innd cant bind

Post by wh » Wed, 22 Mar 1995 06:56:59

Subject: innd cant bind
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
Pardon the multiple posts. Not only have the newsgroups rearranged but I
also had problems on my provider.

Problem at hand:

After upgrading kernel 1.1.74 to 1.1.94, I get the following message

Mar 19 22:53:55 dogmeat inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already in use

I upgraded to kernel 1.2.0, same message. I moved back to 1.1.74, no
errors and INN runs well. As a last resort I recompiled inn1.4 under my
new kernel and I still get the above error.

Any thoughts? Is it possible I left somehting out of my kernel config to
make this occur?

p.s. in addition I am also seeing similar messages when mail launches
smtpd.  These problems go away with the earlier kernel.

--

Bill Plein

innd cant bind

Post by Christophe DEMO » Wed, 22 Mar 1995 16:20:41

: Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
: Pardon the multiple posts. Not only have the newsgroups rearranged but I
: also had problems on my provider.

: Problem at hand:

: After upgrading kernel 1.1.74 to 1.1.94, I get the following message

: Mar 19 22:53:55 dogmeat inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already in use

I exactly had the same problem and a friend of mine found the solution.
I dunno why but there was 2 entries for innd in the /etc/services,
delete one, and everything should be ok. Maybe it's a bug in the
slackware distribution, and b4 1.1.94 there wasn't anything checked.
So thx to you M.Cerdini aka Djoe (the famous friend).

    Christophe DEMONT          | Assistance, Ingenierie en Reseaux et

 BBS Zenux   78 36 10 01   VFAST
 Zenith RTC  78 36 19 96   V23 Minitel    BAL: Archi

innd cant bind

Post by Jonathan Kame » Thu, 23 Mar 1995 23:06:08

|> I exactly had the same problem and a friend of mine found the solution.
|> I dunno why but there was 2 entries for innd in the /etc/services,
|> delete one, and everything should be ok. Maybe it's a bug in the
|> slackware distribution, and b4 1.1.94 there wasn't anything checked.
|> So thx to you M.Cerdini aka Djoe (the famous friend).

You're confused.

First of all, there aren't *any* entries for "innd" in /etc/services.  If
anything, there are entries for "nntp", the port that innd uses.

Second, the file you're talking about is almost certainly /etc/inetd.conf, not
/etc/services.

Third, the problem isn't two entries in /etc/inetd.conf, the problem is an
entry for in.nntpd in /etc/inetd.conf, coupled with an attempt to start inn in
stand-alone mode.  The correct fix, which has been posted over and over again
since the problem was first reported, is to comment out the nntp line in
/etc/inetd.conf (and the smtp line, if you're having a similar problem with
sendmail) and then rerun inndstart (and/or sendmail) or just reboot.

1. innd cant bind

Somewhere between kernel 1.1.74 and 1.1.94 I ran into a snag with INN.

I get the following message in /var/adm/syslog:

Just to make sure, I reinstalled 1.1.74 kernel and the problem went
away.  This evening I loaded the 1.2.0 kernel, same problem. Then I ftp'd
inn-1.4sec, compiled and tried to start it, same problem.

Any ideas?
--

Bill Plein

2. Motif port and mounting HPFS?

3. innd: ME cant bind RCreader Address already in use

4. vim rpm

5. Why does innd say ME cant bind RCreader Address already in use?

6. Where is The Linux Bootkit?

7. innd: cant read Resource temporarily unavailable (SunOS5.4)

8. iBCS broken with 1.1.81

9. INND: SERVER cant dbzinit!

10. INND: cant dbminit ME Math argument out of domain of func

11. innd doesn't start because can't bind "RCreader"

12. inndstart fails..cant bind

13. Error using bind:Cant assign requested address