Start-up disk !

Post by mina » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello !
Which commands creates a start-up disk in RedHat 6.1 ?

Thank you !

Start-up disk !

Post by Leonard Even » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hello !
> Which commands creates a start-up disk in RedHat 6.1 ?

> Thank you !

I'm not sure what you mean by a startup disk.  Under Windows,
a startup disk allows you to boot a floppy based version of
a very restricted version of Windows, really just an up to
date DOS.   It allows you to do a few basic repair operations
if you can't boot Windows from the hard disk.

Under RedHat 6.1, you can create a boot floppy by using the
mkbootdisk command.   See the man page for details, but
the command would take the form
mkbootdisk 2.2.12-20
if the kernel in /boot has the numerical extension 2.2.12-20.
If it has a different extension, use that.
The boot floppy lets you boot the full version of Linux you
have on your system.  For example, it can be used to fix
problems associated with lilo configuration.   When using this
boot floppy, you may find you have to wait an extremely long
time to boot.  Give it at least 20 minutes before concluding
it doesn't work.

The boot floppy also allows you to boot in rescue mode, but
you need a separate rescue floppy not available in RedHat 6.1.
The RH6.0 rescue image does work and you may be able to find
it somewhere.   Also, in principle you can use the original
installation media to boot in rescue mode by entering
linux rescue
at the boot: prompt when using that media (installation floppy
and/or CD).  But this system is extremely limited and only
real Linux experts would be able to use it successfully.

There is a very good rescue system provided at
www.toms.net/rb/home.html

Rescue systems allow you to boot a freestanding version of
Linux in a ramdisk which is independent of what is on your
disk.  If you know what you are doing you can repair many
problems.

Start-up disk !

Post by Richard M. Denne » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hello !
> Which commands creates a start-up disk in RedHat 6.1 ?

> Thank you !

Should be:

mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.2.12

where "fd0" is your first floppy and "2.2.12" is your kernel version.
You have to be root to do this.

Look for information on mkbootdisk with

man mkbootdisk.

Rick Denney

Start-up disk !

Post by Bruce Blac » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello !
> > Which commands creates a start-up disk in RedHat 6.1 ?

> > Thank you !

> Should be:

> mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.2.12

> where "fd0" is your first floppy and "2.2.12" is your kernel version.
> You have to be root to do this.

> Look for information on mkbootdisk with

> man mkbootdisk.

> Rick Denney

Rick, you post to way too many newsgroups!  Hope to see you at Bonzai's
soon.
Bruce Black