If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell?

If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell?

Post by Bradley J. Bartra » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?

I realize the implications of this but unfortunately the person who needs
this needs to do some tasks on the linux box but is not command prompt
savvy.  (what's the world coming to?)

Thanks

Brad

Post by John Gluc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
> can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?

> I realize the implications of this but unfortunately the person who needs
> this needs to do some tasks on the linux box but is not command prompt
> savvy.  (what's the world coming to?)

> Thanks

> Brad

I used to run Exceed by Hummingbird software.
There are also other solutions available but I haven't tried them.

--
John Gluck  (Passport Kernel Design Group)

(613) 765-8392  ESN 395-8392

Unless otherwise stated, any opinions expressed here are strictly my own
and do not reflect any official position of Nortel Networks.

If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell?

Post by Troutm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
>can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?

>I realize the implications of this but unfortunately the person who needs
>this needs to do some tasks on the linux box but is not command prompt
>savvy.  (what's the world coming to?)

Go d/l VNC.  A quick websearch will find it for you.  Awesome product.  ANd
free.

    Mike Troutman
         http://www.troutman.org

Post by Patrick M Geaha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
> can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?

Well, if the Linux and Win98 box are on the same subnet OR both are
IP-addressable over an external network, then it's pretty easy.

Windows box runs an X server of some sort.  I use Microimages
X-server(mix), but that's a little ugly.  If oyu need prettier stuff, it's
out there.  After the Windows box starts it up, on the linux box, you run:

"xterm -display $WINDOWS_BOX_NAME:0 &"

Now, you can replace "xterm" with any program that will respond to a
redirected display.  $WINDOWS_BOX_NAME can be replaced by an IP address,
if that's easier.  the :0 part tells it to use Xterminal 0.

If the windows box is behind a firewall, port forwarding MAY be possible.
On my ipchains firewall, there's a program I can run that will redirect
connections to "$Server:x" to another machine on the internal network.

Of course, none of the above deals with security.  You can xforward with
ssh and I believe ssl, if you're worried about security.

--

Quote of the Week: "I can't believe I barfed in Harrison Ford's
helicopter" - hiker rescued by actor Harrison Ford in Wyoming.

If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell?

Post by Valentin Guille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Try these for good sources and advice.

The X org at:
http://www.x.org/resources.htm

Kenton Lee's X site at:
http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.framed.html

and specifically here:
http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html#XMicrosoft

when looking for X clients for DOS/Windows

I use freeware bundled with SuSE, called MIX.  Runs under windows, and
some later SuSE bundles also include Hummingbird's Exceed (eval version)
for Win9x/NT.  You'll find links to all you need!

Regards,
vg

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. 1.2.6a upgrade from 1.2.5 - how?

3. Can't telnet to my machine

5. kernel BUG at page_alloc.c:92! & page allocation failure. order:0, mode:0x0

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Tftp timeout with 2.2.1 kernel (however not with 2.0.36)

11. I am si**y am I?

12. help me i am in hell...