-

I know you got quite a number of good articles about various alternatives to
read news offline.  I would like to suggest that you check out a program
called News Peruser.  This program provides offline upload, download,
mail fetch and receive, etc.  It runs as a number of either command line
components one could use on a routine basis or as part of GUI portion of
the program.  I routinely grab a number of headers from a few groups, go
offline and compose answers or email, queue them up, and then return
online to send them. You can automate the whole process also and have
your system do the work instead if you wish.

You can search on www.yahoo.com or altavista for the web page that you
can get an idea from about the program's abilities.

I also use slrn but have found that News Peruser provides a nice
interface that is rather fun to learn.

--Michael Perry--

Offline News Reader

Post by nomadi » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I'm a newbie to Linux using Caldera's OpenLinux and LG desktop.
> Ecstatically happy with the setup and glad to be finally running Linux
> on a production machine!

> Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like WinVN
> or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
> capability (and it's dog slow).  Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which
> is supposed to have this ability, but I can't find it even though the
> online help says it's there.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks in advance.

> Don

try Skim or Xagent..

Greetz,

Joop
--
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Joop Bollen.    Nuts & Bolts Department.   Nomadis Systems, Holland |

| PGP Fingerprint    F3 AB 1C A2 AE BE 52 3B  16 90 4A ED AB DA 63 B3 |
| PGP Key On A Friendly PGP_Key_Server In Your Neighbourhood.         |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

Offline News Reader

Post by rudy.vaneeckhou » Fri, 26 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>  .....  .   Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which
>  is supposed to have this ability, but I can't find it even though the
>  online help says it's there.

To use ofline reading in comunicator 4.04 do next things .

   - Select your prefered newsgroup and select the headers you are
intrested in .
   - Use            file message -> Some Mail folder .
   - Disconnect .
   - Read your mail (usenet) folder , mails .
   - Write your mails or reply's and use File -> Send Later ( That is
what i am doing now ) .

   - Next time you connect you can Use file -> Send Unsent Messages .
And your messages are send .

  To do this you only have to use a few clicks instead of twisting your
fingers around like a monkey to
   type some obscure commands as you have to do in some other linux news
readers .
--

  Greetings
      Rudy Van Eeckhout

Offline News Reader

Post by Owen Lloy » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I'm a newbie to Linux using Caldera's OpenLinux and LG desktop.
> Ecstatically happy with the setup and glad to be finally running Linux
> on a production machine!

> Curious to know if there is a offline news reader for Linux like WinVN
> or Newsbot for Linux.  Tried XRN, but it has no offline reading
> capability (and it's dog slow).  Using Netscape Communicator 4.04 which
> is supposed to have this ability, but I can't find it even though the
> online help says it's there.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks in advance.

> Don

Why not just install your own news server?  I use leafnode: a news
server designed for this job as it only populates newsgroups you
actually look at.  Set up some cron entries to dial up and run the fetch
command (part of leafnode) at intervals - Mine updates 3 times per day.
Leafnode will expire messages and post your replies.

Then you simply point all your news browsers - such as netscape at
"localhost" (which should be defined as 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts).

Even better - if you have other machines running Windup9to5 on your
local net - they can then use your machine as their news server also -
and read news without a connection to your ISP being up.

Owen
I saw a book the other day entitled:-
        "MS Windows for Dummies"
I'll go along with that....