K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Bernhard Layer-Rei » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile Version for notebook/linux ?

A few taiwain oem notebook producers are offering rather inexpensive notebooks
using a 300Mhz K6. Does anyone have experiences with a 300Mhz K6 notebook? Are
they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A dealer
told me that he had several K6 notebook running about 3h , then they are crashed
due to heat problems. How much power does a K6, K6-2, mobile K6, or if
existent a mobile K6-2 consume compared to a 200Mhz Pentium, 233/266
mobile Pentium or the 233/266 Pentium II used in notebooks ? Are there any
drawbacks using a K6 300Mhz running linux on a notebook ? Are there any
Super-7 (100MHZ bus speed) notebooks on the market ?

Greetings

Bernhard

--
Please post and answer via email. Thanks !

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Gregory Lebla » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I don't know about heat problems, but the K6 233 and 266 were faster
than the P-MMX versions.  Almost as fast as the P-II of the same
speed.  The AMD chips did have a much shorter battery life.  The big
PC magazines have reviews of notebooks, you might look at those just
for a reference.
        Greg.

On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 20:45:11 +0100,

>K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile Version for notebook/linux ?

>A few taiwain oem notebook producers are offering rather inexpensive notebooks
>using a 300Mhz K6. Does anyone have experiences with a 300Mhz K6 notebook? Are
>they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A dealer
>told me that he had several K6 notebook running about 3h , then they are crashed
>due to heat problems. How much power does a K6, K6-2, mobile K6, or if
>existent a mobile K6-2 consume compared to a 200Mhz Pentium, 233/266
>mobile Pentium or the 233/266 Pentium II used in notebooks ? Are there any
>drawbacks using a K6 300Mhz running linux on a notebook ? Are there any
>Super-7 (100MHZ bus speed) notebooks on the market ?

>Greetings

>Bernhard

>--
>Please post and answer via email. Thanks !

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Charlie Zit » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Are
> they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A deal

The two companies advertising K6-2 books that I have talked to, Jetta
and UMAX, both say they are using a lower voltage chip and shouldn't
have heat problems.  I am still trying to get some feedback regarding
both companies, particularly Jetta.  Anyone know about either one?

Charlie Zito
Gold Coast Internet Services
http://www.goldcst.com

Post by P. Pete Chon » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I don't know about heat problems, but the K6 233 and 266 were faster
> than the P-MMX versions.  Almost as fast as the P-II of the same
> speed.  The AMD chips did have a much shorter battery life.  The big
> PC magazines have reviews of notebooks, you might look at those just
> for a reference.

Hmm... According to MicroExpress, their K6-2 300MHz has average battery
life of 2-3 hours.  I thought this is about average for laptops of this
class.

Pete
---
http://www.eskimo.com/~chongls
http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~chong

You may have any color of Model-T you like, as long as it is black.
You may have any OS you like, as long as it is MS product.

Post by Bob Nix » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I don't know about heat problems, but the K6 233 and 266 were faster
>than the P-MMX versions.  Almost as fast as the P-II of the same
>speed.  The AMD chips did have a much shorter battery life.  The big
>PC magazines have reviews of notebooks, you might look at those just
>for a reference.
>    Greg.

>On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 20:45:11 +0100,

>>K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile Version for notebook/linux ?

>>A few taiwain oem notebook producers are offering rather inexpensive notebooks
>>using a 300Mhz K6. Does anyone have experiences with a 300Mhz K6 notebook? Are
>>they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A dealer
>>told me that he had several K6 notebook running about 3h , then they are crashed
>>due to heat problems. How much power does a K6, K6-2, mobile K6, or if
>>existent a mobile K6-2 consume compared to a 200Mhz Pentium, 233/266
>>mobile Pentium or the 233/266 Pentium II used in notebooks ? Are there any
>>drawbacks using a K6 300Mhz running linux on a notebook ? Are there any
>>Super-7 (100MHZ bus speed) notebooks on the market ?

K6-2 is a 2.2V core, chip. I believe the K6 233 is a 3.5Vcore. At any
rate, it's probably more frugal on DC current than a PII at any clock
speed.

Quote:>>Greetings

http://members.home.net/bigrex/

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Gregory Lebla » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure about that.  The P-II notebooks were running almost as
long as the P-MMX.  And I've heard that my K6-2 runs hot.  I don't
know how to check though, other than by opening up the case.  And NT
idles the processor, so I'd have to run a crappier OS (98?) to really
test that way.  Is there a better way to check on the proc temp?
        Greg.

>>I don't know about heat problems, but the K6 233 and 266 were faster
>>than the P-MMX versions.  Almost as fast as the P-II of the same
>>speed.  The AMD chips did have a much shorter battery life.  The big
>>PC magazines have reviews of notebooks, you might look at those just
>>for a reference.
>>        Greg.

>>On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 20:45:11 +0100,

>>>K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile Version for notebook/linux ?

>>>A few taiwain oem notebook producers are offering rather inexpensive notebooks
>>>using a 300Mhz K6. Does anyone have experiences with a 300Mhz K6 notebook? Are
>>>they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A dealer
>>>told me that he had several K6 notebook running about 3h , then they are crashed
>>>due to heat problems. How much power does a K6, K6-2, mobile K6, or if
>>>existent a mobile K6-2 consume compared to a 200Mhz Pentium, 233/266
>>>mobile Pentium or the 233/266 Pentium II used in notebooks ? Are there any
>>>drawbacks using a K6 300Mhz running linux on a notebook ? Are there any
>>>Super-7 (100MHZ bus speed) notebooks on the market ?

>K6-2 is a 2.2V core, chip. I believe the K6 233 is a 3.5Vcore. At any
>rate, it's probably more frugal on DC current than a PII at any clock
>speed.

>>>Greetings

>>>Bernhard

>>>--
>>>Please post and answer via email. Thanks !

>http://members.home.net/bigrex/

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Spree » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> A few taiwain oem notebook producers are offering rather inexpensive notebooks
> using a 300Mhz K6. Does anyone have experiences with a 300Mhz K6 notebook? Are
> they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A dealer

To remind you, Compaq has a notebook using K6 233MHz, I believe
that it's a 2.2V core 233MHz......

--
Spree                < Remove "nospam#" for email >

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Spree » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> K6-2 is a 2.2V core, chip. I believe the K6 233 is a 3.5Vcore. At any

The original K6 233MHz use 3.2V/3.3V voltages.

Quote:> rate, it's probably more frugal on DC current than a PII at any clock

Besides, Compaq has a notebook using K6 233MHz, I believe that
it's a low-voltage version of 233MHz(like 266/300MHz)...

--
Spree                < Remove "nospam#" for email >

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Gregory Lebla » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Well, UMAX makes good scanners...  I think that they may end up like
WD.  Trying all kinds of different products, but then stopping after
just a couple of years, maybe after just one or two.  :-(
        Greg.

Quote:>> Are
>> they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A deal

>The two companies advertising K6-2 books that I have talked to, Jetta
>and UMAX, both say they are using a lower voltage chip and shouldn't
>have heat problems.  I am still trying to get some feedback regarding
>both companies, particularly Jetta.  Anyone know about either one?

>Charlie Zito
>Gold Coast Internet Services
>http://www.goldcst.com

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Spree » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Well, UMAX makes good scanners...  I think that they may end up like
> WD.  Trying all kinds of different products, but then stopping after
> just a couple of years, maybe after just one or two.  :-(

Umax makes Mac clones too... :-)

--
Spree                < Remove "nospam#" for email >

K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile version for notebook/linux ?

Post by Christopher J Colli » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> K6 300,K6-2 300, mobile Version for notebook/linux ?

> A few taiwain oem notebook producers are offering rather inexpensive notebooks
> using a 300Mhz K6. Does anyone have experiences with a 300Mhz K6 notebook? Are
> they using a mobile version of the K6 ? How stable are these notebooks. A dealer
> told me that he had several K6 notebook running about 3h , then they are crashed
> due to heat problems. How much power does a K6, K6-2, mobile K6, or if
> existent a mobile K6-2 consume compared to a 200Mhz Pentium, 233/266
> mobile Pentium or the 233/266 Pentium II used in notebooks ? Are there any
> drawbacks using a K6 300Mhz running linux on a notebook ? Are there any
> Super-7 (100MHZ bus speed) notebooks on the market ?

> Greetings

> Bernhard

Bernhard,

        If the laptop has any sort of reasonable CPU fan, I wouldn't think
that the heat coming from the CPU should be a big problem. Unlike an AMD
k6-233 which operates at 3.2v, the internal voltage of an AMD k6-300 is
only 2.2v. With the drop in voltage, should come a drop in heat
generation even with the higher clock speed, and an extension in battery
life. Just depends on whether the motherboard supports it correctly.

        Also the k6 runs on the 66MHz bus, whereas the k6-2/300 uses the
100MHz bus.

Regards,

Chris

Post by P. Pete Chon » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>    If the laptop has any sort of reasonable CPU fan, I wouldn't think
> that the heat coming from the CPU should be a big problem. Unlike an AMD
> k6-233 which operates at 3.2v, the internal voltage of an AMD k6-300 is
> only 2.2v. With the drop in voltage, should come a drop in heat
> generation even with the higher clock speed, and an extension in battery
> life. Just depends on whether the motherboard supports it correctly.

Is this K6-300 K6-2 300?

Quote:

>    Also the k6 runs on the 66MHz bus, whereas the k6-2/300 uses the
> 100MHz bus.

At the same time, not all K6-2 300 (or 266) are mounted on motherboards
taht support 100MHz bus, which means the potential may not be realized.
(Come to think about it, I forgot to ask about the motherboard when I
ordered mine :-).

Pete
---