News replies by e-mail (was: Someone to tell me how to recognize calling terminal)

News replies by e-mail (was: Someone to tell me how to recognize calling terminal)

Post by Henrik nospam Storne » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[good reasons for POSTING replies to news-posts instead of e-mailing snipped]

Quote:>I have to ask, does anyone else get pissed off when a
>person asks "how do I fix this, please e-mail the reply" and then 3
>lines down you see "remove xxxx from my address to reply by e-mail" To
>me this seems extremely a$$inine. Maybe it's just me, If I ask a
>question, I want to make it as easy as possible for the person who is
>going out of their way to help to get the response back.

A while ago, I would have agreed with this. However, after having been
subjected to the amount of spam mail that one gets from being a fairly
active poster to various news groups, I have changed my mind.

There are just too many spammers that you can filter them out automatically,
and sifting through 10-15 spam messages to pick out the one or two *real*
e-mails does get to be annoying. Besides, I pay real money for getting
my e-mail delivered.

So, this week-end I changed my news setup to use the "spamcan" address.

You can still reply to the address - you will just get an automatic reply
telling you how to get through to me. Since spammers usually ignore replies
or use invalid return adresses, I hope it will be a workable solution.

And it actually encourages what we agree on: That replies to news postings
should be *posted*, not e-mailed.

Please note: Followups redirected to comp.os.linux.misc.

--
Henrik Storner                           http://eolicom.olicom.dk/~storner/
"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which

News replies by e-mail (was: Someone to tell me how to recognize calling terminal)

Post by Spo » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

On 28 Jul 1997 23:00:47 +0200, Henrik nospam Storner

>[good reasons for POSTING replies to news-posts instead of e-mailing snipped]

>>I have to ask, does anyone else get pissed off when a
>>person asks "how do I fix this, please e-mail the reply" and then 3
>>lines down you see "remove xxxx from my address to reply by e-mail"

>A while ago, I would have agreed with this. However, after having been
>subjected to the amount of spam mail that one gets from being a fairly
>active poster to various news groups, I have changed my mind.
>Henrik Storner                           http://eolicom.olicom.dk/~storner/

I have to agree with both of you.

It is annoying not being simply able to hit the reply button and send
an email, but we have been forced in this position by the spammers.

If you ever let your email address reach a newsgroup - you will get
spam. I have only ever got spam by stupidly posting my email address.

The net is being ruined by commercially-minded morons.

Spog

Post by Johann Snyma » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> It is annoying not being simply able to hit the reply button and send
> an email, but we have been forced in this position by the spammers.

> If you ever let your email address reach a newsgroup - you will get
> spam. I have only ever got spam by stupidly posting my email address.

> The net is being ruined by commercially-minded morons.

I agree with that last statement, but I won't hide my Email address. Actually, I
welcome spam. On those days you feel angry etc. you've got somebody to take it
out on... :)

---

The confusion of a staff member is measured by the length of his memos.
                -- New York Times, Jan. 20, 1981
Linux DragonWing 2.0.27

1. Someone to tell me how to recognize calling terminal

The subject is clear (I hope): I'd like to know how do I do to ask the
connected terminal to send me its own identifier, to setup the term
variable in a sensible way during login.

Any help will be appreciated.

I'd be grateful if you could mail or CC your replies to my own mail
address.

Yours,

lorenzo

2. Error initializing partition during installation

3. can someone tell me what I am missing here?

4. Compute IP header checksum - How???

5. PPP Dedicated Line Script

6. console server: Makers?

7. Incoming e-mail / security - Can someone tell me what this means?

8. Can someone tell me the best free news server

9. can someone tell me where is this news server address.

10. Active email and news (was Mozilla droppings in email...)

11. I'm reposting this in a hope someone will reply!