Linux-2.0.12 kernel compilation and associated problems (no rule to make target **mrproper**)

Post by Nick Bridget » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> After a kernel compliation I am no longer able to clean files for a new
> kernel compilation using "make mrproper".

> I recently compiled the Linux-2.0.12 kernel with no noticeable problems,
> but rarely used the 'modules' option in the compilation and so ended up
> with a large kernel (the kernel daemon was compiled into this kernel).
> Problems occurred after a second compilation where the modules option was
> used heavily (PPP, sound, ethernet card etc.) and the kernel daemon
> (kerneld) was compiled into the kernel as before.

> In both cases using the usual process of building a kernel in X-windows:
> cd /usr/include
> rm -rf asm linux scsi
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make mrproper
> make xconfig

> and in each case the following error was flagged:

> WARNING - broken Config.in!  CONFIG_AEDSP16 was not declared!

> The kernel was then built using:

> make dep ; make clean
> make zImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> etc. .....

> In this second kernel compilation I learned that I had been a little
> overzealous in trying to move code out of the kernel into modules
> (some filesystems mounted during boot were not supported from the
> kernel), and the re-boot failed.  I re-booted from a boot-floppy and
> moved the first kernel image to /vmlinuz, re-ran /sbin/lilo, and
> then rebooted the first kernel image intending to re-compile the kernel
> using fewer 'module options'.

> However, when running through the above steps the process failed on:
> make mrproper
> with the message:
> no rule to make target: *** mrproper ***

> What may have happened?  Has anything similar happened to anyone else
> with this kernel?  How should I go about fixing it?  I re-loaded the
> kernel source code with the same result as above.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

I should have mentioned that I upgraded my libc to 5.2.18 after noticing
a broken flock () emulation on boot {fcntl_setlk() called by process
##(lpd)} as recommended in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes, so this
may be the source of the problem.  I would still appreciate any
suggestions as to how this problem may be fixed.

Nick

*                                             *
*     Nick Bridgett                           *

*                                             *

> [...]

> then rebooted the first kernel image intending to re-compile the kernel
> using fewer 'module options'.

> However, when running through the above steps the process failed on:
> make mrproper
> with the message:
> no rule to make target: *** mrproper ***

> What may have happened?  Has anything similar happened to anyone else
> with this kernel?  How should I go about fixing it?  I re-loaded the
> kernel source code with the same result as above.  Any help would be
> appreciated.--------
> I should have mentioned that I upgraded my libc to 5.2.18 after noticing
> a broken flock () emulation on boot {fcntl_setlk() called by process
> ##(lpd)} as recommended in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes, so this
> may be the source of the problem.  I would still appreciate any
> suggestions as to how this problem may be fixed.

Thanks to Bruce S. Babcock and Alan Curry for their helpful replies:
apparently the problem was with libc which caused make to break.

Quote:Alan Curry writes:

"Somewhere along the way, I don't remember in which version, libc broke
make. You need to get a fixed version of make. There's a patch for
make-3.74 in the release notes, but I think there's probably a version with
the patch already applied floating around out there. Look for the newest
version of make you can find, and things should be better.

The problem is it doesn't find the Makefile unless you tell it where to
look, so in the interim you can use "make -f Makefile mrproper", and
make -f Makefile everything_else too."

and Bruce S. Babcock writes:
You need to upgrade your make binary. Grab and compile:

/pub/Linux/devel/make/make-3.74.patched.tar.gz"

Thanks guys; I hope that this helps anyone else with similar problems

Nick

 and Bruce S. Babcock writes:
 You need to upgrade your make binary. Grab and compile:

 /pub/Linux/devel/make/make-3.74.patched.tar.gz"

 Thanks guys; I hope that this helps anyone else with similar problems

 Nick

"The libc upgrade is the problem with the "no rule ...". Get
dirent.tar.gz and replace your "make" utility. Should fix. I had the
same problem and it took 3 weeks of floundering until someone told me
about it."

1. make: *** No rule to make target 'mrproper'...

     I've been playing with Mandrake 7.2 for the past couple of weeks
and would like to check the kernel to see if I've got the SCSI module
installed, plus a few other things.  But I can't get past Step 1.
Same thing if I bypass mrproper and try 'make xconfig'.
     Am I missing a package?  Yes, I'm root.  Yes, I'm in
/usr/src/linux.
     tia...

2. Shell Script Problem

3. Wanted: LLNLXFTP

4. iptables: rule with RETURN target just after a rule with ACCEPT target

5. Threads question

6. iptables: rule with RETURN target after a rule with the ACCEPT target

7. Optimizing compilation

8. Problems Compiling Kernel 2.2.14: "No rule to make target"

9. ftape and Linux-2.0.12

10. Kernel Change Summary pre2.0.12

11. THIRD REQUEST for Linux 0.12

12. REQUEST: for Linux 0.12