Booting Linux off the primary hdd, win95 off the secondary using LILO

Booting Linux off the primary hdd, win95 off the secondary using LILO

Post by Tom For » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I used to boot Linux and Win95 (when I had to) off the same drive.
However, I never thought this was very clean, so when I eventually got
two drives I installed Linux with LILO on one and Win95 on the other.

I'd now like to boot Win95 or Linux but unfortunately I can't convince
lilo to let me.

Linux is in /dev/hda1, Win95 in /dev/hdc1

I've fiddled with table= etc. to no avail.

I would appreciate any help you could offer :)

Flend

Post by Steve Limkeman » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I'd now like to boot Win95 or Linux but unfortunately I can't convince
> lilo to let me.
> Linux is in /dev/hda1, Win95 in /dev/hdc1

See http://www.wwnet.com/~stevelim/booting.html for help in getting
LILO to work for you.  Assuming that you don't have a /dev/hdb disk
(or that it is a CD-ROM drive), you will need to use the map-drive
directive to swap 0x80 and 0x81.

--
 Steve Limkemann      ::  A microsecond here and a microsecond there, and
 Westland, Michigan   ::  before you know it, you're talking real-time.

Booting Linux off the primary hdd, win95 off the secondary using LILO

Post by Remk » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

This comes straight out of "Running Linux" from Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman.
It's a 'got to have': (What I don't understand is why your 2nd drive isn't
dev hdb)

edit: /etc/lilo.conf (or /boot/lilo.conf or etc/lilo/config)

boot = /dev/hda
compact
install = /boot/boot.b
map = /boot/map

# This is to boot linux from /dev/hda.
image = /boot/vmlinuz        # Location of the kernel
    label = Linux                    # Name for the LILO boot menu
    root = /dev/hda1             # Location of root partition
    vga = normal

# This is to boot Win95 from /dev/hdc.
other = /dev/hdc1               # Location of partition
    table = /dev/hdc             # Lacation of partition table
    label = Win95                 # Name for LILO boot menu
    loader = /boot/any_d.b  # To boot from second drive

then run: /sbin/lilo -v
now you're ready to reboot. (I figure you know about holding Shift or Ctrl
during boot and using tab to get the bootoptions).

Hope this helped :^)
Remko

1. lilo won't boot off /dev/sda but will off hda

I have a linux box (K6-2-350, 2940UW, PromisUltra33) 8 ide drives and a
scsi drive. It werks great booting off /dev/hda1 but no go off
/dev/sda1. I have scsi bios pointing to the right scsi ID for boot, bios
is configured to use scsi to boot. AHA bios says that my scsi drive is
"C: (80h)" which is good, i can format the scsi drive w/ MicroSloth and
it boots properly. When I install slakware 3.6 to the scsi drive, all
goes good, except that after i reboot BIOS says MIssing operating sys, i
boot off floppy and point it to "mount root=/dev/sda1" and it will boot
properly off scsi drive. I reinstall the lilo by hand, and it still does
the same thing (missing operating sys), i edit the lilo.conf and it has
"boot = /dev/hda" (the lilo.conf on /dev/sda) then the normal linux boot
section below that.That is the config that wont go. I edit it to say
"boot = /dev/sda" and then it will partly boot, coming up with only "LI"
and sitting there. Also note: MS fdisk only shows me 8 drives, it
truncates the onboard seccondary slave drive. I would guess this is MS
Ignorance but dunno, may be a software-interupt limitation (as in ASM
calls passing the hex drive that they wanna manupulate etc). Also, the
scsi bios loads before the PromisUltra33 bios, so the scsi drive comes
up as 84h (when i'm booting off IDE ofcorse) then the Promis33 loads its
stuff. Also, when booting of /dev/hda1 i can have access to all drives,
including scsi w/ zero problems).

What do u think?
Ideas?

Dave

2. Compiling Fresco

3. lilo/ntldr: booting 95 off 2nd hdd?

4. freebsd problem

5. Using lilo to boot off any drive ...

6. gzip with cnews, how i do

7. booting off secondary hard drive

8. Can I create a RAM disk on my Sun?

9. Booting off of Secondary SCSI Partitions from IDE drives

10. Configuring LILO to boot Win95 on additional SCSI drive, Primary is IDE?

11. Win95 GOTCHA!!! it'l wipe lilo off...

12. Multi-Boot : NT on Primary IDE and Linux on Secondary IDE

13. SMC Ultra not detected; LILO doesn't boot off SCSI.