Linux/Win95 Dual Boot? Can it be done?

Post by Eric W Bur » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Is there any way i could set my computer up to boot in either
Linux or win95?  i've got a pentium 90 with lots of hard disk
space :-)

--
      Eric Burns, http://www.cs.usm.maine.edu/~burns
   Computer Science Major, University of Southern Maine

Linux/Win95 Dual Boot? Can it be done?

Post by Gerry To » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there any way i could set my computer up to boot in either
>Linux or win95?  i've got a pentium 90 with lots of hard disk
>space :-)

Yes, you can do it either with Loadlin or LILO.  I use LILO,
installing it to replace the Master Boot Record of the first disk.
See the LILO Mini-HOWTO and the LILO User's Guide that comes with the
LILO distribution.

This works great - you can choose which system is the default,
automatically booting to either one, and at a temporary prompt, you
can manually select the system to be booted.

<< Gerry                     (Gerry Tool)

Post by mumfo » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there any way i could set my computer up to boot in either
>Linux or win95?  i've got a pentium 90 with lots of hard disk
>space :-)

Sure, use lilo... there's a win95+linux howto at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw

--

PGPprint = E3 0F DE CC 94 72 D1 1A  2D 2E A9 08 6B A0 CD 82
Why did the mathematician name his dog Cauchy?

Linux/Win95 Dual Boot? Can it be done?

Post by Eugene Choo » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,
        I wonder anyone out the can provide me the adduser and deluser
source code or perhaps the sites that I can download thanx!!

Post by Chap » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Is there any way i could set my computer up to boot in either
> Linux or win95?  i've got a pentium 90 with lots of hard disk
> space :-)

> --
>       Eric Burns, http://www.cs.usm.maine.edu/~burns
>    Computer Science Major, University of Southern Maine

I'm rather new at Linux, but I'll try to answer your question as best I
can.  What you need to do is use the LInux LOader (LILO).  If you are
using slackware (as I am) it is easily configured in the Color144 setup
program.  Otherwise you will have to create/modify the /etc/lilo.conf
file to tell lilo how to load and run lilo to set it up.  There are
several good documents available on doing this.  Try the HOWTO files. (I
belive they are available at ftp://sunsute.unc.edu).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Chap.

Post by Mark Komarins » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Is there any way i could set my computer up to boot in either
: Linux or win95?  i've got a pentium 90 with lots of hard disk
: space :-)

Best suggestion if you start with a clean system: Install Linux first,
then Win95.  After installing Linux, keep the boot disk, since Win96 5
will overwrite LILO.  Then boot with the boot disk, reinstall LILO,
and viola!  Dual-boot.

I did it last weekend, so drop me a line if you get stuck.

I think there's a mini-HOWTO also.

-Mark

--

Linux: Commercial software gone horribly wrong.

Linux/Win95 Dual Boot? Can it be done?

Post by Eric W Bur » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I'd just like to thank everyone for their help.  I was able to
install linux, and have a dual-bootable system at this very
moment :-).  I received 10+ responses, otherwise I'd thank
everyone individually (gosh, this is a helpful group)!

-Eric

:
: I did it last weekend, so drop me a line if you get stuck.
:
: I think there's a mini-HOWTO also.
:
: -Mark
:
        how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
        thanx..
Fryguy_

Post by Jason Moor » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> : Best suggestion if you start with a clean system: Install Linux first,
> : then Win95.  After installing Linux, keep the boot disk, since Win96 5
> : will overwrite LILO.  Then boot with the boot disk, reinstall LILO,
> : and viola!  Dual-boot.
> :
> : I did it last weekend, so drop me a line if you get stuck.
> :
> : I think there's a mini-HOWTO also.
> :
> : -Mark
> :
>         how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
>         thanx..
> Fryguy_

If you have win95 installed and you want to run linux, you are going to have to either:

a) get a new drive and make a linux partition on it (linux swap, linux native)

b) backup your old drive and repartition it so there are linux as well as a DOS partitions.

Once you have this setup, you can muck about all you want in in the linux partitions without
worrying about nukeing your DOS (aka Win95) apps and data.

Is that enough to get you started?

:jason

Linux/Win95 Dual Boot? Can it be done?

Post by Leo Gre » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: >

: >

[snip]

: >         how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
: >         thanx..
: > Fryguy_

: If you have win95 installed and you want to run linux, you are going to have to either:

: a) get a new drive and make a linux partition on it (linux swap, linux native)

: b) backup your old drive and repartition it so there are linux as well as a DOS partitions.

: Once you have this setup, you can muck about all you want in in the linux partitions without
: worrying about nukeing your DOS (aka Win95) apps and data.

: Is that enough to get you started?

: :jason

there is a utility called FIPS.EXE on sunsite somewhere that will let you
non-destructively repartition a drive...

all you have to do is defrag it so all the free space is contigious, FIPS
it, and BAM!

works with VFAT, too.

Post by Rodney Fu » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> : Best suggestion if you start with a clean system: Install Linux first,
>> : then Win95.  After installing Linux, keep the boot disk, since Win96 5
>> : will overwrite LILO.  Then boot with the boot disk, reinstall LILO,
>> : and viola!  Dual-boot.
>> :
>> : I did it last weekend, so drop me a line if you get stuck.
>> :
>> : I think there's a mini-HOWTO also.
>> :
>> : -Mark
>> :
>>         how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
>>         thanx..
>> Fryguy_
>If you have win95 installed and you want to run linux, you are going to have to either:
>a) get a new drive and make a linux partition on it (linux swap, linux native)
>b) backup your old drive and repartition it so there are linux as well as a DOS partitions.
>Once you have this setup, you can muck about all you want in in the linux partitions without
>worrying about nukeing your DOS (aka Win95) apps and data.
>Is that enough to get you started?
>:jason

So you mean I can reboot on my system with the boot floppy I made up
and just rewrite lilo to my MBR just like I did on my old win 3.1
system and it will work fine? Or is there a newer version of lilo out
since win 95 came out?

I have been using a boot floppy to get into linux since I got win 95
cause I expected the old lilo to not be compatible?

Post by Robin Becke » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>: >

>: >

>[snip]

>: >         how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
>: >         thanx..
>: > Fryguy_

>: If you have win95 installed and you want to run linux, you are going to have
>to either:

>: a) get a new drive and make a linux partition on it (linux swap, linux native)

>: b) backup your old drive and repartition it so there are linux as well as a
>DOS partitions.

>: Once you have this setup, you can muck about all you want in in the linux
>partitions without
>: worrying about nukeing your DOS (aka Win95) apps and data.

>: Is that enough to get you started?

>: :jason

>there is a utility called FIPS.EXE on sunsite somewhere that will let you
>non-destructively repartition a drive...

>all you have to do is defrag it so all the free space is contigious, FIPS
>it, and BAM!

>works with VFAT, too.

That's exactly what I did, I got away with it even though I didn't
understand the difference between DOS & VFAT FS's at the time. I did
most of the partitioning using a Linux recovery disk; it's a real pity
we can't defrag, fips & repartion all from inside Linux; I felt real
unsafe using win95 for the defrag, DOS5.1 for the FIPS & Linux for the
partioning. It all worked though thanks to the FIPS developers :)
--
Robin Becker

Post by j. anders » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>: >

>: >
>[snip]
>: >         how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
>: >         thanx..
>: > Fryguy_
>: If you have win95 installed and you want to run linux, you are going to have to either:
>: a) get a new drive and make a linux partition on it (linux swap, linux native)
>: b) backup your old drive and repartition it so there are linux as well as a DOS partitions.
>: Once you have this setup, you can muck about all you want in in the linux partitions without
>: worrying about nukeing your DOS (aka Win95) apps and data.
>: Is that enough to get you started?
>: :jason
>there is a utility called FIPS.EXE on sunsite somewhere that will let you
>non-destructively repartition a drive...
>all you have to do is defrag it so all the free space is contigious, FIPS
>it, and BAM!
>works with VFAT, too.

There's another one called presizer (presz112.zip-- I think), nice
docs...

:)

Post by Alex Megalokonom » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>: >

>>: >

>>[snip]

>>: >         how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
>>: >         thanx..
>>: > Fryguy_

>>: If you have win95 installed and you want to run linux, you are going to have to either:

>>: a) get a new drive and make a linux partition on it (linux swap, linux native)

>>: b) backup your old drive and repartition it so there are linux as well as a DOS partitions.

>>: Once you have this setup, you can muck about all you want in in the linux partitions without
>>: worrying about nukeing your DOS (aka Win95) apps and data.

>>: Is that enough to get you started?

>>: :jason

>>there is a utility called FIPS.EXE on sunsite somewhere that will let you
>>non-destructively repartition a drive...

>>all you have to do is defrag it so all the free space is contigious, FIPS
>>it, and BAM!

>>works with VFAT, too.

>There's another one called presizer (presz112.zip-- I think), nice
>docs...

>:)

There is also a commercial program called Partition magic that does the same job and is
considered really foolproof...

Alex

Post by Patricia A. Sw » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>> : Best suggestion if you start with a clean system: Install Linux first,
>>> : then Win95.  After installing Linux, keep the boot disk, since Win96 5
>>> : will overwrite LILO.  Then boot with the boot disk, reinstall LILO,
>>> : and viola!  Dual-boot.
>>> :
>>> : I did it last weekend, so drop me a line if you get stuck.
>>> :
>>> : I think there's a mini-HOWTO also.
>>> :
>>> : -Mark
>>> :
>>>         how do you do it if you already have win95 installed??
>>>         thanx..
>>> Fryguy_

>>If you have win95 installed and you want to run linux, you are going to have to either:

>>a) get a new drive and make a linux partition on it (linux swap, linux native)

>>b) backup your old drive and repartition it so there are linux as well as a DOS partitions.

>>Once you have this setup, you can muck about all you want in in the linux partitions without
>>worrying about nukeing your DOS (aka Win95) apps and data.

>>Is that enough to get you started?

>>:jason
>So you mean I can reboot on my system with the boot floppy I made up
>and just rewrite lilo to my MBR just like I did on my old win 3.1
>system and it will work fine? Or is there a newer version of lilo out
>since win 95 came out?

>I have been using a boot floppy to get into linux since I got win 95
>cause I expected the old lilo to not be compatible?

I can't testify to what an earlier version of Linux will do, but
Slackware 3.0's LILO can use the MBR just fine when installed
after Win95.

My set up:

Seagate 850 meg
/dev/hda1 Win16, and Dos7 boot files for Win95 (16 bit boot
requires floppy with dos 6.21)
/dev/hda2 Linux Swap
/dev/hda3 Linux partition

maxtor 1.6 gig
/dev/hdb  Windows95 OS and mostly 32 bit software

Maxtor 1.2 gig
/dev/hdc  Mix of 16 bit and 32 bit Windows software

/dev/hda1 is mounted as /dosc
/dev/hdb is mounted as /dosd
/dev/hdc is mounted as /dose

I installed Linux from the Win95 partition, and in setup I
started with a new LILO file, put Linux as default boot, Win95 as
secondary boot, used the MBR instead of the Superblock, and set
it to give me 30 seconds to decide if I want to boot to Dos.
It's booted flawlessly everytime.  There had also been a lot of
posts on this group about how Win95 *absolutely* had to be on
/dev/hda, but all that really *has* to be there are it's boot
files.  As long as you're not trying to move the OS after
installation, the bulk of the OS can go on another HD and the
installation routine will correctly write the Master Boot Record
and the necessary boot files to the boot partition on c:
(/dev/hda).

Patrick Volkerding has recommended that even if you need the bulk
of the /dev/hda disk for Linux, you go ahead and make a tiny Dos
partition (about 5 megs) to hold Dos (version 6.22 or earlier,
Dos7 is a subdirectory under Win95 now) and all the boot files.
I have a slightly oversized version of that to hold my Win16 OS,
16 bit ppp dialer, and 16 bit copies of critical software like
Word.  My Win95 tends to be extremely stable except under one
condition: hardware modifications.  For me Plug and Play is
definately Plug and PRAY, and I have a fully internet-capable
backup Win16 OS I can boot to as needed that will access my
Eudora and Agent files, that also has a 16-bit copy of Netcape.
I haven't moved an awful lot of stuff over to Linux yet because
all my email, news, and moderation archives are on the Windows
platform.

--
*Patricia A. Swan, moderator, rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated*

1. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

Hi:

I've got a 266 PII PC with one EIDE hard-drive with Win95 installed.  I want
to add a second EIDE hard drive (probably around 4-6 Gb) and install RH
Linux 5.1 plus some other Linux s/w (like Oracle8.0.5 pre-production
release!  Yew!).  I want to be able to choose which O/S (ie. which
hard-drive) I boot from at power-on.  I'm not real good with hardware and
low-level stuff.  Do I need to purchase a good boot-loader?  Is there one
that anyone would recommend that works very well and is simple (and safe!)
to install for choosing boot between Linux and Win95?

Doubly thankful if you would respond via email as well as posting here!

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. Trouble getting SATAN to work on my RS/6000 unit.

3. ipchains

4. how to dual boot Win95 + DOS (no linux) ?

5. Getting the other file ...

6. Dual Homed Linux - what am I doing wrong?

7. test, please ignore

8. Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system

9. New to Linux, How can you make a dual boot of Linux and Win95?

10. Dual boot linux/Win95 and linux hardware compatibility problems

11. Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

12. Yet Another Linux/Win95 Dual-Boot Hopeful