Matrox Millenium 2

Post by Patrick Wra » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Do the newer commercial distributions of Linux carry a version of XFree86
which supports the new Matrox Millenium II with 4MB WRAM?

How about any commercial X servers like MetroX?

Don't want to download XFree86 from the net if it's avoidable. Rather get
a complete distribution on CD ROM. Any suggestions?

Please send a copy of your reply by Email.

Thanks.

Matrox Millenium 2

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Do the newer commercial distributions of Linux carry a version of XFree86
> which supports the new Matrox Millenium II with 4MB WRAM?

> How about any commercial X servers like MetroX?

> Don't want to download XFree86 from the net if it's avoidable. Rather get
> a complete distribution on CD ROM. Any suggestions?

AFAIK, the major packages still ship with 3.3 or older, though Debian
changes so rapidly that you may be able to find it on CD with 3.3.1.  Red
Hat 4.2 comes with 3.2 or 3.3 (I don't recall which), but the latest beta
versions come with 3.3.1 -- but AFAIK, the betas aren't available on CD.

Downloading XFree86 3.3.1 from the net really isn't all that painful, and
if you use a distribution with a decent package manager (e.g., Red Hat or
Debian or something based on their systems), installation should be easy.

(Oh, yeah, 3.3.1 is what you need to support the Millennium II.  It's
still officially alpha-level work, but the problems are reported to be
mostly minor at this point.  If you need real stability, try to find an
older Millennium (I) board instead.  I don't know if the latest Metro-X
supports the Millennium II, but support is reportedly at beta-level with
Accelerated-X.  Both of these are commercial products, though Metro-X
comes with some "official" Red Hat CDs and with InfoMagic's 6-CD set.)

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the capitalized word from my address to mail me

Matrox Millenium 2

Post by Jeffrey Bolde » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Do the newer commercial distributions of Linux carry a version of XFree86
> which supports the new Matrox Millenium II with 4MB WRAM?

> How about any commercial X servers like MetroX?

> Don't want to download XFree86 from the net if it's avoidable. Rather get
> a complete distribution on CD ROM. Any suggestions?

> Please send a copy of your reply by Email.

RH 4.2 does not support it, slackware 3.3 does, Debian 1.3.1 does.  You
could also just download the X 3.3.1

Matrox Millenium 2

Post by gippa » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Do the newer commercial distributions of Linux carry a version of XFree86
> which supports the new Matrox Millenium II with 4MB WRAM?

> How about any commercial X servers like MetroX?

> Don't want to download XFree86 from the net if it's avoidable. Rather get
> a complete distribution on CD ROM. Any suggestions?

So far only the latest version of xfree86 supports this card.  However,
it is the fastest card that will work with xfree86 so you dont have to
worry about speed.

go to http://matrox.alloy.net/ for instructions on setting the card up,
and learning which parts of the xfree86 3.3.1 server you'll need.